The Student Room Group

3 A-levels in one year

If I don't get straight A's in my A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), I'm planning to take 3 new A-levels in one year since med schools don't really like re-takes. I'm planning to take 3 from Business, Sociology, Psychology, Art. I'm just looking for advice on whether this would be possible and also which subjects would be more feasible to do in one year and get an A or A*in. I'm a 'good' student - I work hard and I'm not necessarily slow. I got A's and A*s in GCSE, except from stats (I got a 6/B). The only subject from the list above that I did a GCSE in is Art and I got an 8. I'm not sure if Art could be done in a year. I'm interested in Psychology and Sociology, however I heard that they are very content heavy and that Sociology is easier. I thought of Business as I heard that it is easier as it has less content and is common sense (no offense). I just want a backup plan and other people's insight. Thanks.
Not taking biology and chemistry would limit your options. If you don’t get 3A’s, just resit and avoid the med schools who don’t accept resits.
Quite a few medical schools do accept resits, and getting As in other subjects won't ameliorate missing grades in required subjects (biology and/or chemistry usually, plus a second science - no medical school except Cambridge requires a third STEM subject). All taking 3 new A-levels in non science subjects would do it allow you to apply to Newcastle and they would still probably view it as resits after a fashion anyway.

You would be better off retaking your existing if that were the case.

Also you made this thread in the wrong forum - queries about medicine applications should go in the medicine forum and you should read through the threads stickied in that forum first as most commonly asked questions including variations on "can I get into medicine with retakes" are addressed in those. I have requested it be moved there now.

might have some further insights?
Original post by artful_lounger
Quite a few medical schools do accept resits, and getting As in other subjects won't ameliorate missing grades in required subjects (biology and/or chemistry usually, plus a second science - no medical school except Cambridge requires a third STEM subject). All taking 3 new A-levels in non science subjects would do it allow you to apply to Newcastle and they would still probably view it as resits after a fashion anyway.

You would be better off retaking your existing if that were the case.

Also you made this thread in the wrong forum - queries about medicine applications should go in the medicine forum and you should read through the threads stickied in that forum first as most commonly asked questions including variations on "can I get into medicine with retakes" are addressed in those. I have requested it be moved there now.

@ecolier might have some further insights?

I second this, some schools accept A*AB and some will lower for an EPQ, which you would be better off doing than three new a-levels. You'd actually shut off your choices by doing those non-science A-levels. Do an EPQ, keep your options open for a retake if possible, take a gap year :smile:
Once you have done A-levels the patter of the program becomes easier, I did Art, History, Theatre Studies and Law then Philosophy Psychology Communication Studies followed by Chemistry Biology Business Studies and Sociology. Don;t put pressure on yourself for A results. I went back after all the A-levels to doing my initial love of Art, Learning it seemed, even at A-level standard was my hobby. I'd do more if there were nearby places to study something that was of actual interest to me.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Not taking biology and chemistry would limit your options. If you don’t get 3A’s, just resit and avoid the med schools who don’t accept resits.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by CatInTheCorner
I second this, some schools accept A*AB and some will lower for an EPQ, which you would be better off doing than three new a-levels. You'd actually shut off your choices by doing those non-science A-levels. Do an EPQ, keep your options open for a retake if possible, take a gap year :smile:

Original post by lynseyDrew
Once you have done A-levels the patter of the program becomes easier, I did Art, History, Theatre Studies and Law then Philosophy Psychology Communication Studies followed by Chemistry Biology Business Studies and Sociology. Don;t put pressure on yourself for A results. I went back after all the A-levels to doing my initial love of Art, Learning it seemed, even at A-level standard was my hobby. I'd do more if there were nearby places to study something that was of actual interest to me.

Reply 8
Why would you do 3 different A-levels - is that to get you into med school, or to change path altogether? If you don’t get the required grade in Chem & bio, I don’t think med schools, which are extremely competitive, will allow you in with As in some other subject. Personally I think it will be almost impossible to do 3 A-Levels in one year and get top grades. It is difficult enough to do them in 2 years. Even if you somehow manage to cover the content in 1 year, you will not have enough time to build the skills and to do all the past questions to get top grades.
Original post by Forgotten one
If I don't get straight A's in my A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), I'm planning to take 3 new A-levels in one year since med schools don't really like re-takes. I'm planning to take 3 from Business, Sociology, Psychology, Art. I'm just looking for advice on whether this would be possible and also which subjects would be more feasible to do in one year and get an A or A*in. I'm a 'good' student - I work hard and I'm not necessarily slow. I got A's and A*s in GCSE, except from stats (I got a 6/B). The only subject from the list above that I did a GCSE in is Art and I got an 8. I'm not sure if Art could be done in a year. I'm interested in Psychology and Sociology, however I heard that they are very content heavy and that Sociology is easier. I thought of Business as I heard that it is easier as it has less content and is common sense (no offense). I just want a backup plan and other people's insight. Thanks.

you won't get into med school with Business, Sociology, Psychology, Art. you need chem/bio
Original post by lalexm
Why would you do 3 different A-levels - is that to get you into med school, or to change path altogether? If you don’t get the required grade in Chem & bio, I don’t think med schools, which are extremely competitive, will allow you in with As in some other subject. Personally I think it will be almost impossible to do 3 A-Levels in one year and get top grades. It is difficult enough to do them in 2 years. Even if you somehow manage to cover the content in 1 year, you will not have enough time to build the skills and to do all the past questions to get top grades.

Yeah I'm aware that it is extremely difficult to get in. I realised how my plan would be so much harder than resitting but I just wanted to get other people's opinions. I thought of the foundation courses that allows students who took non-science subjects to take medicine with an extra year. I've read other's advice, did some research on other ways to get in, asked a student who got into med school with a BCD at A-level. I'm still aiming for top grades at A-level but if I don't get in I now have got a rough plan for what to do, thanks to everyone. Thank you for your reply.
Original post by charfreemannn
you won't get into med school with Business, Sociology, Psychology, Art. you need chem/bio

Yes, med schools require chemistry, some bio but I thought of foundation course entry for non-science students who got high grades in case things went sideways. Thanks for your reply.
Yeah I'm aware that it is extremely difficult to get in. I realised how my plan would be so much harder than resitting but I just wanted to get other people's opinions. I thought of the foundation courses that allows students who took non-science subjects to take medicine with an extra year. I've read other's advice, did some research on other ways to get in, asked a student who got into med school with a BCD at A-level. I'm still aiming for top grades at A-level but if I don't get in I now have got a rough plan for what to do, thanks to everyone. Thank you for your reply.

Yes but you will have already taken the science subjects and just gotten weaker grades in them which would've made you ineligible for those "subject changer" medicine with gateway year courses. The medicine with foundation year courses for those with lower grades are normally for people meeting widening participation criteria only so you may not be eligible.

Really taking a gap year and retaking would be your best bet, as you've covered the material so it's not all brand new, there are med schools you could apply to even with the retakes (even without mitigating circumstances), and it wouldn't take any longer (and may in fact be quicker!) than the alternative routes if that is a concern :smile:
Yes, med schools require chemistry, some bio but I thought of foundation course entry for non-science students who got high grades in case things went sideways. Thanks for your reply.

you wouldn't be eligible since you already take bio and chem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending