The Student Room Group

i accepted student loan payments after dropping out, what should i do

i started a course in 2004 and left in 2005, i believe the payments went on until the following Sept or the January after. i don't really remember as it was so long ago. This error in admin (and judgement) has stopped me from returning to university since. has anyone any ideas what my best course of action may be? i have felt very regretful for a very long time and i would love to study again
Contact SFE directly and discuss it with them. Ultimately it is your responsibility to notify them of any changes in your study situation though, so I don't know how accommodating they will be.

Most likely you will need to pay it back (plus interest since 2004/5 probably...). You may be able to negotiate a repayment plan with them.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Contact SFE directly and discuss it with them. Ultimately it is your responsibility to notify them of any changes in your study situation though, so I don't know how accommodating they will be.

Most likely you will need to pay it back (plus interest since 2004/5 probably...). You may be able to negotiate a repayment plan with them.

do you think i have committed fraud and could be prosecuted? eeeek
Original post by RS881510
do you think i have committed fraud and could be prosecuted? eeeek

I mean, I'm pretty sure you have committed fraud technically speaking, whether you would be prosecuted probably depends on if you pay them back or not...I mean in usual situations if this had just happened e.g. this year it would not be an issue as you'd just need to contact them and make the arrangements. As it's a historical situation and you were aware of it being incorrect, that changes things a little...

You might want to speak with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau if you are concerned.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending