The Student Room Group

University of Oxford A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if international students are considered exactly the same as home students pre-interview? i would have thought that because there are fewer spaces, they'd have a higher threshold to meet? but maybe I'm wrong.
Original post by terrysorange
Does anyone know if international students are considered exactly the same as home students pre-interview? i would have thought that because there are fewer spaces, they'd have a higher threshold to meet? but maybe I'm wrong.

@nexttime, if he was still around would probably know more.

But considering that they only shortlist ~ 30 applicants (https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/applying/international) for interview, you'd have to meet a higher threshold.

Short-listing is conducted in line with the quota imposed on the Medical School by the UK Government for the available international places i.e. the number shortlisted for interview is restricted to approximately 32 for the standard A100 course.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by koschei108
So I've just received an email saying;

'Because we will be interviewing approximately 3 candidates for each of our c. 150 available places but received 1860 applications this year, we will only be calling you to interview if we believe you have a good chance of being offered a place. We will draw up a shortlist of applicants for interview based primarily on your results in the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) on 3 November for which you should have already registered, and, where applicable, your GCSE performance'

I found this a bit odd, as last year I was told:

'We had 2,054 applications for around 155 places this year, and you are amongst the 425 shortlisted. The shortlisting procedure was carried out centrally and based largely on GCSEs (where applicable) and BMAT marks the two achievements the majority of candidates have on record'

They seem to make it sound like they've had a surplus of applications that will make getting a place less likely, yet they have 200 less applicants than last year?

The website sort of says this and the university is quite transparent in how they select, I think this is making adjustments as obviously this cohort didn't sit GCSEs so there will be a larger proportion with all 8/9s so I think both graphs from the statistics page will shift to the right ie. more people with a high proportion and number of A*s at GCSE meaning that BMAT scores for interview and therefore offer will go up (hopefully not too much) so they're letting people know that their BMAT score is primary this year and that they can't rely on their GCSEs as much
Anyway that's my interpretation :smile: Good luck to everyone
Reply 83
So I've just received an email saying;

'Because we will be interviewing approximately 3 candidates for each of our c. 150 available places but received 1860 applications this year, we will only be calling you to interview if we believe you have a good chance of being offered a place. We will draw up a shortlist of applicants for interview based primarily on your results in the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) on 3 November for which you should have already registered, and, where applicable, your GCSE performance'

I found this a bit odd, as last year I was told:

'We had 2,054 applications for around 155 places this year, and you are amongst the 425 shortlisted. The shortlisting procedure was carried out centrally and based largely on GCSEs (where applicable) and BMAT marks the two achievements the majority of candidates have on record'

They seem to make it sound like they've had a surplus of applications that will make getting a place less likely, yet they have 200 less applicants than last year?

But CAGs grade inflation mean they all have multiple A*s this year, I suspect, so that metric is far less discriminating and it will largetly come down to BMAT
Original post by GANFYD
But CAGs grade inflation mean they all have multiple A*s this year, I suspect, so that metric is far less discriminating and it will largetly come down to BMAT

Right, that makes sense thank you. Do you think it will matter that I actually sat my GCSEs or will they not care?
Reply 85
Right, that makes sense thank you. Do you think it will matter that I actually sat my GCSEs or will they not care?

Exams, CAGs and TAGs will all be treated the same :smile:
Guys I'm having last min jitters and I would love some realistic advice at this point.

I have 8x 9s, 2x 8s.

3 A* predicted in Bio, Chem, English Lit, and A* predicted in EPQ.

Am contextual- receive FSM, live in Q2.

I did the 2020 BMAT as practice and got S1- 4.8 S2-6 and now I'm worried. this is my highest ever S2- I usually get early to mid fives. Section 1 I was really disappointed with. Do I stand a chance at oxford-even at getting an interview with these scores?

or @GANFYD, i would love some pragmatic advice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sunshinesky
Guys I'm having last min jitters and I would love some realistic advice at this point...

Don't worry about anything (other than the BMAT) now, just try your best. There's nothing else you can do at this stage.

Stressing about things would only affect your performance.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Guys I'm having last min jitters and I would love some realistic advice at this point.

I have 8x 9s, 2x 8s.

I did the 2020 BMAT as practice and got S1- 4.8 S2-6 and now I'm worried. this is my highest ever S2- I usually get early to mid fives. Section 1 I was really disappointed with. Do I stand a chance at oxford-even at getting an interview with these scores?

@ecolier or @GANFYD, i would love some pragmatic advice.

The thing is, you've applied now - you're stuck with it!
You have the GCSEs and A levels which will be better than quite a few candidates, so all you can do is focus on BMAT and keep your fingers crossed. The numbers that matter are the ones you really get on the exam, and there's still everything to play for. Plus, presumably you've applied to 3 other medical schools you'd be excited to go to and are likely to interview at :smile:

i emailed them about this and they said that they will take it into consideration (also on their website they say "we will take into account the circumstances under which your grades were awarded" but i still emailed to know explicitly if that referred to CAGs vs people sitting exams or if it referred to like extenuation circumstances. it refers to both).

it probs wont effect their algorithm that makes the original shortlist tho but they'll probably take it into consideration when they're looking for the extra people (around 50) to add to the shortlist of 380 people decided by the algorithm.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey guys, does anyone know what Oxford did last year for people who had difficulties during the BMAT? I didn't get to sit mine bc Cambridge servers crashed
Reply 91

I have 8x 9s, 2x 8s.

@ecolier or @GANFYD, i would love some pragmatic advice.

Check out this http://uclmedic.blogspot.com/2015/09/how-oxford-use-bmat-and-gcses-guide-to.html?m=1
Screenshot_20211103-182819_Samsung Internet.jpg

I love you do much thanks for posting this

Is there any info like this for 2018/2019?
Reply 94
Original post by kefuffle
Is there any info like this for 2018/2019?

Best source of info is the official statistics from last year's application cycle https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
A few stats below

Screenshot_20211106-224331_Samsung Internet.jpg
which college did everyone apply for?
Reply 96
Original post by Radish Spirit

St Catherines

Exeter
St Hugh's