The Student Room Group

it's so ****ing cold! swimming pool advice?

The pool at my gym is broken and it isn't heated. It is unbelievably cold.

i did some research and depending on temperature, I shouldn't swim for more than 20 minutes in 12C. If I'm still cold after 10 minutes swimming it says to get out.

On Friday I did 12 minutes and was shivering. When I got out and showered I was shivering then it was 26C outside on my walk to my car - still shaking. I had to put the heat on full all the way home.

Thing is, I have no idea if I'm just overreacting as I have no way to measure the temperature of the pool. I want to lose weight and I'm unsure if I need to man up or if this is a bad idea. Am I a pussy?

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps restrict yourself to ten minutes on each occasion. People who swim year round in seas seem to get used to it, though I've noticed many either wear wetsuits or are women with one piece costumes.
wait until it gets cooler? Or find a different swimming pool to go to, tho if thats true idg why they'd keep the pool open until its fixed
Reply 3
Original post by nikkiblonsky
wait until it gets cooler? Or find a different swimming pool to go to, tho if thats true idg why they'd keep the pool open until its fixed

Why would I wait until it's even cooler? :confused:

This is the university gym.
I go wild swimming in seas and lakes but I wear a wetsuit. It’s dangerous to swim in low teen temperatures past 15 minutes unprotected. If you’re in the water and you can feel cold that means you’ve already been in for too long. The most dangerous time is ten minutes after getting out because your body temp will still be low even after you get out
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
Why would I wait until it's even cooler? :confused:

This is the university gym.

I meant maybe like in spring or summer(ik thats like ages away) but better than being cold all the time or like I said find another pool
Reply 6
Original post by Smeraldettoi
I go wild swimming in seas and lakes but I wear a wetsuit. It’s dangerous to swim in low teen temperatures past 15 minutes unprotected. If you’re in the water and you can feel cold that means you’ve already been in for too long. The most dangerous time is ten minutes after getting out because your body temp will still be low even after you get out

I don't really want to invest in a wetsuit for a few weeks while they fix this.

But yeah, I was so damn cold after getting out the pool. I don't know what temperature it was except COLD. :tongue:
Reply 7
I meant maybe like in spring or summer(ik thats like ages away) but better than being cold all the time or like I said find another pool

It's an indoor pool.
I don't really want to invest in a wetsuit for a few weeks while they fix this.

But yeah, I was so damn cold after getting out the pool. I don't know what temperature it was except COLD. :tongue:

Maybe it would be better to just refrain from swimming whilst it’s fixed? Is there no other pool nearby
It's an indoor pool.

maybe wait until the pool is fixed?
Maybe it would be better to just refrain from swimming whilst it’s fixed? Is there no other pool nearby

Nah, I live in a college town, there's no other pool.

I'm trying to lose weight so this is really frustrating. :frown:
maybe wait until the pool is fixed?

I just wanted to know if I'm overreacting. :smile:

try other ways of losing weight?(Like different types of excercise like running taking up a sport etc)
I just wanted to know if I'm overreacting. :smile:

nah
Could you get a cheap wetsuit? 2/3mm would probably be enough and thin wetsuits are pretty cheap. You could always use it for wild swimming later on if you are into that sort of thing.
(edited 2 years ago)

Looks like you’ll be hitting the communal gym like the rest of the non swimming peasants :wink:

I mean 5-10 minutes won’t hurt you and it’d probably boost your metabolism, but it depends on precisely how cold the water is. We went swimming in silfra fissure in Iceland which was 1-2 degree water. Nobody would survive past 1 or 2 minutes in there without a dry suit underneath a wetsuit like we had. Don’t overdo it and listen to what your body’s telling you
Looks like you’ll be hitting the communal gym like the rest of the non swimming peasants :wink:

I mean 5-10 minutes won’t hurt you and it’d probably boost your metabolism, but it depends on precisely how cold the water is. We went swimming in silfra fissure in Iceland which was 1-2 degree water. Nobody would survive past 1 or 2 minutes in there without a dry suit underneath a wetsuit like we had. Don’t overdo it and listen to what your body’s telling you

It's way above 2 degrees but I have no way of measuring it.

I didn't go yesterday as the idea of swimming in the freezing pool made me avoid it. But it's a pain in the ass as I want to lose weight :frown: Just thinking about shivering in the car on the way home and how unpleasant that is.
Is there a sauna poolside you could go into when you get out?
Original post by mondays child
Is there a sauna poolside you could go into when you get out?

That would be awesome, but no. :frown:

I am trying to decide whether to go to the pool when I finish work today. On one hand it's extremely unpleasant, on the other I want to lose weight.
(edited 2 years ago)
Change your gym

Quick Reply

Latest