The Student Room Group

Tips for UCAT exam

For my UCAT exam should I be reading the whole of the passage they give me first? Or, read the question and try to find the information in the text without reading the paragraph.
You know UCAT this year is done?
definitely dont try and thoroughly read the whole passage as you wont have time to do that for all the texts in verbal reasoning, so yeah its the best idea probably to pick out key words from the question and skim read the areas of the text that mention similar words
Original post by Lewistricicicle
You know UCAT this year is done?

they might be a 2023 applicant getting a headstart
Original post by eternaldevotiion

what, OP if so i would highly recommened not even looking at UCAT yet. Trust me, you will get burnt out. My personal advice would be focus on getting WEX and applying to summer schools etc. Then, about 2 months before the exam slowly starting easing into prep. Personally, i did 1 month hardcore prep and got a very good score.
1) UCAT this year is done... if thats not the case then

2) in NO NOOO circumstances should you do ucat too early and you're progress will literally drown the drain cause you start to burn out ....
i honestly have no idea why but it happens.. you reach a peak and then suddenly it all falls apart ... if you wanna practise just do fast reading practise for verbal reasoning and maybe maths gcse revision for QR if you don't do maths alevel it will refresh the maths...
Original post by eternaldevotiion

It's a waste of time to start UCAT practice now when the exam cycle starts in August. OP is better off doing work experience/volunteering/working/revising for A-levels etc. 2 hours of practice for 1-2 months before the exam should be enough for most people.
Reply 7
read the question and pick out the key words, then try to find them in the text given or other words that indicate to what the question is asking
Original post by nivi27
For my UCAT exam should I be reading the whole of the passage they give me first? Or, read the question and try to find the information in the text without reading the paragraph.

Depends what you find to be quicker as it's a very time pressured exam. For me, I found reading the question and looking it up in the passage quicker but my friend was the opposite. Try both and see what works for you.

If you're sitting the UCAT next summer, DO NOT start preparing now. I know it feels nice to get ahead but you will burn yourself out and end up peaking in ability WAY before your exam date. 6-8 weeks before is more than enough prep, most people do about 4 weeks.
Original post by nivi27

Definitely don’t start now. I had friends who started 3 months early and they didn’t get as high scores, simply because they had peaked too early and had faced burnout.

Personally, I gave myself 5 weeks. But even then, I only started doing Medify’s mock in the last 2 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending