The Student Room Group

How can I tell my parents I want to lose weight and be more healthy?

So, I am currently 14, 55kg, and 162cm. According to the NHS child BMI calculator, I am not overweight, but I feel very unhealthy. I'm not getting bullied or pressured by my parents to lose weight, it's simply because if I keep eating unhealthy and not exercising I will become overweight. I'd also like to become a doctor so getting more healthy will benefit me in the future. I'm pretty shy, so I'm not sure how to tell them about this. My mum is pretty sensitive about her own weight, so I don't want to offend her either. Both my parents have been trying to lose weight so maybe joining them will help encourage them. I love healthy food and actually think exercise is fun but I'm too scared to speak up to my parents about these things. I'd also like to walk to school instead of taking the bus, but my parents pay £30 a month for my bus pass and they just bought a new one so I'm going to wait until it expires to ask them. Idk to tell them, please help :-(

(Sorry if this is unreadable, I just really needed to rant and get some advice.)
Well I would say maybe eat some healthy meals (I use slimming world recipes) . As for the bus pass... wait for this month to end then ask your parents to stop paying and just tell them, I'm gonna start walk/cycling to get to wherever
just be straight up with them and they should be able to talk with you about healthier meals and having time for exercise
Reply 3
You can become healthier without actively aiming to lose weight. Offer to cook some different meals with your parents, go for walks with them. And do you really not want a bus pass during winter, when it's dark nights and you could be arriving cold and wet at either end due to the weather?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #147
Well I would say maybe eat some healthy meals (I use slimming world recipes) . As for the bus pass... wait for this month to end then ask your parents to stop paying and just tell them, I'm gonna start walk/cycling to get to wherever

Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #147
just be straight up with them and they should be able to talk with you about healthier meals and having time for exercise

Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
You can become healthier without actively aiming to lose weight. Offer to cook some different meals with your parents, go for walks with them. And do you really not want a bus pass during winter, when it's dark nights and you could be arriving cold and wet at either end due to the weather?

Thanks for the advice! And about the bus pass, you are right. I actually did not think of that lol. Since I live in Scotland the winters are very harsh and it completely slipped my mind when I was writing my original post. Again, thanks!
Firstly I just want to say at 14, I think you have a great mindset and attitude and that is something to be commended. You are obviously very motivated to do this. I would just be completely honest with your parents, they'll probably be proud of you too for looking after yourself and bonus, they'll save money on the bus pass! Try and cook some recipes with your parents or find some that you want to cook and share it with them. Do some home workout videos, there are loads and loads on youtube and there is a workout platform called FitOn which is good too. Start small and aim big is what I can say :smile:
yjust have to be honest
Original post by bunnyhoney
So, I am currently 14, 55kg, and 162cm. According to the NHS child BMI calculator, I am not overweight, but I feel very unhealthy. I'm not getting bullied or pressured by my parents to lose weight, it's simply because if I keep eating unhealthy and not exercising I will become overweight. I'd also like to become a doctor so getting more healthy will benefit me in the future. I'm pretty shy, so I'm not sure how to tell them about this. My mum is pretty sensitive about her own weight, so I don't want to offend her either. Both my parents have been trying to lose weight so maybe joining them will help encourage them. I love healthy food and actually think exercise is fun but I'm too scared to speak up to my parents about these things. I'd also like to walk to school instead of taking the bus, but my parents pay £30 a month for my bus pass and they just bought a new one so I'm going to wait until it expires to ask them. Idk to tell them, please help :-(

(Sorry if this is unreadable, I just really needed to rant and get some advice.)

Okay. What is your diet? If it’s poor/full of unhealthy food you could consider what my friend did. She went vegetarian to give her a reason to cook for seperately to what her family ate

What exercise do you currently do and what do you enjoy. You could try doing it twice a week then building it up to 4/5. Going on a run after school or just a long walk after school won’t impact anything.

You really don’t need to lose weight. Instead of thinking that just aim to eat healthy exercise and be fit.

Quick Reply

Latest