The Student Room Group

Can I take a graphic design course at uni with a level textiles?

I am in year 13 and I take Maths, Textiles and Psychology. I want to take a graphic design course at uni next year. I am a bit stressed right now because of the portfolio, since I don't take graphics at a level I was wondering if it is even possible I can take this course next year with the courses I take at the moment. Could someone please give me advice? I'd prefer to start the course at uni next year but I also want to get in lol. should I take a foundation or what? help T-T thanks!
Apply for a foundation too, and then see what happens (also, there is a massive difference between going to university at 18 and at 19, so my regret is being in too much of a hurry, I wish I had taken an art foundation and done a bit of growing up first!).

Personally I like to see a textiles portfolio from architecture applicants - taking something 1D and making it 2D, taking something 2D and making it 3D - is as close as you can get to architecture at A’level (in the UK). But I don’t know whether graphics lecturers will see it the same way!
Are you doing any pattern design/screen printing as part of your textiles course?

Could you include any typography themes/research in any of your projects?

What about putting together a website or zine to house your portfolio?

There’s plenty of ways to include graphic design elements and skills in a textiles course. And if you’re not successful in getting into a BA course directly then taking a foundation diploma post A level is incredibly common (and helpful) for anyone wanting to study a creative subject.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cookiedough124
I am in year 13 and I take Maths, Textiles and Psychology. I want to take a graphic design course at uni next year. I am a bit stressed right now because of the portfolio, since I don't take graphics at a level I was wondering if it is even possible I can take this course next year with the courses I take at the moment. Could someone please give me advice? I'd prefer to start the course at uni next year but I also want to get in lol. should I take a foundation or what? help T-T thanks!

I think a foundation year at a local FE college would be very beneficial in your situation.However you can apply for Unis this year and try your luck but you will need to show them a portfolio of work but you can phone some uni admissions and ask.Newcastle are very nice to talk to as are Oxford Brookes.However you can apply for FE foundation courses locally outside of Ucas as a back up.Just phone up and ask when their deadlines are and what is required to get on their course.
Original post by PQ
Are you doing any pattern design/screen printing as part of your textiles course?

Could you include any typography themes/research in any of your projects?

What about putting together a website or zine to house your portfolio?

Excellent advice @PQ - that’s also a good example of ‘design thinking’!

Quick Reply

Latest