The Student Room Group

York vs Exeter

I am applying for Biology at York and Exeter, they both look like excellent universities and I can't decide on a first choice.
What are your experiences of these, do you prefer one over the other?
You dont list your 5 UCAS choices in any sort of preference order - UCAS just puts them in alpha-order and each Uni cannot see where-else you have applied. And you don't have to make a Firm/Insurance choice for months - and you need to have all the Unis decisions before you can do that.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
You dont list your 5 UCAS choices in any sort of preference order - UCAS just puts them in alpha-order and each Uni cannot see where-else you have applied. And you don't have to make a Firm/Insurance choice for months - and you need to have all the Unis decisions before you can do that.

So what is the firm/insurance choice for? Do the universities know if they have been put as the firm or insurance choice?
Original post by Anholm
So what is the firm/insurance choice for? Do the universities know if they have been put as the firm or insurance choice?

thats if you get an offer and decide, and firm is the one you want to go to and insurance is the one that you will go into as a back up if on results day something happens , like firm could want AAA* but insurance wants AAA you meet AAA and then choose your insurance :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lunariumxo
thats if you get an offer and decide, and firm is the one you want to go to and insurance is the one that you will go into as a back up if on results day something happens , like firm could want AAA* but insurance wants AAA you meet AAA and then choose your insurance :smile:

So do I only get two options? It says on my UCAS that I have 5 choices.

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Anholm
So do I only get two options? It says on my UCAS that I have 5 choices.

Thanks for your help!

NOOOO you get 5 options the 2 options is later on don't worry about it your school will explain it
Reply 6
Original post by lunariumxo
NOOOO you get 5 options the 2 options is later on don't worry about it your school will explain it

Haha, I'll take your word for it! I've made my 5 choices so I just need to work from there.
On a side note, did you go to York or Exeter?
Original post by Anholm
Haha, I'll take your word for it! I've made my 5 choices so I just need to work from there.

i applied this year too :smile: im a medicine applicant so i applied to Hull York medical school
Original post by Anholm

When you have all your offers then around May you decide your firm and insurance - see the link above. By then you might get the opportunity to visit them or talk online to current students.

A lot of my students go to Exeter and I've visited a few times - the campus is lovely ad students seem happy there.

This is taken inside one of the student buildings:

P1000431.JPG
Reply 10

Thanks for the link!
Reply 11
Original post by Muttley79
When you have all your offers then around May you decide your firm and insurance - see the link above. By then you might get the opportunity to visit them or talk online to current students.

A lot of my students go to Exeter and I've visited a few times - the campus is lovely ad students seem happy there.

This is taken inside one of the student buildings:

P1000431.JPG

Yes, it looks like a great place to go. It is also much closer to me than York since I live in Cornwall.
Original post by Anholm
Yes, it looks like a great place to go. It is also much closer to me than York since I live in Cornwall.

Ah right! Yes, York would be quite a trek ...
Original post by Anholm

Very good campus Exeter.
Original post by Anholm
I am applying for Biology at York and Exeter, they both look like excellent universities and I can't decide on a first choice.
What are your experiences of these, do you prefer one over the other?

Hi @Anholm,
It's great to hear that you're considering York.

If you have any questions about the University or York in general feel free to ask us.

Hope to see you on campus soon,
Bea
Reply 15
Original post by University of York
Hi @Anholm,
It's great to hear that you're considering York.

If you have any questions about the University or York in general feel free to ask us.

Hope to see you on campus soon,
Bea

Hello,
I really like the course offered by York, it would allow me to take both neuroscience and microbiology as modules, two things that do interest me.
I'm not sure if you can help but I have a couple of questions,

My predicted grades for A-Level are BBC although going through first year, I have consistently gotten above that on assessments for all of my subjects so I'd like to think I can get three A's which is what the biology course requires. Would my low predicted grade affect my chances of getting an offer because I can ask my lecturers to review them of it would help?

In the online open day, they mentioned we could take a year abroard to one of several places which included Universidad Autonoma in Madrid. That would be a great opportunity to improve my Spanish. During the year abroard, would I do work that counts towards the degree at York or is it completely separate and run by the Spanish university?
Thank you for your reply!
Original post by Anholm
Hello,
I really like the course offered by York, it would allow me to take both neuroscience and microbiology as modules, two things that do interest me.
I'm not sure if you can help but I have a couple of questions,

My predicted grades for A-Level are BBC although going through first year, I have consistently gotten above that on assessments for all of my subjects so I'd like to think I can get three A's which is what the biology course requires. Would my low predicted grade affect my chances of getting an offer because I can ask my lecturers to review them of it would help?

In the online open day, they mentioned we could take a year abroard to one of several places which included Universidad Autonoma in Madrid. That would be a great opportunity to improve my Spanish. During the year abroard, would I do work that counts towards the degree at York or is it completely separate and run by the Spanish university?
Thank you for your reply!

Hi again,
I've spoken to someone in our admissions team and they have informed me that it is a competitive course so we'd likely be looking for candidates who meet the typical offer but in some cases predicted grades of BBC may be considered as long as the essential subjects (Biology or Human Biology and a second science e.g. Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology or Statistics) are being taken.

However it sounds like it would be worth a discussion with your teachers about your predicted grades anyway.

If you'd like more specific advice feel free to email [email protected]. who'll be able to assist you further.

In terms of the year abroad, it is part of your degree in the UK.

Thanks,
Bea
Reply 17
Original post by University of York
Hi again,
I've spoken to someone in our admissions team and they have informed me that it is a competitive course so we'd likely be looking for candidates who meet the typical offer but in some cases predicted grades of BBC may be considered as long as the essential subjects (Biology or Human Biology and a second science e.g. Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology or Statistics) are being taken.

However it sounds like it would be worth a discussion with your teachers about your predicted grades anyway.

If you'd like more specific advice feel free to email [email protected]. who'll be able to assist you further.

In terms of the year abroad, it is part of your degree in the UK.

Thanks,
Bea

That is good to know.
I have taken three subjects which would allow me into the biology course so that's not an issue but I will ask my tutor on Friday to raise predicted grades to increase my chances.
Thank you for the reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending