The Student Room Group

Ancient History, Classics, and Archaeology Applicants 2022

Are you applying to study Ancient History, Classics or Archaeology at University in 2022?
Then this is the place for you!

Copy and paste, and fill the following in below....

Undergraduate
Course(s):
GCSE grades:
Entry requirements:
Predictions:
Choices:
Other:

Postgraduate
Course(s):
Previous course:
Choices:
Predicted/received degree mark:
Other:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi I've moved your thread to the classics forum :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by whytes
i've applied for classics @ cambridge (christ's), glasgow, st andrews, durham, and manchester

i applied a couple weeks ago and am now playing the waiting game :smile:

my grades are off because im scottish
i got 8 A1s (=A*) at national 5 (gcse equivalent)
i got 3 A1s and 2 A2s at higher (3A* 2A - around AS level) [maths, english, latin - physics, chemistry]
and im predicted 3As at advanced higher (between a-levels and yr1 uni) (in scotland u dont predict bands) [latin, chemistry, history]

Have you started preparing for the interview yet?
Original post by amel04
Have you started preparing for the interview yet?

not particularly, i have started learning the AS level vocab (we don’t learn vocab in scotland) but no specific interview prep
i do plan to continue reading and researching though
where are u applying?
Course(s): Classics
GCSE grades: I didn't do GCSE and I'm an international student. But I do have SAT and SAT II in Maths and Spanish (Reading)
Entry requirements: ABB-AAA
Predictions: 4A*s in Latin, History, Philosophy & Religion, and Maths
Choices: Oxford (Classics IB), UCL (Classics with Study Abroad), Durham, Edinburgh, KCL
Other: I'm applying to about ten other universities in the USA so I feel quite busy. But I kind of enjoy it : )
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Course(s): Classics with English
GCSE grades: in Scotland we don’t do GCSEs, but in my National 5s (pretty much the equivalent) I got seven A1s and one A2, and at Higher five A1s.
Predictions: not actually sure! Hoping it’s three As or two As and a B as I haven’t actually been told lol
Choices: Oxford (Classics and English), Durham (Liberal Arts), St Andrews (twice- pure Classics and Classics and English), and Aberdeen (English with Creative Writing- received an unconditional offer yesterday !!!)
Reply 7
Original post by edie__r
Course(s): Classics with English
GCSE grades: in Scotland we don’t do GCSEs, but in my National 5s (pretty much the equivalent) I got seven A1s and one A2, and at Higher five A1s.
Predictions: not actually sure! Hoping it’s three As or two As and a B as I haven’t actually been told lol
Choices: Oxford (Classics and English), Durham (Liberal Arts), St Andrews (twice- pure Classics and Classics and English), and Aberdeen (English with Creative Writing- received an unconditional offer yesterday !!!)

Nice, congratulations on the offer! I'm also applying to Oxford for straight classics (Worcester), which college are you applying to?
Reply 8
Hey guys!
Course(s): Classics/classical studies
GCSE grades: (I live in Wales so we don’t have numbers as grades) 9 A*s, 5 As,1 B
Entry requirements: AAA-AAB
Predictions: 4A*s in Eng lit, Psychology, Art and Spanish
Choices: Oxford (classics II), Exeter (classical studies), Manchester (classics) and Bristol (classical studies)
I’m also applying to Worcester for Oxford! Seems to be a really popular choice for college this year.

Good luck with your applications everyone!
Reply 9
Original post by amel04
Nice, congratulations on the offer! I'm also applying to Oxford for straight classics (Worcester), which college are you applying to?

Thank you! I’m applying to Exeter College- it’s difficult for me to visit so I kind of ended up picking at random haha, but I almost went for Worcester too!
Course(s): Classics/Philosophy/Philosophy and English
GCSE grades: I'm a homeschooled international student from the US, but I have 5s on 11 AP exams (World History, Statistics, US History, Calc BC, English Lang, Latin, Psych, Macroeconomics, English Lit, Art History, US Government), a 4 on one (Chemistry), and I'm taking 6 more this year (Music Theory, Biology, Microeconomics, European History, Chinese, and Environmental Science).
Predictions: hoping I get 5s on this year's exams but I've already met the entry requirements!
Choices: Oxford (Classics IA), Edinburgh and Durham and St Andrews (Philosophy and Engish literature), and UCL (Philosophy)
Other: I'm applying to Balliol for Classics at Oxford. I'm also applying to a bunch of American schools, so I sympathize with others starting to feel the crunch here! I've been taking philosophy classes at an American university for the past three years and I'm hoping to go on to graduate school in philosophy.
Course(s): Classics
GCSE grades: 9999998887
Entry requirements: A*AA - ABB
Predictions: A*A*A*
Choices: Cambridge/ Durham / UCL / Exeter / Birmingham (offer ABB)
:smile:
Other:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by whytes
i've applied for classics @ cambridge (christ's), glasgow, st andrews, durham, and manchester

i got 3 A1s and 2 A2s at higher (3A* 2A - around AS level) [maths, english, latin - physics, chemistry]
and im predicted 3As at advanced higher (between a-levels and yr1 uni) (in scotland u dont predict bands) [latin, chemistry, history]

just got an unconditional for glasgow :biggrin:
Original post by whytes

Having applied to Classics at Cambridge and had a really bad interview experience with Christ's, my suggestion is that you will certainly give your best but don't let it define your ability and confidence. i don't think they know what they are doing as how it has always been advertised and they are maybe outstanding in their academic fields but in terms of judging the quality of a candidate, I very much reserve my view from my own experience. Ironically, where I am studying now, my personal tutor is from Cambridge who is surprised that I have not received an offer from Christ's and Cambridge. By all means, good luck and wherever you end up, Classics study at university is an amazing experience. By the way, I have got all 8s in my GCSE and predicted four A*s for my A level subjects in my UCAS application.
Reply 14
Original post by Ename123
Having applied to Classics at Cambridge and had a really bad interview experience with Christ's, my suggestion is that you will certainly give your best but don't let it define your ability and confidence. i don't think they know what they are doing as how it has always been advertised and they are maybe outstanding in their academic fields but in terms of judging the quality of a candidate, I very much reserve my view from my own experience. Ironically, where I am studying now, my personal tutor is from Cambridge who is surprised that I have not received an offer from Christ's and Cambridge. By all means, good luck and wherever you end up, Classics study at university is an amazing experience. By the way, I have got all 8s in my GCSE and predicted four A*s for my A level subjects in my UCAS application.

What do you mean by 'bad' experience, if it's alright to ask?
Course(s): Classics and French
GCSE grades: 5 A** (9), 5 A* (8), 3 A (7)
Entry requirements: AAA-AAB ?
Predictions: A*A*A + A (EPQ)
Choices: Oxford (course II), KCL, Edinburgh, Exeter, Newcastle

I got my first offer from Exeter last week!! Anyone preparing for the CLAT or MLAT?
Original post by effystonem123
Course(s): Classics and French
GCSE grades: 5 A** (9), 5 A* (8), 3 A (7)
Entry requirements: AAA-AAB ?
Predictions: A*A*A + A (EPQ)
Choices: Oxford (course II), KCL, Edinburgh, Exeter, Newcastle

I got my first offer from Exeter last week!! Anyone preparing for the CLAT or MLAT?

hii! congrats on the offer!! currently prepping for the clat and I’m actually kind of enjoying it haha, but honestly it could go any way in the exam. I’m also sitting the elat and i definitely find that one much harder- what’s the mlat like?
Original post by edie__r
hii! congrats on the offer!! currently prepping for the clat and I’m actually kind of enjoying it haha, but honestly it could go any way in the exam. I’m also sitting the elat and i definitely find that one much harder- what’s the mlat like?

I was quite confident with the CLAT before, but now I feel like it’s quite hard as there’s so much stress from school.

The MLAT im doing is for french, and you just have to translate sentences and fix grammar rules. I find it so much easier than the CLAT
Good luck to everyone else taking the CAT/CLAT tomorrow! I'm sure we'll do great :smile:
Original post by Sandtrooper
Are you applying to study Ancient History, Classics or Archaeology at University in 2022?
Then this is the place for you!

Copy and paste, and fill the following in below....

Undergraduate
Course(s):
GCSE grades:
Entry requirements:
Predictions:
Choices:
Other:

Postgraduate
Course(s):
Previous course:
Choices:
Predicted/received degree mark: