The Student Room Group

History of art applicants thread for 2022

After seeing last years student room thread for history of art applicants, I thought it would be a good idea to create this year’s version!

So if you’re applying for history of art this year, then please feel free to ask questions and share which unis you’re applying to.

Good luck with your application!

@StrawberryDreams - add this thread please!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newr1sb
After seeing last years student room thread for history of art applicants, I thought it would be a good idea to create this year’s version!

So if you’re applying for history of art this year, then please feel free to ask questions and share which unis you’re applying to.

Good luck with your application!

i think this is such a nice idea, thank you for making this thread!
i’m applying for history of art at oxford, exeter, ucl and the courtauld, where are you thinking of applying?
also out of curiosity, what a levels are people studying?
good luck with your application
Reply 2
Original post by ArtHistoryFairy
i’m applying for history of art at oxford, exeter, ucl and the courtauld, where are you thinking of applying?

Hi!

I’m applying to Cambridge but don’t really know where else. It’s so hard this year without in person open days to figure out where to go!
hi! so happy to have finally found the art history thread :-) i just sent in my application for art history and italian at UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol, Glasgow, and Manchester!!

omg good luck! i'm applying to oxford and ucl too. i doubt i'll get into oxford 😔
Original post by ALstudent11
hi! so happy to have finally found the art history thread :-) i just sent in my application for art history and italian at UCL, Edinburgh, Bristol, Glasgow, and Manchester!!

Original post by catluver26
omg good luck! i'm applying to oxford and ucl too. i doubt i'll get into oxford 😔

it is so nice to see that this thread is getting more attention, i hope we can all make friends and be supportive of one another in this journey! best wishes to everyone applying 🌷
out of curiosity, what a levels do you all take?

it’s so nice to find someone else in the same boat! what college are you applying to? i’m applying to lincoln 🪴
it’s so nice to find someone else in the same boat! what college are you applying to? i’m applying to lincoln 🪴

i'm applying to st catherine's and i'm doing fine art, english lit and psychology 😁 what a-levels are you doing? also have you submitted the written works?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8

right? I've been looking for a thread for this year's applicants hahah
I'm applying to st andrews, Edinburgh, Birmingham, york and ucl :-)
I'm an IB student, so I don't take a-levels :-(, but I take psychology, history and english lit at higher level and ess, french b and maths ai at standard level.
does anyone else here take IB?
best of luck with your applications too!!
(edited 2 years ago)
i'm applying to st catherine's and i'm doing fine art, english lit and psychology 😁 what a-levels are you doing? also have you submitted the written works?

i do history of art, fine art, politics, dt: fashion and textiles and EPQ ☺️ i haven’t submitted my written work just yet, but i will send it off soon!
Original post by Ava Bay
right? I've been looking for a thread for this year's applicants hahah
I'm applying to st andrews, Edinburgh, Birmingham, york and ucl :-)
I'm an IB student, so I don't take a-levels :-(, but I take psychology, history and english lit at higher level and ess, french b and maths ai at standard level.
does anyone else here take IB?
best of luck with your applications too!!

hello, it’s nice to meet you! best wishes for your application! have you sent it off yet?
i do history of art, fine art, politics, dt: fashion and textiles and EPQ ☺️ i haven’t submitted my written work just yet, but i will send it off soon!

my goodness you've got a lot on your plate, your hands and back must ache from all the work 😦 i've been frantically searching for examples on what to write for the response to an artwork but i've had no luck 😔 i don't want my response to end up being rubbish
my goodness you've got a lot on your plate, your hands and back must ache from all the work 😦 i've been frantically searching for examples on what to write for the response to an artwork but i've had no luck 😔 i don't want my response to end up being rubbish

Studied English History Latin Class Civ and Public Speaking 😀 Applied to Pembroke Cambridge, Exeter (under Liberal Arts,) Courtauld, Kent and NCH with Creative writing. I was recommended a book called Writing About Art by Sylvan Barnet for a thematic/synoptic approach. Mary Acton’s Learning to Look series is on point as far as your work on formal analysis is concerned. Hamilton College also has a good checklist and examples to help you organize your work. Hope that helps!
(edited 2 years ago)

i wouldn’t worry or overthink the written work too much! just make sure you show passion in your response and demonstrate good visual analysis. i get the impression that all the history of art tutors are really friendly and understanding, so don’t get too stressed over this! ☺️
Has anyone heard anything from the courtauld yet? They're my only choice who didn't send a confirmation
Original post by ferno6311
Has anyone heard anything from the courtauld yet? They're my only choice who didn't send a confirmation

Courtauld are notorious. Wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve not got anything back either. Don’t think anyone has tbf.
hi gang. I’ve applied Oxford, courtauld, Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh. glad to hear no one else has a confirmation email for courtauld lol
Original post by Supreme18
hi gang. I’ve applied Oxford, courtauld, Manchester, Bristol, Edinburgh. glad to hear no one else has a confirmation email for courtauld lol

hello! i think it’s so nice that this little thread is gradually growing☺️ it’s also really nice to find someone else applying to oxford, what college have you applied to? : )
Original post by SPFPuffin18
Courtauld are notorious. Wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve not got anything back either. Don’t think anyone has tbf.

Ah good to hear. I was worried cause I had to sign up to portals for cambridge + UCL and have offers from manchester and leeds but radio silence from Courtauld
Original post by ferno6311
Ah good to hear. I was worried cause I had to sign up to portals for cambridge + UCL and have offers from manchester and leeds but radio silence from Courtauld

Which College are you applying to in Cambridge? I’m going for Pembroke. Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending