The Student Room Group

why do people hate private schools/and there danger to society

This was written by someone who has been through the entire public school system, and explains perfectly why the majority of people in the uk have a dislike and distrust of the privately educated .

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/aug/08/public-schoolboys-boris-johnson-sad-little-boys-richard-beard
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fromthehorses
This article written by someone who has been through the entire public school system, and explains perfectly why so many " normal " people have a dislike and distrust of the privately educated .

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/aug/08/public-schoolboys-boris-johnson-sad-little-boys-richard-beard

So you think public school people are abnormal? That’s a pretty cruel point of view.

they probably never wanted or asked to be sent away or be treated like that.

plus most judges etc come from Oxbridge and thanks to free schemes like zero gravity, Oxbridge entrance to from eton has gone down drastically.

I am fighting for a new world, for more state school students into Oxbridge and it’s happening already.

the world the author is describing is the 1970s and it is thankfully vanishing
(edited 2 years ago)
Ive met a fair few private & grammar school educated students (and also some proper Toffs from Eton/Harrow etc.) mostly through university.

I certainly do not hate them, and dont view them as a danger to society although to ignore the benefits of going to a private & grammar school is undeniable. Ive become very good friends with people who have come from all different types of schools. I will say I do think they are blinded to parts of society and genuinely don't always grasp the full extent of social backgrounds you get at a comprehensive.

On the Eton getting less Oxbridge offers, this is true, instead they all jettison off to Ivy league schools instead so they still do de facto get the Oxbridge status graduate. Although I was speaking to an Etonian fresher recently and he did mention the hard life of Eton in 2021 were they had a record number of Durham firm offer holders because so many missed Oxbridge (worlds smallest violin).
the Grammar school system can turn out some strange alumni

https://i.inews.co.uk/content/uploads/2017/06/Corbin.jpg
I think people assume all private schools are the same. there are the top ones which have the stereotypes but so many private schools have kids from normal backgrounds whose parents spend all the money they have on education rather than materialism.
This article written by someone who has been through the entire public school system, and explains perfectly why so many " normal " people have a dislike and distrust of the privately educated .

The headline is a bit misleading because it refers to public schools / privately educated and then goes on to talk about their experience in a boarding school.
Reply 6
i would say you firstly need to be able to distinguish an article from a column or an opinion piece. this isn't the former and should not be labelled an article.

Original post by Zerforax
The headline is a bit misleading because it refers to public schools / privately educated and then goes on to talk about their experience in a boarding school.

i'm not from the UK (tho live here now). where i'm from a private school is a school that segregates teaching from the general public (most likely for religious reasons cuz won't want to teach about gay people etc; or the few that has excessive money and thinks private education is worth something). in the UK what does private education mean? :colondollar:
Original post by mnot
Ive met a fair few private & grammar school educated students (and also some proper Toffs from Eton/Harrow etc.) mostly through university.

I certainly do not hate them, and dont view them as a danger to society although to ignore the benefits of going to a private & grammar school is undeniable. Ive become very good friends with people who have come from all different types of schools. I will say I do think they are blinded to parts of society and genuinely don't always grasp the full extent of social backgrounds you get at a comprehensive.

On the Eton getting less Oxbridge offers, this is true, instead they all jettison off to Ivy league schools instead so they still do de facto get the Oxbridge status graduate. Although I was speaking to an Etonian fresher recently and he did mention the hard life of Eton in 2021 were they had a record number of Durham firm offer holders because so many missed Oxbridge (worlds smallest violin).

I am pleased to hear this, lol
Original post by nerual16
I think people assume all private schools are the same. there are the top ones which have the stereotypes but so many private schools have kids from normal backgrounds whose parents spend all the money they have on education rather than materialism.

You are correct. There are quite a few scholarship boys at eton from disadvantaged backgrounds. I am a single parent whose kids were on free school meals at their ( below average) primary school. They went on to get bursaries and scholarships at a private school. Out of a year group of 89 pupils, the elder one was one in four who got an Oxbridge offer and tge younger one was one of only two in the year to go to Oxbridge. So not all privately educated kids get into the very top unis, just the ones who do loads of research alongside their homework after school.
Original post by Zerforax

Translated it means I don’t like rich, privileged people. That is an over simplification of the private school system which is not an open sesame for success.
Original post by mnot

Grammar schools are state schools though and in some counties the selective system still operates. Sadly many private school students regard themselves as superior which causes issues.
Reply 11
Two thirds of Mr Johnson's cabinet came from private school (apparently was the position in 2019).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Met a bunch at Oxford (I only met one other Northerner in College, actually) and maybe because I'm a bit older and already pretty secure in myself etc but I certainly didn't feel threatened etc. Most of them were nice enough, a couple wanted to impose their self-importance, but I'm not somebody easily imposed upon so it was a nonstarter.

Ultimately there's more to people's outlooks and attitudes than their schooling, and I give everyone a fair crack of that particular whip. I'm still wary of some of the (particularly social) effects private ed for reasons similar to those voiced by mnot.
Reply 13
I don't think teaching is necessarily any better in private schools.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Oxford Mum
You are correct. There are quite a few scholarship boys at eton from disadvantaged backgrounds. I am a single parent whose kids were on free school meals at their ( below average) primary school. They went on to get bursaries and scholarships at a private school. Out of a year group of 89 pupils, the elder one was one in four who got an Oxbridge offer and tge younger one was one of only two in the year to go to Oxbridge. So not all privately educated kids get into the very top unis, just the ones who do loads of research alongside their homework after school.

Your sons were obviously bright and motivated and were lucky that they had you to support them. Out of interest, do you think that they would still have got into Oxbridge had they gone to a state secondary?

They may have done as well academically in a state school as they were so motivated. I just wondered.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Cote1

Not necessarily, but much, much smaller class sizes, better resourcing and so on generally make things easier.
Reply 16
Original post by Cote1

Don't tell my mother I said this. She is a private school teacher.:smile:
People always hate those in better positions

Its the reason everyone loved the underdog until they have established long term success
Original post by Cote1
Your sons were obviously bright and motivated and were lucky that they had you to support them. Out of interest, do you think that they would still have got in to Oxbridge had they gone to a state secondary?

They may have done as well academically in a state school as they were so motivated. I just wondered.

We will never know. The younger one is the most frighteningly driven person I have met. Even though he just scraped through the bmat and only just made his offer, he put his head down and came 7th in his year. After two years of perseverance he is now getting two articles published and is at present doing an internship in a lab. The eldest is also very determined and, unhappy at his job, he retrained to become a ship broker, taking professional exams and networking every day for a couple of years. He is off to an interview in Holland this week. It is this kind of hardworking attitude that gets you far in life wherever you go.

although not ambitious myself, I used to take them to local mansions and say, if you work hard, you may well end up living in a house like this. It is this dream of success that spurs them on every day. I encourage the students on the Oxford thread in the same way, because I want them to succeed just as much as I want my kids to

i think there is confusion. the article seems to be quoting someone who has been through private education some 50 years ago.

Original post by Oxford Mum

they probably never wanted or asked to be sent away or be treated like that.
plus most judges etc come from Oxbridge

the world the author is describing is the 1970s and it is thankfully vanishing

oky. just about 50 years ago...

and the artice points out the same point Oxford mum does as well. kids dont want to be there (homesick) and dont want to be treated cruelly. my parents have joked about getting hit in the hand by a ruller. some habe indicated worse actions against them, maybe even militay style requirements and daily routines. things that we question today because of our greater knowledge about abuse and its lasting effects.

there may be other reasons too. I went to private scho and there is an image of wealth and privilege that others want (despite I never had it) but dont get. so jealousy can be involved in why a person may dislike private schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending