The Student Room Group

Cyclist

Have you ever been really close to running over a cyclist which was the cyclist fault, where you also shook after the almost accident?
Reply 1
Original post by Hysmad
Have you ever been really close to running over a cyclist which was the cyclist fault, where you also shook after the almost accident?

You're probably not paying enough attention if you're almost having an accident with a cyclist. Part of driving is observing the road ahead and anticipating what could happen.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
You're probably not paying enough attention if you're almost having an accident with a cyclist. Part of driving is observing the road ahead and anticipating what could happen.

Not really tbh it was one of those suicide cyclists totally oblivious to what’s going on, I saw him last second when I had priority and he didn’t. Luckily reacted and didn’t go on the throttle, didn’t have to brake either since I was going so slow just waiting for another car to stop for me.
Twice for me, both times it's been a child shooting out between parked cars with a deathwish

One of them was actually a toddler on a trike who was too low for me to see at all, I only stopped as i was mildly curious why a small pink pom-pom was travelling along my car bonnet (her hat) I was already going slow so was able to stop undramatically, but when i saw the parents a good 50m ahead cycling and deep in conversation about sticking French wines up their As or such, paying utterly 0 attention to toddlers on TRIKES weaving and zipping around cars on a main road behind them my blood proper boiled... so wanted to smack them off their bikes, pull over and give the guy a kicking etc, even shout in passing how they were dangerous disgraces as parents, but doing any of those things would have made things less safe... grrr.
Reply 4
Original post by Hysmad
Not really tbh it was one of those suicide cyclists totally oblivious to what’s going on, I saw him last second when I had priority and he didn’t. Luckily reacted and didn’t go on the throttle, didn’t have to brake either since I was going so slow just waiting for another car to stop for me.

Regardless of whether you had priority or not, you should be observing what's going on and anticipating things to happen even if they shouldn't. That's safe driving.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Regardless of whether you had priority or not, you should be observing what's going on and anticipating things to happen even if they shouldn't. That's safe driving.

I always so and have saved a lot of situations by anticipating what can happen. This situation which I was in was really hard to anticipate, it was almost like the cyclist wanted to get hit.
Reply 6
Original post by Hysmad
I always so and have saved a lot of situations by anticipating what can happen. This situation which I was in was really hard to anticipate, it was almost like the cyclist wanted to get hit.

So what happened?
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
So what happened?

I came to a crossing, in which I had priority, the crossing is a bit complicated so you have to slow down a lot to see if car are going to give way to you. Just before the crossing there's a pedestrians crossing and I looked to see if there was any pedestrians which it wasn’t. So there I came creeping forward slowly to see if cars would give way, I’m moving really slow almost coming to a stop and then when I see that the car stops for me I go ahead and start moving off, when throwing a last glance to where I’m going I see a cyclist is riding over the pedestrians crossing just a meter in front of me. I stop moving off so I don’t hit the cyclist. It’s really hard to put into perspective but I’m going to try my best. From where the cyclist came it’s pretty hard to see. I was moving forward covering most of the pedestrians crossing since I had looked before the crossing and knew I would be able to move of in a a sec. So the cyclist though it was smart to cycle over the small bit of crossing that was not covered by me while I was moving slowly forward and when not having priority. It’s really hard to explain, the cyclist did a maneuver in front of me that was very unpredictable because of the circumstances, and it was only close because the cyclist went over the space on the pedestrians crossing not covered by my car. I did see the cyclists in time and reacted accordingly, it could have been much worse.
Reply 8
Original post by Hysmad
I came to a crossing, in which I had priority, the crossing is a bit complicated so you have to slow down a lot to see if car are going to give way to you. Just before the crossing there's a pedestrians crossing and I looked to see if there was any pedestrians which it wasn’t. So there I came creeping forward slowly to see if cars would give way, I’m moving really slow almost coming to a stop and then when I see that the car stops for me I go ahead and start moving off, when throwing a last glance to where I’m going I see a cyclist is riding over the pedestrians crossing just a meter in front of me. I stop moving off so I don’t hit the cyclist. It’s really hard to put into perspective but I’m going to try my best. From where the cyclist came it’s pretty hard to see. I was moving forward covering most of the pedestrians crossing since I had looked before the crossing and knew I would be able to move of in a a sec. So the cyclist though it was smart to cycle over the small bit of crossing that was not covered by me while I was moving slowly forward and when not having priority. It’s really hard to explain, the cyclist did a maneuver in front of me that was very unpredictable because of the circumstances, and it was only close because the cyclist went over the space on the pedestrians crossing not covered by my car. I did see the cyclists in time and reacted accordingly, it could have been much worse.

Sorry, I can't make heads nor tails of the situation.
Reply 9
Original post by IWMTom
Sorry, I can't make heads nor tails of the situation.

No, I’m sorry I have a really hard time to put it in perspective. Simply put… I was showing all signs of moving off, by rolling slowly forward crossing a pedestrians crossing with most of my car. A cyclist who though he could go out in front of me with a meter to spare whilst I was still rolling forward about to go made me brake hard since I wasn’t ready for it at all, I saw him last second when I was about to move off so I didn’t hit him. The cyclist made a really unpredictable choice to go in front of my car when he really wasn’t able to but he did anyway and I reacted by not running him over. I hope that is clearer but idk I’m trying my best:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Hysmad
No, I’m sorry I have a really hard time to put it in perspective. Simply put… I was showing all signs of moving off, by rolling slowly forward crossing a pedestrians crossing with most of my car. A cyclist who though he could go out in front of me with a meter to spare whilst I was still rolling forward about to go made me brake hard since I wasn’t ready for it at all, I saw him last second when I was about to move off so I didn’t hit him. The cyclist made a really unpredictable choice to go in front of my car when he really wasn’t able to but he did anyway and I reacted by not running him over. I hope that is clearer but idk I’m trying my best:smile:

By pedestrian crossing, which type are you referring to?
Reply 11
Original post by IWMTom
By pedestrian crossing, which type are you referring to?

Zebra crossing
Reply 12
Original post by Hysmad
Zebra crossing

So the cyclist was using the zebra crossing?
Reply 13
Original post by IWMTom
So the cyclist was using the zebra crossing?

Yes
Reply 14
Original post by Hysmad
Yes

Was it a zebra crossing next to a cycle path?
Reply 15
Original post by IWMTom
Was it a zebra crossing next to a cycle path?

What do you mean? Oh now I get it, no there wasn’t, the cyclist didn’t have priory.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hysmad
Yes

If a cyclist was using a zebra crossing, you should have stopped. Anyone using a zebra crossing has priority.
Reply 17
Original post by black tea
If a cyclist was using a zebra crossing, you should have stopped. Anyone using a zebra crossing has priority.

I did stop, they only have priority if they walk the cycle over, and of course they have priority if they are already on the crossing, in this case the cyclist wasn’t.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending