The Student Room Group

Hi i am an international student from Korea

I am in y13 and I moved to England last year.
If you have any questions about korea or just anything in general you want to talk about leave a comment.
I am very bored right now so will be able to reply to anything :smile:

Scroll to see replies

why did you move to England?
When are you going to do your millitary service?
Original post by Jichi
If you have any questions about korea or just anything in general you want to talk about leave a comment.

Do you have a sister?
Reply 4
Original post by heart2you
why did you move to England?

Because of my dad’s job. He worked at a bank in korea and was transferred to the same korean bank in England so our whole family moved
Reply 5
Original post by hungrysalamander
When are you going to do your millitary service?

I am actually a girl so I don’t need to go but my brother needs to. Some people go early like when they are in university but it depends on your situation really. But most enlist before 29
Are schools in Korea really different to England?
Reply 7
Are schools in Korea really different to England?

YES so much different and much more pressure. In alevels you can choose subjects but in korea you have so many compulsory subjects. Like you have to do at least 2 science and everyone has to do math, history, Korean, English. And to get good grades in the school, you have to be in the top 4%. So only 12 people can get an A* out of 300 people. We have 4 big tests each year in school and it isn’t like those mini class tests. Also everyone goes to cram schools. It is a big thing here. After school we go to cram schools for different subjects like math. And finish at 10 pm (it is set as a law because many of those cram schools were open till midnight). . Before I moved to England I was so stressed out because of the harsh education system. No wonder why Korea has such a high suicide rate.
Original post by Jichi
YES so much different and much more pressure. In alevels you can choose subjects but in korea you have so many compulsory subjects. Like you have to do at least 2 science and everyone has to do math, history, Korean, English. And to get good grades in the school, you have to be in the top 4%. So only 12 people can get an A* out of 300 people. We have 4 big tests each year in school and it isn’t like those mini class tests. Also everyone goes to cram schools. It is a big thing here. After school we go to cram schools for different subjects like math. And finish at 10 pm (it is set as a law because many of those cram schools were open till midnight). . Before I moved to England I was so stressed out because of the harsh education system. No wonder why Korea has such a high suicide rate.

oh wow :eek:
so do you find school easier here in England?
Reply 9
oh wow :eek:
so do you find school easier here in England?

Yep much more. I feel like I am in heaven😂 listening to the struggles my korean friends go through makes me realise how education outside of east asia is much more better. I am so glad I didn’t go to highschool in Korea I might have killed myself tbh
What's the timetable for a korean student on weekdays? And what's your local education system looks like? Is advanced education the only path to a decent life?
Original post by Jichi

Bibimbap is one of my favourite meals so if you have a good recipe I'd love to have it!
Reply 12
Original post by Robsmith23
Bibimbap is one of my favourite meals so if you have a good recipe I'd love to have it!

wow that is nice to hear!! Unfortunately I am not a good cook so I don’t have a recipe🥲 but you will find good ones on youtube!
Reply 13
Original post by show some mercy
What's the timetable for a korean student on weekdays? And what's your local education system looks like? Is advanced education the only path to a decent life?

I’ve left a comment about education so you can read that one! On the weekends students go to cram schools and mostly study the whole day. And yes currently in korea advanced education is a path to decent life. Unless you are super talented in one area like music or sports most people go to university. But there are different type of highschools in korea. One is 특성화고 where you learn things like handling machines or fashion etc. those are aimed to get a job after you graduate highschool. But the way people view those schools aren’t really good. Also for some jobs university graduates will be paid more than people who just graduated a 특성화 school. I don’t think this high pressure on education will change. Quite sad.
im really interested in the language and culture. do you know any good websites or anything to help me learn the language easily? also what are the traditions you have for holidays are just in general?
Are you planning on going to university here or somewhere else?
Also I am trying to learn the language haha
Reply 16
Original post by hey yall
im really interested in the language and culture. do you know any good websites or anything to help me learn the language easily? also what are the traditions you have for holidays are just in general?

Well I personally don’t recommend using the grammar books. Cus some expressions are very awkward. If you like watching kdramas they will definitely help. I haven’t really learned korean through books or watching videos since I am a native speaker so I don’t know any useful resources sorry for that😭 and for traditions, we usually celebrate 추석 and 설날. on 설날 we always eat 떡국 as breakfast. We also go to see our grandparents and relatives. some give us money. That is the reason why I love 설날 hehe. and on 추석 we eat which is like rice cakes but they come in various types. I love eating them. I actually had them this year in England with my family. Also the whole family makes traditional food and some play games like 윷놀이. but I think this tradition is slowly fading away. i haven’t seen many families playing those games and some families don’t even come to see their grandparents and prefer to go on a trip outside of korea. My family isn’t that traditional so we just go to see our relatives and stay there for a day just talking about what we were up to. Oh and many young korean people hate 추석 and 설날 because it is very uncomfortable when your relatives keep talking about your school grades, your face, if you have gotten a job or not, and if you are married or not. The comparisons between the cousins and personal questions you get are stressful for teenagers and people in their early 20s.
Original post by Jichi
Well I personally don’t recommend using the grammar books. Cus some expressions are very awkward. If you like watching kdramas they will definitely help. I haven’t really learned korean through books or watching videos since I am a native speaker so I don’t know any useful resources sorry for that😭 and for traditions, we usually celebrate 추석 and 설날. on 설날 we always eat 떡국 as breakfast. We also go to see our grandparents and relatives. some give us money. That is the reason why I love 설날 hehe. and on 추석 we eat which is like rice cakes but they come in various types. I love eating them. I actually had them this year in England with my family. Also the whole family makes traditional food and some play games like 윷놀이. but I think this tradition is slowly fading away. i haven’t seen many families playing those games and some families don’t even come to see their grandparents and prefer to go on a trip outside of korea. My family isn’t that traditional so we just go to see our relatives and stay there for a day just talking about what we were up to. Oh and many young korean people hate 추석 and 설날 because it is very uncomfortable when your relatives keep talking about your school grades, your face, if you have gotten a job or not, and if you are married or not. The comparisons between the cousins and personal questions you get are stressful for teenagers and people in their early 20s.

i havent watched kdramas but i wanna do you know where i can?
could you translate that for me? :colondollar: i may be interested in the language but i dont know much other than hi :colondollar:
Reply 18
Original post by hey yall
i havent watched kdramas but i wanna do you know where i can?
could you translate that for me? :colondollar: i may be interested in the language but i dont know much other than hi :colondollar:

Sure! A lot of kdramas are on netflix and I heard that some people watch it on websites like dramacool. But I don’t know if they are legal. Probably netflix is the best site to watch. If you like romance you can watch ‘crash landing on you’ which was very popular. If you like comedy I recommend ‘슬기로운 깜빵생활’ which is one of my favorite. Oh and ‘kingdom’ is a zombie drama which is also very good. It doesn’t contain any romantic scenes but really wild zombies so if you are into that genre you can watch it.
Original post by Jichi
Sure! A lot of kdramas are on netflix and I heard that some people watch it on websites like dramacool. But I don’t know if they are legal. Probably netflix is the best site to watch. If you like romance you can watch ‘crash landing on you’ which was very popular. If you like comedy I recommend ‘슬기로운 깜빵생활’ which is one of my favorite. Oh and ‘kingdom’ is a zombie drama which is also very good. It doesn’t contain any romantic scenes but really wild zombies so if you are into that genre you can watch it.

damn i havent got netflix but ill look into it thanks!
i love zombies haha

Quick Reply

Latest