The Student Room Group

Unis

I have the same issue and this wasn’t the initial route I planned to take and so my a-levels don’t really cater towards the career I’m working towards now. I took Alevel Media Studies, Product Design and Sociology and Epq on Psychology.
I don’t really have a proper science which has hindered me for my uni choices
Would Russel Group uni’s still take me if the requirement is suggests a science is ‘preferred’ or will it be a wasted spot for my top5.
Original post by __evienne__
I have the same issue and this wasn’t the initial route I planned to take and so my a-levels don’t really cater towards the career I’m working towards now. I took Alevel Media Studies, Product Design and Sociology and Epq on Psychology.
I don’t really have a proper science which has hindered me for my uni choices
Would Russel Group uni’s still take me if the requirement is suggests a science is ‘preferred’ or will it be a wasted spot for my top5.

Hi!
They would most likely consider you so I would say to go for it!
I would suggest applying for some uni's such as those you mentioned, but have some safe fall-back options just in case.
I would also recommend utilising your A levels in your person statement. Try to find a way to make them relate to the degree you want to study.
For example, the time management that you learnt from having to keep to deadlines on media projects would help in any degree as it is a relevant skill that you learnt.
Also, your EPQ shows that you have a passion for the sciences as you chose to do Psychology, so use this to your advantage too!
Hope this helps!
Michaela - UoP Rep :smile:
Firstly, to OP:
- There is no harm in putting 1 or 2 RG unis down in UCAS. But... be aware that those at the top a) ask for 2 (and EPQ in psych doesn't count as one) sciences and b) for good reason. A lot of these RG unis are very neuro/bio based.

Can I disagree with the above?
- You really don't need to use every A-level to facilitate your PS. You are far better off to talk about wider reading than time management from a media project.

(Current PhD in psych)
Reply 3
Thank You, I appreciate both your feedback.
I have done further research and found that I am able to do a MA in psych/soc (Sociology being one of my a-levels). I have also decided to apply to Cardiff just for psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest