The Student Room Group

Starting to regret staying late

I stay an extra hour on a Wednesday to help with a sporting club as it’s not what I teach but really enjoy. However balancing that and my ect. I’m getting a bit tired. What do I do? Should I keep going as obvs I have my options open to new jobs and it shows I’m clearly taking initiative or do I just call it quits cos I’m so tired.
I mean it's only like 1 extra hour a week and you enjoy it?
Sounds pretty worth it to me

Is it really just that one extra hour that's burning you out? I think there is more to this, I dowbt a single hour can crap you out that much..

Just saying :smile:
Original post by Jonathanツ
I mean it's only like 1 extra hour a week and you enjoy it?
Sounds pretty worth it to me

Is it really just that one extra hour that's burning you out? I think there is more to this, I dowbt a single hour can crap you out that much..

Just saying :smile:

Probably the journey home after work and then the final touches to lessons and the full back to back day the next two days after that collectively tire me out. I love the club to be honest
Original post by Wheresthecake
I stay an extra hour on a Wednesday to help with a sporting club as it’s not what I teach but really enjoy. However balancing that and my ect. I’m getting a bit tired. What do I do? Should I keep going as obvs I have my options open to new jobs and it shows I’m clearly taking initiative or do I just call it quits cos I’m so tired.

FWIW, I do think clubs can be knackering- it's another hour of being "on" and then you have to get everything done afterwards, so you end up leaving late, and it's just a hassle. I ran a club during my NQT, and in retrospect it was definitely the wrong decision. And when you start hitting weeks with parents evenings, or crunch times like reports, that extra hour (often more like 1hr15) starts to really matter!

If you're looking for a new job, I wouldn't bother with the club- you can still mention it on your supporting statement/applications even if you stop attending now. And most schools won't put that much weight on you helping with a club.

If you're thinking of staying in the school longer term, I'd suggest formally or informally dropping down to once a fortnight. Formally would be better, but if you can't do that, then start saying to the organiser "I can't help this week because I have xyz commitment after school". I'm assuming the club can run without your presence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending