The Student Room Group

Favourite quote from literature.

What’s one quote you have read that has changed the way you see the world, inspired you or has just made you laugh?
“There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for."

- it might be from Lord of the rings but nonetheless I find it is still a really important quote for people to hear right now.
personal, I live by this from 'Little women'
“I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”
Reply 3
Last lines of Paradise Lost, particularly the final two.

20211108_115415.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Atticus said to Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird that you never know someone until you stand in their shoes and walk around in them (or words to that effect).
Original post by Cat.killeen
“There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for."

- it might be from Lord of the rings but nonetheless I find it is still a really important quote for people to hear right now.

A simple, but as you said an important quote. By the way my favorite quote can be found here.
"That was always the dream, wasn’t it? ‘I wish I’d known then what I know now’? But when you got older you found out that you now wasn’t you then. You then was a twerp. You then was what you had to be to start out on the rocky road of becoming you now, and one of the rocky patches on that road was being a twerp" Night Watch, Terry Pratchett
(edited 2 years ago)
“Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.”

Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita
I adore this author and very often write various articles about him at the university. The service https://assignmentbro.com/us/university-assignment-help helps me a lot in this. Which of Nabokov's works are your favorites?
(edited 2 years ago)
"I see Barsad, and Cly, Defarge, The Vengeance, the Juryman, the Judge, long ranks of the new oppressors who have risen on the destruction of the old, perishing by this retributive instrument, before it shall cease out of its present use. I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss, and, in their struggles to be truly free, in their triumphs and defeats, through long years to come, I see the evil of this time and of the previous time of which this is the natural birth, gradually making expiation for itself and wearing out.

I see the lives for which I lay down my life, peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy, in that England which I shall see no more. I see Her with a child upon her bosom, who bears my name. I see her father, aged and bent, but otherwise restored, and faithful to all men in his healing office, and at peace. I see the good old man, so long their friend, in ten years' time enriching them with all he has, and passing tranquilly to his reward.

I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts, and in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence. I see her, an old woman, weeping for me on the anniversary of this day. I see her and her husband, their course done, lying side by side in their last earthly bed, and I know that each was not more honoured and held sacred in the other's soul than I was in the souls of both.

I see that child who lay upon her bosom and who bore my name, a man winning his way up in that path of life which once was mine. I see him winning it so well, that my name is made illustrious there by the light of his. I see the blots I threw upon it, faded away. I see him, fore-most of just judges and honoured men, bringing a boy of my name, with a forehead that I know and golden hair, to this place—then fair to look upon, with not a trace of this day's disfigurement—and I hear him tell the child my story, with a tender and a faltering voice.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."
'think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.'

Great expectations by Charles Dickens
Original post by Preece1233
What’s one quote you have read that has changed the way you see the world, inspired you or has just made you laugh?

heavy is the head that wears the crown - stormzy.
“We all commit our crimes. The thing is to not lie about them to try to understand what you have done, why you have done it. That way, you can begin to forgive yourself. That's very important. If you don't forgive yourself you'll never be able to forgive anybody else and you'll go on committing the same crimes forever.”

Another Country by James Baldwin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending