The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
**** each and every single one of those 16,000 who signed it.

The Beeb being the Beeb are 1) Going to apologise, and 2) Remove the article.
I want to say good on the BBC for not apologising or removing it but I am guessing that will eventually come...
I enjoyed reading the original article. :dontknow:
Reply 4
Original post by TCA2b
I want to say good on the BBC for not apologising or removing it but I am guessing that will eventually come...

Of course it will, you just watch!
Transwomen are extremely vulnerable, but so are some cis-women. However, if a problem is real, should it not be mentioned because it might harm transwomen? It is a difficult call because of the horrific quality of life that some transwomen have.
Reply 6
Dave Chapelle and now the BBC? If these trans activists are looking for compassion they certainly aren't doing a great job at gathering it
Society these days really does feel like a contest to show you are more oppressed than everyone else lol.
Reply 8
Original post by Djtoodles
Society these days really does feel like a contest to show you are more oppressed than everyone else lol.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?query=%22oppression+olympics%22&tracksoft=&crr=&sortby=date+asc
Reply 9
It was a good article, naturally the professional protestors and the lobbyists will get upset, they get upset at anything that isnt praising this strata of society as being anything less than gods among men.
Nothing really to it though, let them scream about non-existent problems and ignore them.
A problem in democratic countries today, especially English speaking ones, is that activists ask people ONLY to care about minorities. If ~0.01% of the population think they get offended, they want the vast majority to sacrifice their fundamental rights as a citizen in this country. Yes, a decent democracy should defend the minorities from being bullied; but it doesn't mean they should have privileges over the majority.

I can imagine that if the history textbooks in 2022 and later do not describe transgenders as heroes in WWI and WWII, these activists will protest against it.
Original post by SchneiderM
A problem in democratic countries today, especially English speaking ones, is that activists ask people ONLY to care about minorities. If ~0.01% of the population think they get offended, they want the vast majority to sacrifice their fundamental rights as a citizen in this country. Yes, a decent democracy should defend the minorities from being bullied; but it doesn't mean they should have privileges over the majority.

I can imagine that if the history textbooks in 2022 and later do not describe transgenders as heroes in WWI and WWII, these activists will protest against it.
What "fundamental rights" have been sacrificed by the majority of the population in this news story?
(edited 2 years ago)
As for the story itself, looks like the BBC has defended their editorial freedom and those opposed to the main point of the article have got their soundbite.

This really feels as though it's a battle that doesn't need to be fought. On the whole, I've seen the BBC be generally in support of diverse gender identities and so I personally struggle to see how this is the best use of campaigning time.
Original post by 04MR17
What "fundamental rights" have been sacrificed by the majority of the population in this news story?

Not specifically for this particular story.
Not specifically for this particular story.
I thought not. Best staying on topic of the story in the News forum :wink:
Original post by 04MR17
I thought not. Best staying on topic of the story in the News forum :wink:

This story is a signal tool. A tiny minority wanting to censor a report or article from a public media which serves most of the people in this country, this issue itself is an attempt to offend the majority’s right. Fortunately BBC didn’t allow it to happen.
This story is a signal tool. A tiny minority wanting to censor a report or article from a public media which serves most of the people in this country, this issue itself is an attempt to offend the majority’s right. Fortunately BBC didn’t allow it to happen.

You mean they accused it of being a poorly researched and misleading article, and argued it should be taken down on that basis? New outlets get complaints like that literally all the time, from pretty much anyone. And they quite routinely remove or amend articles which turn out to have been based on bad reporting or editing. It would be journalistic malpractice not to.
Original post by anarchism101
You mean they accused it of being a poorly researched and misleading article, and argued it should be taken down on that basis? New outlets get complaints like that literally all the time, from pretty much anyone. And they quite routinely remove or amend articles which turn out to have been based on bad reporting or editing. It would be journalistic malpractice not to.

I’m afraid it’s not as simple as you think. The complaint was made by an organisation called Trans Activism. And apparently the complaint was made because they thought the article was an offence to trans and lesbians. As a topic raising debate and contradictory arguments, the trans activists just wanted to censor it; they wanted to see the articles holding a promoting attitude toward trans. When a group of minority holding a certain morality believe that the majority should only care about THEIR opinions, this minority should be woke mobs.

P.S. Does your username indicate anything about your ideology?
Original post by anarchism101

Do you really think the same people would have accused the article of being "poorly researched and misleading" if it expressed a positive view of trans people or portrayed them as victims? Would they really care about the article's editorial standards in that case? I doubt you'd ever see them level the same complaint against Pink News, though nobody could seriously describe that as fair and impartial reporting.

Let's not kid ourselves. It's a complaint from trans people and those who elicit praise by being their "allies" against the fact that the BBC reported on a genuine problem being caused by them, countering the narrative that they are all poor innocent victims who can do no wrong. It's nothing more than a "how dare you say anything bad about us and our kind?!"
(edited 2 years ago)
I’m afraid it’s not as simple as you think. The complaint was made by an organisation called Trans Activism. And apparently the complaint was made because they thought the article was an offence to trans and lesbians. As a topic raising debate and contradictory arguments, the trans activists just wanted to censor it; they wanted to see the articles holding a promoting attitude toward trans. When a group of minority holding a certain morality believe that the majority should only care about THEIR opinions, this minority should be woke mobs.

P.S. Does your username indicate anything about your ideology?
Out of the post you're quoting, I'm struggling to see exactly what it is you're disagreeing with. :hmmmm2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending