The Student Room Group

Becoming a teacher with a nursing degree? :/

I am in my third year of mental health nursing (BSc) and this is my first degree. I have really struggled at most of my placements but have had one or two good ones. I thought that maybe second year I just found hard because I missed placements in first year and online learning just isn't for me but moving forward into my third year I'm realising nursing just isn't the right career path for me. I love providing care for people and being a part of their 'journey' but my own mental health has deteriorated and it's just not for me. I think when I applied for my degree, I felt pressure to apply for a university course and mistook my passion for mental health as wanting to become a mental health nurse. I feel like dropping out isn't an option because it would be such a waste of money, so my idea is to graduate and then at least I have a degree under my belt. Since secondary school, teaching is something that has had my attention but for some reason I never pursued it and now I'm feeling like it may be something I would like to do and I haven't made the decision between primary and secondary. I would ideally like to teach humanities (if I worked at a secondary school) but I don't think my degree is relevant enough for a school to accept me and I'm not sure I'll get funding for a second degree. On top of all of this I won't complete my degree until November and feel like I will miss opportunities to start a new course or job in September. Does anyone know of any options for me as to how I could get experience working at a school or completing my PDGE with a MH nursing degree without having to undertake another degree? I hope this makes sense !:s-smilie:
I’m really sorry that you’re thinking of dropping out; it’s not a waste of money!
I think that it would be difficult for you to become a secondary school teacher because nursing is such a specific degree and it isn’t an academic degree such as, for example, biology or English. Maybe you could become a school nurse? That way you’re working within a school and you’re also nursing with a fairly light workload. My school nurse in high school was amazing and we formed a really special bond; she watched me grow into who I am today
Reply 2
Original post by Helianthuss
I’m really sorry that you’re thinking of dropping out; it’s not a waste of money!
I think that it would be difficult for you to become a secondary school teacher because nursing is such a specific degree and it isn’t an academic degree such as, for example, biology or English. Maybe you could become a school nurse? That way you’re working within a school and you’re also nursing with a fairly light workload. My school nurse in high school was amazing and we formed a really special bond; she watched me grow into who I am today

Hey, thank you for your reply! That's what I'm thinking too. I'm thinking of working towards a PGDE or PGCE (I'm undecided) for primary and perhaps in a few years studying an academic degree so I have it just in case I did later in life decide to get a way into secondary teaching! I did like the idea of a school nurse but not sure if I'd have to become a general/adult/childrens nurse as opposed to a mental health nurse! Something that's worth looking into I suppose!
Original post by casey2312
I am in my third year of mental health nursing (BSc) and this is my first degree. I have really struggled at most of my placements but have had one or two good ones. I thought that maybe second year I just found hard because I missed placements in first year and online learning just isn't for me but moving forward into my third year I'm realising nursing just isn't the right career path for me. I love providing care for people and being a part of their 'journey' but my own mental health has deteriorated and it's just not for me. I think when I applied for my degree, I felt pressure to apply for a university course and mistook my passion for mental health as wanting to become a mental health nurse. I feel like dropping out isn't an option because it would be such a waste of money, so my idea is to graduate and then at least I have a degree under my belt. Since secondary school, teaching is something that has had my attention but for some reason I never pursued it and now I'm feeling like it may be something I would like to do and I haven't made the decision between primary and secondary. I would ideally like to teach humanities (if I worked at a secondary school) but I don't think my degree is relevant enough for a school to accept me and I'm not sure I'll get funding for a second degree. On top of all of this I won't complete my degree until November and feel like I will miss opportunities to start a new course or job in September. Does anyone know of any options for me as to how I could get experience working at a school or completing my PDGE with a MH nursing degree without having to undertake another degree? I hope this makes sense !:s-smilie:

You wouldn't be able to get onto a humanities PGCE (usually they are more specific, history, geography or RE) with a healthcare degree. You'd definitely struggle to find employment too.

You might get onto a primary PGCE- but again it might be difficult to get employment.

I wonder if a subject specific masters before the PGCE might be a better route?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
You wouldn't be able to get onto a humanities PGCE (usually they are more specific, history, geography or RE) with a healthcare degree. You'd definitely struggle to find employment too.

You might get onto a primary PGCE- but again it might be difficult to get employment.

I think the best bet would be maybe just finish the MH nursing degree as they’re in third year and BEFORE deciding to do any further education, volunteer in a school to get work experience!
Definitely finish your degree first.

You might be able to teach subjects like Health and Social Care. I know when i was in college, my HSC teachers had related backgrounds such as nursing, childcare etc
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark

I need to look more closely into what masters I can get into that will be relevant - I've been looking at Open University and ideally would like to get a bachelors "Open Degree". Unfortunately I do feel like this degree is a big mistake, but one I can't afford to quit now and start again. I guess I'll see where I end up! Thanks for the advice.
Reply 7
Hi Casey,

I’m in a similar situation to you right now, I’m having a really hard time particularly with placements and am thinking of quitting in my third year.

I know how tough it can be working in acute MH wards on placement and you did mention you have a passion for mental health, I wondered if you have considered on graduation applying for a role with an IAPT service? With a MH nursing qualification you can apply through them to become a psychological well-being practitioner. You would be paid to work with the service and part time at uni (which they would pay for) and will train you in low intensity CBT for conditions such as anxiety and depression. Again I’m not sure it’s of interest but it is a step into working in a therapy based role.

Take care of yourself and I hope you find your way.
Have you considered something within pastoral care if you are wanting to work within a school?
Reply 9
As a teacher, I can say you also wouldn’t be accepted onto a PGCE as they want the subject you teach to have been at least 50% of your undergrad degree. However you would be a good candidate for other roles in schools such as pastoral and wellbeing roles, counselor for CAHMS, Ed psych or something similar. I would also check out the possibility of working in alternative schools like PRUs for pupils who have been excluded from mainstream education due to extreme behavioral issues as well as SEN schools for pupils with autism. There are many opportunities outside of the usual classroom teaching positions. Good luck!
Original post by Helianthuss
I think the best bet would be maybe just finish the MH nursing degree as they’re in third year and BEFORE deciding to do any further education, volunteer in a school to get work experience!

To some extent I disagree, because doing the third year of the MH degree just racks up additional debt. I think they need to make a decision about teaching sooner, and then come up with a plan to make that achievable.
Original post by casey2312
I need to look more closely into what masters I can get into that will be relevant - I've been looking at Open University and ideally would like to get a bachelors "Open Degree". Unfortunately I do feel like this degree is a big mistake, but one I can't afford to quit now and start again. I guess I'll see where I end up! Thanks for the advice.

Whilst you may not be able to start again straight away, racking up more debt because you're not sure what else to do isn't a great option either. If you quit now, you might still be able to get two years of a subsequent degree funded.
Hi @casey2312,
I would suggest that you register for a teaching adviser on the Get into Teaching website. It is a free service and our advisers, who are all experienced teachers, will be able to have a chat with you and help you navigate your potential options and if you were to decide to apply, they would support you throughout the whole process.

Laure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending