The Student Room Group

Mathematics EPQ ideas

Hi everyone,
I am a A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics student in my first year of A Level (Year 12). I want to keep doing mathematics at a university level and get a PhD in mathematics, eventually becoming a professor/mathematician.
I wanted to do an EPQ on mathematics because I simply am not interested in anything else but I really want to do one.
My original idea was to write about 5 different mathematicians (1000 words each) that influenced mathematics greatly, but since we are not allowed to talk about topics we learn at school in our EPQs, I had to dismiss that idea. My teacher then told me that I should do one maths-/physics related, and she told me that an EPQ on black holes might be a good idea. However, I am still unsure in case that there are possible EPQ ideas. I would be very grateful if anyone could help/guide me towards the right direction (keeping in mind that the topic cannot be similar to a topic that is taught at school)?
P.S. my mathematics board is Edexcel.
Original post by Shenz275
Hi everyone,
I am a A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics student in my first year of A Level (Year 12). I want to keep doing mathematics at a university level and get a PhD in mathematics, eventually becoming a professor/mathematician.
I wanted to do an EPQ on mathematics because I simply am not interested in anything else but I really want to do one.
My original idea was to write about 5 different mathematicians (1000 words each) that influenced mathematics greatly, but since we are not allowed to talk about topics we learn at school in our EPQs, I had to dismiss that idea. My teacher then told me that I should do one maths-/physics related, and she told me that an EPQ on black holes might be a good idea. However, I am still unsure in case that there are possible EPQ ideas. I would be very grateful if anyone could help/guide me towards the right direction (keeping in mind that the topic cannot be similar to a topic that is taught at school)?
P.S. my mathematics board is Edexcel.

my friend tried to do a maths epq and ended up dropping it because it was so hard. The only tip I could really give would be to do it on something a bit less pure mathsy. The EPQ should be answering a question that you couldn't find on the internet and the issue with maths is it's not subjective in the way other topics are. I would suggest choosing a title that has some level of comparison or evaluation. If you were able to do the title about the 5 mathematicians a possible title could be 'which of these mathematicians had the greatest influence on our current understanding of mathematics?'. But I get that might crossover with your a levels too much. The black holes idea does seem like a good suggestion and you could compare different theories surrounding black holes (idk if there are any cause I don't do physics!)
Reply 2
Original post by becca_sneyd
my friend tried to do a maths epq and ended up dropping it because it was so hard. The only tip I could really give would be to do it on something a bit less pure mathsy. The EPQ should be answering a question that you couldn't find on the internet and the issue with maths is it's not subjective in the way other topics are. I would suggest choosing a title that has some level of comparison or evaluation. If you were able to do the title about the 5 mathematicians a possible title could be 'which of these mathematicians had the greatest influence on our current understanding of mathematics?'. But I get that might crossover with your a levels too much. The black holes idea does seem like a good suggestion and you could compare different theories surrounding black holes (idk if there are any cause I don't do physics!)

Ok, Thank you :smile:
Don't listen to becca.
If you find epq mathematics hard then listen to becca.
Everyone is different. Hence, we all have our strengths and weaknesses.
Original post by Lacrimosa1
Don't listen to becca.
If you find epq mathematics hard then listen to becca.
Everyone is different. Hence, we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

i didn't do an epq in maths lol, i was just giving my advice off an epq generally and my multiple friends experiences of trying to do a maths epq
Since when was "famous mathematicians" a topic in maths or further maths? Surely you could write an epq on your original idea without it being based on what is taught in class.
Original post by becca_sneyd
i didn't do an epq in maths lol, i was just giving my advice off an epq generally and my multiple friends experiences of trying to do a maths epq

Lol

Quick Reply

Latest