The Student Room Group

tutoring, teaching

what are the main things you learn in english in primary and secondary school?
please don't copy from the UK national curriculum coz that is just full of jargon that no one understands.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by dejwkrew
please don't copy from the UK national curriculum coz that is just full of jargon that no one understands.

From what I remember, in primary school we mainly did grammar and comprehension (i.e reading a short passage and answering questions about it) and spelling. In secondary school you learn about descriptive and creative writing, how to write essays, and each year you go over a different Shakespeare book. I hope this helps. :smile:

hello :smile:

adding on to what the user above me said, in secondary you also learn about structures of non fiction texts (e.g. speeches, articles, blogs, reviews) and writing in that style. you also learn about different literary techniques (e.g. personification, metaphors), how to recognise them and how to use them effectively.
how to write essays
how to write up newspaper articles
what a good book is
how to do a book report
ways in which to design a mini colourful leaflet
methods in which to structure a speech
techniques for exam writing
Reply 4
Original post by sciencelover37
From what I remember, in primary school we mainly did grammar and comprehension (i.e reading a short passage and answering questions about it) and spelling. In secondary school you learn about descriptive and creative writing, how to write essays, and each year you go over a different Shakespeare book. I hope this helps. :smile:

Thank u 😁😁
Reply 5
Original post by tinyperson
how to write essays
what a good book is
how to do a book report

Thank you 😁😁
Reply 6
Original post by tinyperson
how to write essays
what a good book is
how to do a book report

Original post by uglyplushy
hello :smile:

adding on to what the user above me said, in secondary you also learn about structures of non fiction texts (e.g. speeches, articles, blogs, reviews) and writing in that style. you also learn about different literary techniques (e.g. personification, metaphors), how to recognise them and how to use them effectively.

Thank u 😁😁
Thank u 😁😁

np
Thank u 😁😁

No worries :smile:
Thank u 😁😁

no problem!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest