The Student Room Group

help me choose a university

Hi guys am Arjun i'm planning to apply for masters in filmmaking or film production course. I'm having difficulty in choosing the university so guys i will list some universities that i have in my mind so will u guys help me in fixing one
1. Met film school
2. london film academy
3.edinburgh napier university
4. university of west scotland
5. bournemouth university
6. university of greenwich
7. university of salford
8. anglia ruskin university
9. manchester metropolitan university

so guys will u help in choosing one in above mentioned ones as which i m interested in for directing cinematography or together film production i would like to know evreybody's opinion it would mean a lot to me.
Reply 1
look at Leeds art and arts university bounrmath. Both have practical filmmaking courses that are a little smaller. Ulster Uni also has one called cinematic arts thats in Derry NI. its up to you, if you like the course visit the city and see if you like it
You haven’t mentioned many CILECT courses. Why not? Why have you not looked at those with awards - Hertfordshire’s MA won a Student Academy Award in 2019 and is CILECT.
Reply 3
Original post by filmworker
You haven’t mentioned many CILECT courses. Why not? Why have you not looked at those with awards - Hertfordshire’s MA won a Student Academy Award in 2019 and is CILECT.

Hi, i looked at met film school and bournemouth university are cilect members then screen academy scotland collaborated with edinburgh napier university is also cilect member. These universities connected with cilect is what u are speaking right?. actually my knowledge to these are limited is there any more information to it, if any could u specify.
Original post by Arjun.Anil
Hi guys am Arjun i'm planning to apply for masters in filmmaking or film production course. I'm having difficulty in choosing the university so guys i will list some universities that i have in my mind so will u guys help me in fixing one
1. Met film school
2. london film academy
7. university of salford

so guys will u help in choosing one in above mentioned ones as which i m interested in for directing cinematography or together film production i would like to know evreybody's opinion it would mean a lot to me.

Hi @Arjun.Anil,
We have a pretty cool film production course here at the University of Salford and it is based at our MediaCity campus which means you are right next door to the BBC and ITV, etc. All of our equipment is industry standard and it is a very practical course so you get to grips with all the equipment very quickly.

Unfortunately I do Physiotherapy here at Salford so can not give you a lot of information about the course but if you click here you can talk to a current student who is doing the same course as you are interested in, etc.

I would also recommend coming to look round on our next open day to see if it is the university for you because everyone is different!

I hope this helps.

Holly - Student Ambassador :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by University of Salford Student Rep
Hi @Arjun.Anil,
We have a pretty cool film production course here at the University of Salford and it is based at our MediaCity campus which means you are right next door to the BBC and ITV, etc. All of our equipment is industry standard and it is a very practical course so you get to grips with all the equipment very quickly.

Unfortunately I do Physiotherapy here at Salford so can not give you a lot of information about the course but if you click here you can talk to a current student who is doing the same course as you are interested in, etc.

I would also recommend coming to look round on our next open day to see if it is the university for you because everyone is different!

I hope this helps.

Holly - Student Ambassador :smile:

Thank u holly
1. Met film school
2. london film academy
7. university of salford

Hello Arjun
We're really pleased you're considering ARU's Film and Television Production Masters degree - you can visit our course page to see more information.
Our Cambridge campus is home to some really fantastic facilities including:

Film studio with overhead lighting, tracks, dollies & green screen

Multi-camera TV studio (although this may be something you won't use if you're more interested in the film side of things)

Full range of location kit from 4k digital cameras, professional lighting and Steadicam (A really good one for budding cinematographers)

Sound-recording equipment for location filming

Editing suites with Da Vinci Resolve and full Adobe Creative Cloud

Aaton Cameras and Steenbeck editors for 16mm film production

Motion capture equipment

and more!!

Cambridge is a beautiful city (you can see a list of our favourite places in Cambridge) but it's also a fantastic place to study film. Our lecturers are well connected with industry professionals from both Cambridge and London (as it's only a short 50min commute into Kings Cross from Cambridge). Cambridge is also home of the Cambridge Film Festival and we have student-led film societies for events throughout the year. We also take our students on an annual trip to Sheffield International Documentary Film Festival!

You can start in January or September (and you can study full or part-time) so you can make the Masters work around you. If you're not going to start until September, I can recommend you join us at our next Virtual Open Evening to have more of a chat and get a feel for ARU's wonderful postgrad community.

If you'd like to ask someone more questions specific about the course, I recommend you chat with Catherine Elliott who is the course leader. She will be more than happy to answer any queries you may have and tell you in more depth about the course.

Best wishes and we hope to hear from you soon
Megan
#TeamARU
Hi, i looked at met film school and bournemouth university are cilect members then screen academy scotland collaborated with edinburgh napier university is also cilect member. These universities connected with cilect is what u are speaking right?. actually my knowledge to these are limited is there any more information to it, if any could u specify.

CILECT is the grouping of the best film schools around the world. So these are the institutions you should be looking at.
Every university is going to boast about its facilities but they will all be variations of each other - digital cameras, editing suites, TV studios blah blah blah. What should be important is the quality of teaching, the work of previous students and the industry connections and guest speakers - and not just them claiming to have grads who went and worked somewhere but a long lasting partnership with a studio, production company (of note, not just a local shop who you’ve never heard of) or post house. Who are their regular guest speakers - people who have been back multiple times - because places boast of guest speakers who came once and never again and you will never meet them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending