The Student Room Group

Oxbridge personal statements

Hi there! I have heard that Oxbridge do not consider personal statements in an application as much as other aspects of the application. I heard that in terms of importance, there is a split of 30% A-Level performance, 30% Interview performance, 30% Entrance test performance, and 10% importance for personal statement + teacher references.
Is this true or false?
(I am considering applying for history, languages, or both.)
Thank you!
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello, I have just applied for Modern Languages at Oxford, and my friends have applied for various other courses at Oxbridge (medicine, econ, law, PPE, HSPS etc) and I have learnt that each department is different. I know that for languages the only part of your application that is double-weighted in the scoring process is the interview, and this is often based on your personal statement, so in this case, it is important.
For econ, they don't really care, the admissions test (TSA) is much more important. For medicine, they stress GCSEs, but they consider all parts of your application.
They do however care about your personal statement and will read it regardless of course. Do not underestimate its importance in your application, but for more specifics for languages see the oxford feedback from last year

https://www.some.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Modern-Languages-2020.pdf

And the history feedback fo 2019

https://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/History_0.pdf

A levels seem to be more of a tick in the box, and interview and admissions test (and sometimes GCSEs) will come before this. As long as you have the grades required, and your reference backs up your grades and performance, then whether you have three As or five A*s shouldn't worry you.
Good luck!
Original post by Joseph0254
Hi there! I have heard that Oxbridge do not consider personal statements in an application as much as other aspects of the application. I heard that in terms of importance, there is a split of 30% A-Level performance, 30% Interview performance, 30% Entrance test performance, and 10% importance for personal statement + teacher references.
Is this true or false?
(I am considering applying for history, languages, or both.)
Thank you!

i dont think this is necessarily true, personal statement is very important as it gives a basis for your interview questions
Original post by ttennitt
Hello, I have just applied for Modern Languages at Oxford, and my friends have applied for various other courses at Oxbridge (medicine, econ, law, PPE, HSPS etc) and I have learnt that each department is different. I know that for languages the only part of your application that is double-weighted in the scoring process is the interview, and this is often based on your personal statement, so in this case, it is important.
For econ, they don't really care, the admissions test (TSA) is much more important. For medicine, they stress GCSEs, but they consider all parts of your application.
They do however care about your personal statement and will read it regardless of course. Do not underestimate its importance in your application, but for more specifics for languages see the oxford feedback from last year

https://www.some.ox.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Modern-Languages-2020.pdf

And the history feedback fo 2019

https://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/History_0.pdf

A levels seem to be more of a tick in the box, and interview and admissions test (and sometimes GCSEs) will come before this. As long as you have the grades required, and your reference backs up your grades and performance, then whether you have three As or five A*s shouldn't worry you.
Good luck!

Thank you so much for this detailed answer, it really helps. I never knew these admissions statistics and feedback existed, so thank you! Good luck with your application!
Original post by succubus666
i dont think this is necessarily true, personal statement is very important as it gives a basis for your interview questions

Yes it certainly makes sense for the interview to be based on the personal statement. I got confused because I found this info on a trusted admissions website. But yes what you are saying seems correct, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending