The Student Room Group

URGENT HELP NEEDED what to take for hl and sl

i need to choose what subjects i’ll be taking for hl+sl and i am having a huge dilemma and don’t know what to do!

i want to study medicine at kings college or ucl… so what out of these options would be better to take?

option 1:
english A HL
bio hl
chem hl
psychology sl
AA maths sl
french ab inito

option 2:
english A hl
bio hl
chem hl
psychology hl
AA maths sl
french ab inito

i’m doing gcses now and my maths predicted/mock grade is a 7, bio 7, chem 7 and english lit/lang 9.

also for kings college medicine, is maths AI sl or AA sl better?

please help :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hiii! I also want to do medicine, and I'm doing Maths AI HL (it was recommended to me by college for medicine), Bio HL and Chem HL, English Lit SL, Geography SL and Spanish SL. Maybe taking a psychology HL might be better for medicine? Xx
Honestly beyond Bio and Chem HL the unis are unlikely to care. I am applying for medicine at the moment and the UCAT/BMAT are far more important. Take whichever combination you feel you can score highest in.

Personally, I took:
HL
Chem
Bio
English Lit

SL
Old Maths SL in a year
French B
Economics

I’m applying during my gap year because despite a UCAS predicted of 42, my entrance exam scores were not high enough to get me a place. A lot of the unis now only look for minimum IB requirements and then focus on the entrance exams so it’s far more important to excel in those.

Hope this helps and lmk if you have any other questions
Reply 3
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
Honestly beyond Bio and Chem HL the unis are unlikely to care. I am applying for medicine at the moment and the UCAT/BMAT are far more important. Take whichever combination you feel you can score highest in.

Personally, I took:
HL
Chem
Bio
English Lit

SL
Old Maths SL in a year
French B
Economics

I’m applying during my gap year because despite a UCAS predicted of 42, my entrance exam scores were not high enough to get me a place. A lot of the unis now only look for minimum IB requirements and then focus on the entrance exams so it’s far more important to excel in those.

Hope this helps and lmk if you have any other questions

thank you so much, this has really helped! :smile: :smile:
Original post by cyberclouds
thank you so much, this has really helped! :smile: :smile:

No worries! Good luck with everything!! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending