The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying for Politics, Philosophy and Economics?

So I want to apply to Oxford for PPE but I do not do maths a level so I'm not sure. I am doing English literature, History and economics and am predicted A*A*A in that order. I also do core maths (a level 3 qualification which is the equivalent of doing AS level maths) and an EPQ. I am hoping to get A or higher in both. Do I stand a chance in applying for PPE or should I just apply for something else? I know I have a shot at other unis but I'm unsure about oxford.
Original post by AishaAisha1234
So I want to apply to Oxford for PPE but I do not do maths a level so I'm not sure. I am doing English literature, History and economics and am predicted A*A*A in that order. I also do core maths (a level 3 qualification which is the equivalent of doing AS level maths) and an EPQ. I am hoping to get A or higher in both. Do I stand a chance in applying for PPE or should I just apply for something else? I know I have a shot at other unis but I'm unsure about oxford.

If you are not confident about PPE, there are related courses such as History & Politics, Economics & Management or History & Economics.

It is up to you, but personally, I’d suggest making an application and doing some maths prep by yourself. Good luck.

Oxford PPE:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/philosophy-politics-and-economics
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by MagicFish
I wouldn't.
A* at Maths A level and barely 4 weeks in already thinking of dropping out of PPE because the maths is impossible.

Hang in there. Good luck
I wouldn't.
A* at Maths A level and barely 4 weeks in already thinking of dropping out of PPE because the maths is impossible.

Oh, wow. I always thought about what it would have been like doing PPE at Oxford. I hated A level maths couldn't imagine what it's like. Currently, studying CS at a different uni. I wonder, tho, what kind of maths are you dealing with here?
Original post by Wired_1800
If you are not confident about PPE, there are related courses such as History & Politics, Economics & Management or History & Economics.

It is up to you, but personally, I’d suggest making an application and doing some maths prep by yourself. Good luck.

Oxford PPE:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/philosophy-politics-and-economics

Thanks for the advice! I am actually thinking history and economics would be more enjoyable for me personally. Do you think I would still struggle to get in due to not having maths? Thanks!
I wouldn't.

Sorry to hear that! Do you think history and economics would be just as hard? I am considering doing that instaed
Original post by AishaAisha1234
Thanks for the advice! I am actually thinking history and economics would be more enjoyable for me personally. Do you think I would still struggle to get in due to not having maths? Thanks!

I think Economics generally needs a decent appreciation of Maths. I am not an Economist but commenting based on feedback I have received from economists. You may get in, but there is probably no pleasure in getting accepted then hating your course because you struggle with the Econ subjects.

For Oxford, Maths is recommend for the History and Economics course:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/history-and-economics

It will be up to you, but I’d suggest going for straight History, History and Politics or History (Ancient and Modern).

If you are still keen on History and Economics, I would strongly recommended privately studying for Maths to get up to speed. It will not be a good feeling to be behind or struggle with your subjects because you did not study Maths.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending