The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham 2022 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Hey:smile: I haven’t seen a thread for Durham 2022 postgraduate applicants yet so thought I'd make one:smile:

Ive received an offer for MSc Marketing and I'm thinking about applying to Castle or Hatfield.

What has everyone applied to do?
which colleges are you considering, do you have a favourite?
have you received an offer yet or just sent in an application?

Look forward to hearing from everyone:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by the2021student
Hey:smile: I haven’t seen a thread for Durham 2022 postgraduate applicants yet so thought I'd make one:smile:

Ive received an offer for MSc Marketing and I'm thinking about applying to Castle or Hatfield.

What has everyone applied to do?
which colleges are you considering, do you have a favourite?
have you received an offer yet or just sent in an application?

Look forward to hearing from everyone:smile:

Hey!

I've applied to MA Religion and Society and received my offer a few weeks ago!
I'm considering either Chad's or John's but I have to admit that I really love the look of Chad's.

Nice to meet you :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by praha123
Hey!

I've applied to MA Religion and Society and received my offer a few weeks ago!
I'm considering either Chad's or John's but I have to admit that I really love the look of Chad's.

Nice to meet you :smile:

Hey!

That sounds great! Religion and Society sounds so interesting:smile:
Do you know how the college application process works? I didn't see anywhere on our application to list our preferred colleges.

Hope to hear from you again:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by the2021student
Hey!

That sounds great! Religion and Society sounds so interesting:smile:
Do you know how the college application process works? I didn't see anywhere on our application to list our preferred colleges.

Hope to hear from you again:smile:

Hi!

From what I know, we don't hear anything about Colleges until March-April next year I think?

Is Durham your first choice, just out of interest?
Hi!

From what I know, we don't hear anything about Colleges until March-April next year I think?

Is Durham your first choice, just out of interest?

Hey!!!

Yes Durham is my first choice :smile: wbu??
Reply 5
Hey! I have applied to MSc management. I want to get into chads. I loved the whole vibe of that place. But I’m confused on how and when to lost our preferences as I didn’t get any option while filling the application like all the undergraduate applicants do. There isn’t much information on the website either on this. Nice to meet you 😀
Hi all!

I applied for MA History and received my offer today which is so exciting! I am a bit worried to learn that there is a tuition deposit for international students - Durham asks for it within six weeks of the offer, but I won't even hear back about my other applications until February/March? Is anyone else in a similar position?

Per this website it seems college allocation for postgraduates does not begin until July. That seems awfully short notice especially if you don't get accommodation. Like everyone, I love the look of Chad's :smile: but also Cuthbert's and Grey!

Wishing you all the best of luck and hopefully we can meet in Durham next year!
Reply 7
Original post by gradgirl22
Hi all!

I applied for MA History and received my offer today which is so exciting! I am a bit worried to learn that there is a tuition deposit for international students - Durham asks for it within six weeks of the offer, but I won't even hear back about my other applications until February/March? Is anyone else in a similar position?

Per this website it seems college allocation for postgraduates does not begin until July. That seems awfully short notice especially if you don't get accommodation. Like everyone, I love the look of Chad's :smile: but also Cuthbert's and Grey!

Wishing you all the best of luck and hopefully we can meet in Durham next year!

Hey! I’m an international student as well, same with the 6 week deadline. The allocation of colleges for postgraduates is frustrating as well. I want to get my preference rather than bring randomly allotted to some college.
Nice to meet you and congratulations on your offer!
Original post by APS24
Hey! I have applied to MSc management. I want to get into chads. I loved the whole vibe of that place. But I’m confused on how and when to lost our preferences as I didn’t get any option while filling the application like all the undergraduate applicants do. There isn’t much information on the website either on this. Nice to meet you 😀

Hey! 😁 Yes I think we will get an email in July about allocations - but as @gradgirl22 also said, i think that’s quite late! Nice to meet you too :smile:
Reply 9
Hi all! I just sent my application today. Does anyone know how do we know if Durham already sent the reference requests to our referees? Because I don't get any emails regarding this matter. Thanks and all the best for us!
Original post by irenaap
Hi all! I just sent my application today. Does anyone know how do we know if Durham already sent the reference requests to our referees? Because I don't get any emails regarding this matter. Thanks and all the best for us!

My references received the requests automatically once I submitted the application. Best way to check would be to reach out to them though! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by gradgirl22
My references received the requests automatically once I submitted the application. Best way to check would be to reach out to them though! :smile:

Thanks!:smile: One of my referees told me later yesterday that he already got the request.

Do you know where to track the application progress or to resend reference request emails from the portal?
Seems to me I can only see my application status as "Application received". In other unis that I applied to, I can track whether the reference is successfully received by the unis & send reminder emails to the referees
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 2022hopefull
Hi!
I’ve recently sent of my application for MSc Forensic Archaeology and Anthropology.
I’m hoping to commute from Gateshead so I haven’t really been looking into colleges as I won’t be needing accommodation.
How long did it take to hear back about your offer?Nice to hear from other applicants🙂

Hey! Lovely to hear from you:smile:

I sent my application on 1st October and received my offer on the 18th of October. Hope this helps and good luck! x
Hey,

I got my offer about 8 weeks ago now, before one of my references had been processed. The reference was sent in like a day later and they still haven't processed it, so it still asks me to submit it on the applicant portal, is anyone else having this issue?
Reply 14
Hey,

I got my offer about 8 weeks ago now, before one of my references had been processed. The reference was sent in like a day later and they still haven't processed it, so it still asks me to submit it on the applicant portal, is anyone else having this issue?

Hi, how do know that they processed your application before they got your second reference?

I got a conditional offer this week and they asked me to provide one more academic reference. The condition says:
"Receipt of one further satisfactory academic reference."

I'm not sure whether they need me to provide a third reference or one of my references hasn't been submitted when they accessing my application, since they didn't give notification when they received the references. I'm currently enquiring them regarding this.
Original post by irenaap
Hi, how do know that they processed your application before they got your second reference?

I got a conditional offer this week and they asked me to provide one more academic reference. The condition says:
"Receipt of one further satisfactory academic reference."

I'm not sure whether they need me to provide a third reference or one of my references hasn't been submitted when they accessing my application, since they didn't give notification when they received the references. I'm currently enquiring them regarding this.

Hey,

I know because my second reference hadn't even sent it yet when I got my offer :h: It sounds like you're in a very similar situation to me, ask your references if they've sent them off. Both my references have now been sent in, but I'm still waiting for them to process that last one. I've been through the enquiry process with Durham and they weren't very helpful, it was very much a response of 'it'll get processed when it does.'
Reply 16
Hey,

I know because my second reference hadn't even sent it yet when I got my offer :h: It sounds like you're in a very similar situation to me, ask your references if they've sent them off. Both my references have now been sent in, but I'm still waiting for them to process that last one. I've been through the enquiry process with Durham and they weren't very helpful, it was very much a response of 'it'll get processed when it does.'

Oh, I see. In my situation, I got my first reference on the same day I submitted the application (he told me), and I think my second referee submitted hers on the next day (on weekend). She didn't inform me but I got notifications from other schools that I applied to, so I assume she already submitted it to Durham, too. That's why I'm not sure when exactly Durham process my application. I'll check with her again. Thanks for your info!

In your case, did your second referee submit it directly to Durham? or did you upload it?
Hello, thank you for starting this thread!

I just received my offer for the MA International Relations (Middle East) program. I haven't accepted yet as I am still waiting on my top choice to get back to me but Durham is my second choice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello! Don't know if anyone's still around, but I accepted an offer for the Education MA. I'm terribly fond of the idea of living in Chad's, but I just got that email today inviting postgrads to apply for early accommodation according to our preferences WITHOUT getting to select out preferred colleges. I'm not sure which stresses me out more: the idea of not getting accommodation if I wait or not getting to choose my colleges. Or, even worse, waiting to apply for Chad's and then winding up in a room with no ensuite and sharing a bathroom with students of who-knows-what age. I feel too old to share a bathroom with undergrads. Has anyone else accepted their offer and found themselves in a similar predicament?
(edited 2 years ago)
Questions for the postgrads, what are you guys thinking about accommodations? private or uni?

Quick Reply

Latest