The Student Room Group

Dry and curly hair products?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 5hyl33n
Really? Do you put conditioner on your scalp? Everywhere I've looked (especially on conditioner bottles) it says not to do that. I never do that and my hair is healthy as well. As I said before everyone's hair is different so OP will have to 'experiment'.

Oh maybe it is a culture thing then?
My parents always said to put conditioner on your scalp rather than on the ends.
Original post by rainbowpillow
Oh maybe it is a culture thing then?
My parents always said to put conditioner on your scalp rather than on the ends.

:no:

Your roots produce natural oils anyway so they don't need extra oil. It's your hair that needs the nutrients.

It gets a bit more complicated if your roots don't produce enough natural oil but I assume @Sabertooth doesn't have that problem?
Original post by 5hyl33n

Head and Shoulders (never tried their products but I know a few people who use it and their hair is fine)

Every single Head and Shoulders shampoo I have tried has made my hair super greasy (and also didn't help with dandruff and made my scalp itch :redface: ). Would definitely not recommend to someone with fine hair that gets easily greasy
Original post by PonchoKid
Yes you can. I cowash (was with conditiiner) and scrub ny scalp using silicone free conditioner and wash my hair with it. Iv been doing this for over 5 years and only used shampoo a handful of times in this time. My hairs never been so healthy even with the bleach and colouring

Does scrubbing your scalp with conditioner not make your hair fall out? I tried it a couple of times and though though my hair did seem clean enough, the amount of scrubbing I had to do made SO much hair fall out. Maybe I was doing it wrong? :redface:
(edited 2 years ago)
Good luck
Original post by black tea
Every single Head and Shoulders shampoo I have tried has made my hair super greasy (and also didn't help with dandruff and made my scalp itch :redface: ). Would definitely not recommend to someone with fine hair that gets easily greasy

Yeah, I've heard that from a few people but others say it works fine for them! :curious:

Due to the mixed reviews, I've never tried it.
Saber saber saber.

Co wash.

Cut out shampoo and was your hair with silicone free conditioner. You hair will be less greasy after washing, it wont be as dry as your not stripping it of its natural oils and it will just be healthier :yep:

What conditioner do you suggest?

I have been doing a little research and am wondering whether my dry curly hair is due to swimming every day. I use a 3-in-1 shampoo at the gym after swimming which probably isn't helping but I cba to bring the 3 separately.
Original post by 5hyl33n
:no:

Your roots produce natural oils anyway so they don't need extra oil. It's your hair that needs the nutrients.

It gets a bit more complicated if your roots don't produce enough natural oil but I assume @Sabertooth doesn't have that problem?

Oh no, I get a hell of a lot of oil. I have to wash my hair everyday because it gets so greasy.
FWIW my hair looks like a hobbit's. Just drier. :sigh:
when I was little I had straight hair but then I started to swim and my hair got fizzy and wavy. I use shea moisture. works well for my hair. I also do a hair mask and smoothie. at night I have to braid and wrap my hair up. I don't know of any manly smelling shampoo or conditioner I could ask my brother what he uses
Original post by Sabertooth
What conditioner do you suggest?

I have been doing a little research and am wondering whether my dry curly hair is due to swimming every day. I use a 3-in-1 shampoo at the gym after swimming which probably isn't helping but I cba to bring the 3 separately.

It probably is swimming thats drying it out, id suggest once a week doing a hair mask (leave it on for atleasr 5 minuets but could leace it on for hours or overnight is best)

I use one from poundland at the moment to was, i also use garnier hair food for a mask and a body shop on for a leave in during the day. Theres a curly girl facebook group though its not just for girls tyeres lots of men and boy mums on there and theres lots of suggestions for US brands
Original post by black tea

Does scrubbing your scalp with conditioner not make your hair fall out? I tried it a couple of times and though though my hair did seem clean enough, the amount of scrubbing I had to do made SO much hair fall out. Maybe I was doing it wrong? :redface:

Nope, youll likely go through a transition fase at the begginning where your hair my look greasy, but yourl just scrub your scalp with your finger tips, then i have a scalp brush (it has like silicone spikes) that i use for a deep massafe when i feel build up. My hairs clean, and so much healthier, pre co washing it was in such a bad stare it would matt constantoy and i mean huge clumos of matts in the space of like a day or two, now it gets knotty but necer matts. I wash it every other day but some people can go a weeo without a wash. I detangle with my fingers every wasg, but then do a bug comb through about once a week
It probably is swimming thats drying it out, id suggest once a week doing a hair mask (leave it on for atleasr 5 minuets but could leace it on for hours or overnight is best)

I use one from poundland at the moment to was, i also use garnier hair food for a mask and a body shop on for a leave in during the day. Theres a curly girl facebook group though its not just for girls tyeres lots of men and boy mums on there and theres lots of suggestions for US brands

Hmm....that seems like a lot of work :colondollar: I was enjoying having the "covid-hairstyle" but I'm thinking of just shaving it all off and starting again. I think it must be the swimming. At work there's a picture of me in the office with similar length hair but it looks so soft and much straighter, it looks really good unlike the mess I have now. :frown:
Hmm....that seems like a lot of work :colondollar: I was enjoying having the "covid-hairstyle" but I'm thinking of just shaving it all off and starting again. I think it must be the swimming. At work there's a picture of me in the office with similar length hair but it looks so soft and much straighter, it looks really good unlike the mess I have now. :frown:

I forgot that you swim! :facepalm:

It's most likely the chlorine causing the damage.
Original post by 5hyl33n
I forgot that you swim! :facepalm:

It's most likely the chlorine causing the damage.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

I'm going to get this:
https://www.amazon.com/UltraSwim-Chlorine-Removal-Shampoo-Ounces/dp/B000052Y0S

If it doesn't work, I'll probably go back to a shaved head. :sigh:
Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

I'm going to get this:
https://www.amazon.com/UltraSwim-Chlorine-Removal-Shampoo-Ounces/dp/B000052Y0S

If it doesn't work, I'll probably go back to a shaved head. :sigh:

Hopefully, it works! :smile:

After a shower or bath when youv washed your hair and dried it with a towel put a good handful of a hair mask for dry or damaged hair, and go about your morning (so a weekend morning when your not going anywhere, then just rinse it out whenever you want. :yep: will do your hair a world of good
After a shower or bath when youv washed your hair and dried it with a towel put a good handful of a hair mask for dry or damaged hair, and go about your morning (so a weekend morning when your not going anywhere, then just rinse it out whenever you want. :yep: will do your hair a world of good

I know nothing about this :colondollar:

https://www.amazon.com/Hair-Mask-Guacamole-Treatment-Silkiness/dp/B07K7VD98J
Would that do for a hair mask?
I know nothing about this :colondollar:

https://www.amazon.com/Hair-Mask-Guacamole-Treatment-Silkiness/dp/B07K7VD98J
Would that do for a hair mask?

Yep, for your sake that would be perfectpy fine :yep: ideally pop a shower cap and a towel wrapped round when its on to keep heat in as that helps, but isnt nesecery.

Ill be doing a mask this weekend as im redying it :yep:
Reply 37
Why don't you try straighteners?
And Johm Frieda Frizz Ease
Yep, for your sake that would be perfectpy fine :yep: ideally pop a shower cap and a towel wrapped round when its on to keep heat in as that helps, but isnt nesecery.

Ill be doing a mask this weekend as im redying it :yep:

Thanks for the tip!

What color are you dying it? :smile:
Original post by Cote1
Why don't you try straighteners?
And Johm Frieda Frizz Ease

Yeah......I don't really want to spend the time straightening it. :frown: I blow-dried it the other day as I read that can reduce some of the frizziness but it didn't help and also I cba to spend time fussing over my hair every morning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending