The Student Room Group

Studying a Second Degree Without Finishing My First Degree

Hello,

I was looking for some advice on getting funding for a degree. Is studied my first degree but dropped out at the start of my third year due to family issues.

I am now looking at studying a Biomedical Degree at ARU Peterborough, course code B491. I was wondering what finance options were available to me?

Thanks in advance
Original post by HBaker191293
Hello,

I was looking for some advice on getting funding for a degree. Is studied my first degree but dropped out at the start of my third year due to family issues.

I am now looking at studying a Biomedical Degree at ARU Peterborough, course code B491. I was wondering what finance options were available to me?

Thanks in advance

Hi, is your new course full or part time? Was your previous course full or part time?

How many years of previous study do you have and what is the length of your new course? Can you confirm you have not received any qualification?

Thanks, Isaac
Hello,

I am looking at studying biomedical science or paramedic science. I was looking at full time (3 years). My last degree was a full time psychology and criminology degree. I studied two years and got a certificate saying level 5 qualification but no a full degree.

Thanks,

Holly
Original post by HBaker191293
Hello,

I am looking at studying biomedical science or paramedic science. I was looking at full time (3 years). My last degree was a full time psychology and criminology degree. I studied two years and got a certificate saying level 5 qualification but no a full degree.

Thanks,

Holly

For a new full time course, the calculation we use is :

Length of new course + 1 additional year - any previous study = entitlement

If you are now studying a qualification higher than what you already have and you have 2 years of previous study, your calculation for a new 3 year full time course will be:

3+1-2 = 2 years of funding, you will need to self fund the tuition fee in the first year but you will still receive maintenance loan.

Thanks, Isaac
Hi, I study BA Media and Communications. I studied Year 0, 1 and currently in Year 2. I self funded my course. I wanted to find out how many years of funding can I claim for full time or part time course? I am looking to apply for BA Social Work. Thank you
Original post by ktreebhawon
Hi, I study BA Media and Communications. I studied Year 0, 1 and currently in Year 2. I self funded my course. I wanted to find out how many years of funding can I claim for full time or part time course? I am looking to apply for BA Social Work. Thank you

Hi, did you receive no qualification?

Thanks, Isaac
Hold level 4. If this year finished I may have level 5.
Hold level 4. If this year finished I may have level 5.

Full time undergraduate applicants receive funding for :

Length of new course + 1 additional year - any previous study = entitlement

Part time applicants can receive funding for up to 16 years.

If you study a 3 year full time social work course and you have 3 years of previous study, your calculation will be 3+1-3 = 1 year of funding and you will have to self fund the first 2 years.

If you study a part time social work course then you will be funded for up to 16 years.

Thanks, Isaac
Which full time courses are eligible for full funding? I am aware there's Allied Health professional, Nursing and Midwifery courses.
Which full time courses are eligible for full funding? I am aware there's Allied Health professional, Nursing and Midwifery courses.

Full Time
Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac
Does teaching falls into this? Would I be eligible for part time funding if I change BA Media and Communications part time?
Does teaching falls into this? Would I be eligible for part time funding if I change BA Media and Communications part time?

If the teaching course is 2 years or less, non salaried and you will be achieving the Qualified Teacher Status qualification then you can be funded regardless of previous study/qualifications.

Thanks, Isaac
Would I get funding if I change my current course Media and Communications from full time to part time? I am currently ineligible.
Would I get funding if I change my current course Media and Communications from full time to part time? I am currently ineligible.

Your previous full time study does not affect your eligibility for part time funding unless you received a qualification.

You mentioned the highest qualification you received is a level 5, so as long as your part time course is a level 6 course then you will be funded and should be eligible.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending