The Student Room Group

What did you think of the budget?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kutie Karen

Load of crap as per usual.

Let's just throw money at all our problems and hope they go away.
As the conclusions of The Institute of Fiscal Studies and Resolution Foundation have made clear, The Conservative government have created a country that has a bloated government, is overtaxed and impoverished.

Resolution Foundation: household tax bills to rise by £3000 by 2027. Why are Conservative voters so keen to hand over the fruits of their labour to the government?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
*****y as per, could have been much worse considering the government is completely broke though and the country now looks suspiciously like Russia just after the fall of the USSR with empty supermarket shelves etc.
Original post by Napp
the country now looks suspiciously like Russia just after the fall of the USSR with empty supermarket shelves etc.

Don't you live in New Zealand?:tongue:

Supermarkets are fully stocked where I am
Reply 5
Original post by Starship Trooper
Don't you live in New Zealand?:tongue:

Supermarkets are fully stocked where I am

Indeed i do, i get regular updates from family and friends (nevermind the news) tough :lol:
Lucky for some, theres some amusing pictures of emptied tescoes shelves and fake cardboard print outs doing the rounds though thatre causing laughs in the halls of power here :lol:
Original post by Napp
Indeed i do, i get regular updates from family and friends (nevermind the news) tough :lol:

Lucky for some, theres some amusing pictures of emptied tescoes shelves and fake cardboard print outs doing the rounds though thatre causing laughs in the halls of power here :lol:

Fair enough, I honestly haven't seen any evidence of it though. Just spent a week in Wales visiting various family and didnt see it there either.

Amuses me how many people are glad there were no new taxes... but they were already announced beforehand, and also several were implemented at the previous budget...
Original post by TCA2b
Amuses me how many people are glad there were no new taxes... but they were already announced beforehand, and also several were implemented at the previous budget...

A mediocre government for a mediocre country at the end of the day.
As expected, as a middle to high earner I’m getting shafted the most. Funny that.
A mediocre government for a mediocre country at the end of the day.

Dreadful country.
Original post by imlikeahermit
As expected, as a middle to high earner I’m getting shafted the most. Funny that.

It is the middle to high earners that disproptoinately support this government. While this may not be applicable to you, it is difficult to have much sympathy for anyone who has voted Conservative in the last decade and now find themselves getting hammered with tax.
Reply 12
Original post by imlikeahermit
Dreadful country.

Why be you here then...?
Reply 13
I'm just delighted the NI higher rate threshold has been frozen.

Shame it'll probably get lifted before the freeze is supposed end in 2026 :-(
Original post by Crazed cat lady
It is the middle to high earners that disproptoinately support this government. While this may not be applicable to you, it is difficult to have much sympathy for anyone who has voted Conservative in the last decade and now find themselves getting hammered with tax.

Begs the question "as opposed to what?"

The Tories are crap but most of their candidates are still Marginally better than labour.

That said I wouldn't vote for half of the Tory MPs, including my own, under any circumstances.
Begs the question "as opposed to what?"

The Tories are crap but most of their candidates are still Marginally better than labour.

That said I wouldn't vote for half of the Tory MPs, including my own, under any circumstances.

The "yeah, but Labour" cry is everything that is wrong with British politics.

Come the next general election, the Conservatives will wheel out the Labour are going to tax you more and wreck the economy lines. Conservative voters will buy into that narrative and endorse them at the ballot box. It's insane how passive the British electorate are and how unwilling they are to seek genuine change beyond the status quo.
Original post by Crazed cat lady
The "yeah, but Labour" cry is everything that is wrong with British politics.

Come the next general election, the Conservatives will wheel out the Labour are going to tax you more and wreck the economy lines. Conservative voters will buy into that narrative and endorse them at the ballot box. It's insane how passive the British electorate are and how unwilling they are to seek genuine change beyond the status quo.

I agree with you to a certain extent- hence my reservations. I don't condone voting blue no matter what. You should vote for the better Tory MPs and not vote for the **** ones. Simple.

If we had a viable alternative or a different voting system then things would be different. As it stands now fir better or worse the Tory party is still the only vehicle to affect right wing change on the country even if it has to be literally dragged kicking and screaming to do so like with Brexit
Reply 17

If only we were throwing money at our problems!

Education spending is still below 2010 levels.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
If only we were throwing money at our problems!

Education spending is still below 2010 levels.

So what? What will increasing it accomplish?

The new star wars films had a budget ten times larger than the originals but are far worse in comparison.
Reply 19
So what? What will increasing it accomplish?

The new star wars films had a budget ten times larger than the originals but are far worse in comparison.

🙄🙄🙄

More teachers, higher salaries to attract brighter teachers, more resources, smaller class sizes etc.

Or are you arguing we should give no money to schools at all?

Things cost money. Shouldn't have to explain that to a conservative.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending