The Student Room Group

Dry and curly hair products?

My hair has been super curly for the past half year or so. It also feels really dry when I run my fingers through it. I hate how it looks and feels.

What's the best shampoo to straighten and moisturize it?

Scroll to see replies

Have you tried baby shampoo? I found adult shampoo really harsh and drying (only used it once though).
I use the Mustela one.
Reply 2
Original post by rainbowpillow
Have you tried baby shampoo? I found adult shampoo really harsh and drying (only used it once though).
I use the Mustela one.

I thought baby shampoo is no good to use everyday?
Original post by Sabertooth

You aren't meant to wash your hair everyday though.
I only wash mine once every 2-3 days.......
Reply 4
You aren't meant to wash your hair everyday though.
I only wash mine once every 2-3 days.......

My hair goes super greasy if I don't wash it everyday.
My hair goes super greasy if I don't wash it everyday.

Oh...
Maybe try some natural products then? They probably have less harsh chemicals in them.

It's less harsh than adult shampoo so it's probably better to use every day than the adult stuff.

To answer your original equation, no shampoo will make your hair straight. It may help to look into shampoo for wavy/curly hair as it tends to me more moisturising and usually does not contains harsh sulphates that strip hair of oils and make it dry. Might also be worth using a hair conditioner if you don't already - if your hair is fine, conditioner may also weigh it down a little and thus make it straight (at least that is what happens with my medium length, very fine, wavy hair).
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
It's less harsh than adult shampoo so it's probably better to use every day than the adult stuff.

To answer your original equation, no shampoo will make your hair straight. It may help to look into shampoo for wavy/curly hair as it tends to me more moisturising and usually does not contains harsh sulphates that strip hair of oils and make it dry. Might also be worth using a hair conditioner if you don't already - if your hair is fine, conditioner may also weigh it down a little and thus make it straight (at least that is what happens with my medium length, very fine, wavy hair).

Thank you for the response. Is there any specific conditioner you'd recommend?
Thank you for the response. Is there any specific conditioner you'd recommend?

I actually don't use conditioner that often myself and I've never found one that I thought was particularly great. I am using this one at the moment - it's not great but it's OK and doesn't make my hair greasy.
Reply 9
I actually don't use conditioner that often myself and I've never found one that I thought was particularly great. I am using this one at the moment - it's not great but it's OK and doesn't make my hair greasy.

that one is very erm.....pink. :tongue:
that one is very erm.....pink. :tongue:

Haha yes :lol: It does also smell a bit girly. But there should be more masculine brands out there too - just don't go for 2-in-1 combinations as they are pretty useless.
Haha yes :lol: It does also smell a bit girly. But there should be more masculine brands out there too - just don't go for 2-in-1 combinations as they are pretty useless.

If I didn't look like a neo-nazi I would shave my head. :tongue:

Do you know anything about Old Spice conditioner? I like how their products smell.

Thanks for the 2-in-1 tip!
My hair has been super curly for the past half year or so. It also feels really dry when I run my fingers through it. I hate how it looks and feels.

What's the best shampoo to straighten and moisturize it?

Have you had a haircut recently?

Maybe look into some anti-frizz shampoo? There isn’t really a shampoo that will make your hair straight but the anti-frizz ones might help slightly.

If your hair gets oily, try not to put to much conditioner and don’t leave it for too long. Also make sure you avoid the scalp area. It’s not supposed to go there!
If I didn't look like a neo-nazi I would shave my head. :tongue:

Do you know anything about Old Spice conditioner? I like how their products smell.

Thanks for the 2-in-1 tip!

Ha, I would too but it is even less socially acceptable for a female :lol:

No, I don't know about Old Spice conditioner I'm afraid. But if it's not too expensive, might as well try it?
Original post by 5hyl33n

Maybe look into some anti-frizz shampoo? There isn’t really a shampoo that will make your hair straight but the anti-frizz ones might help slightly.

If your hair gets oily, try not to put to much conditioner and don’t leave it for too long. Also make sure you avoid the scalp area. It’s not supposed to go there!

No, I haven't had a haircut recently. It's about 15cm long on the top. I didn't want to go to a barber because of covid.

I'll look at the anti-frizz one. Di you have any recommendations?
No, I haven't had a haircut recently. It's about 15cm long on the top. I didn't want to go to a barber because of covid.

I'll look at the anti-frizz one. Di you have any recommendations?

That's okay. Cut off a few cm whenever you next go to the barber. :smile:

Here are a few brands:
Old Spice
TRESemme (there has been some issue with these products but I use them and have been fine)
Head and Shoulders (never tried their products but I know a few people who use it and their hair is fine)
Pantene
Garnier
Herbal essences
Aussie

There are a lot more brands out there. Honestly, I think you should explore around for different brands, see what might work for you, try it for a few weeks. Also, you might want to pick a neutral smell such as coconut or follow it up with a gel if you don't like the smell of your hair after. :lol:

You could also put oil in your hair once every two weeks to reduce dryness. Don't put too much though if you decide to do this because you will need a lot more shampoo to remove it and using too much shampoo can damage your hair.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n

No you are meant to put conditioner on the scalp area!
That is the part that needs the nutrients as the new hair grows from there.

Yes you can. I cowash (was with conditiiner) and scrub ny scalp using silicone free conditioner and wash my hair with it. Iv been doing this for over 5 years and only used shampoo a handful of times in this time. My hairs never been so healthy even with the bleach and colouring
Saber saber saber.

Co wash.

Cut out shampoo and was your hair with silicone free conditioner. You hair will be less greasy after washing, it wont be as dry as your not stripping it of its natural oils and it will just be healthier :yep:

Original post by PonchoKid
Yes you can. I cowash (was with conditiiner) and scrub ny scalp using silicone free conditioner and wash my hair with it. Iv been doing this for over 5 years and only used shampoo a handful of times in this time. My hairs never been so healthy even with the bleach and colouring

Really? Do you put conditioner on your scalp? Everywhere I've looked (especially on conditioner bottles) it says not to do that. I never do that and my hair is healthy as well. As I said before everyone's hair is different so OP will have to 'experiment'.

Quick Reply

Latest