The Student Room Group

please help lol

i dropped triple science (im in year 10, chose the subject bc my parent made me pick it) and i dont understand a thing about chemistry, despite revising and searching it up. it just doesnt make any sense. can someone please explain for dummies what an ion is because thats what im rlly struggling on, ill be so grateful<3

Scroll to see replies

An ion is an atom with a charge? I'm also in year 10 so I know this probably isn't the most comprehensive answer.
Original post by xoa
i dropped triple science (im in year 10, chose the subject bc my parent made me pick it) and i dont understand a thing about chemistry, despite revising and searching it up. it just doesnt make any sense. can someone please explain for dummies what an ion is because thats what im rlly struggling on, ill be so grateful<3

Wait, why do you need to revise if you dropped the class?
Reply 3
Original post by Kathrine1
Wait, why do you need to revise if you dropped the class?

because i'm still doing combined science
Original post by xoa
because i'm still doing combined science

Ah ok, which exam board? I´m doing CIE igcse coordinated sciences this year.
hi! I'm a year 11 so I can help as I am doing triple.
an ion is basically an atom with a charge. usually, atoms are stable (which is why they don't react).
some atoms, such as hydrogen, are unstable. hydrogen needs 2 electrons on the outermost shell to be stable; however, it only has one. that is why you would consider a single hydrogen atom as an ION.

you may have seen hydrogen written as H2. this is because hydrogen atoms only have one electron on the outer shell. if there are two hydrogen atoms, they can join covalently, meaning that they would now have 2 electrons each, so they are now stable. so now, it is NOT an ion.

I hope this helped somehow. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kathrine1
Ah ok, which exam board? I´m doing CIE igcse coordinated sciences this year.

im not exactly sure, i think i remember something abt AQA or Edexcel tho
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by xoa

So an atom has the same number of electrons and protons. E.g an oxygen atom has 8 electrons and 8 protons. If the atom gains or looses an electron (oxygen will gain electrons when it reacts because it is a non-metal), it will become charged, and is called an ion. So when oxygen gains 2 electrons, it has 10 electrons but still has 8 protons. Therefore, there atom will have an overall charge of -2, and it will be a negative ion.

PS, I'm applying for a chem degree, so feel free to pm me with any other questions :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
The issue is that by doing triple science your Chemistry grade will not influence your other science grades
If you do combined and mess up Chemistry, you will bring down the grades

Have you gone to your teacher to ask for some help?
I can see you've already got some help on ions so just suggesting (I'd assume it's not too late to go back into Triple Science however please don't go back if you don't want to) - All my teachers did combined (and one of them even got into university to do medicine) and teach me triple so it's obviously not something that's needed!
Reply 9
Original post by xoa

my revision guides say AQA so its probably that lol
Reply 10
thank you so much for the help i think i understand now:smile::smile:
Original post by xoa
thank you so much for the help i think i understand now:smile::smile:

as I said, feel free to pm me with any questions :smile:
Reply 12
Long answer nice and short. An ion is an atom with a charge. Could be a positive or negative charge depending if they gained an electron(s) or lost an electron(s)
Gaining electrons means negative charge as electrons are negative and vice versa ofc.

Original post by xoa

Also I suggest getting a tutor or watching yt vids if you're confused
You shouldn't be stuck on the definition of an ion at this point... gl girl
Reply 13
Original post by AmIReallyHere
The issue is that by doing triple science your Chemistry grade will not influence your other science grades
If you do combined and mess up Chemistry, you will bring down the grades

Have you gone to your teacher to ask for some help?
I can see you've already got some help on ions so just suggesting (I'd assume it's not too late to go back into Triple Science however please don't go back if you don't want to) - All my teachers did combined (and one of them even got into university to do medicine) and teach me triple so it's obviously not something that's needed!

im aware that each science grade is separate in triple science, but the problem with me is that im absolutely hopeless at science. im talking around 18% on those tests each term for chem and physics, and biology is ok but im only passing on scores by a smidge. when i leave secondary id like to be a nurse or work in a nursery/primary school. ive heard you dont need triple science to be a nurse, but its more helpful for later on. idk but im very glad i dropped triple, it was waaay too stressful.:smile:
Original post by Slx.24
Long answer nice and short. An ion is an atom with a charge. Could be a positive or negative charge depending if they gained an electron(s) or lost an electron(s)
Gaining electrons means negative charge as electrons are negative and vice versa ofc.

Also I suggest getting a tutor or watching yt vids if you're confused
You shouldn't be stuck on the definition of an ion at this point... gl girl

There´s the freesciencelessons man´s youtube videos? Maybe OP already watches his videos, but I just find them very helpful. :smile:
Try Tyler Dewitt on YouTube. Absolute legend for some topics :smile:
Original post by xoa
im aware that each science grade is separate in triple science, but the problem with me is that im absolutely hopeless at science. im talking around 18% on those tests each term for chem and physics, and biology is ok but im only passing on scores by a smidge. when i leave secondary id like to be a nurse or work in a nursery/primary school. ive heard you dont need triple science to be a nurse, but its more helpful for later on. idk but im very glad i dropped triple, it was waaay too stressful.:smile:

oh I completely understand D:
Are you at least going back to your teacher about the tests and seeing what you could improve on? Is it exam technique as well as lack of content knowledge?
Reply 17
Original post by harlz_chalamet
hi! I'm a year 11 so I can help as I am doing triple.
an ion is basically an atom with a charge. usually, atoms are stable (which is why they don't react).
some atoms, such as hydrogen, are unstable. hydrogen needs 2 electrons on the outermost shell to be stable; however, it only has one. that is why you would consider a single hydrogen atom as an ION.

you may have seen hydrogen written as H2. this is because hydrogen atoms only have one electron on the outer shell. if there are two hydrogen atoms, they can join covalently, meaning that they would now have 2 electrons each, so they are now stable. so now, it is NOT an ion.

I hope this helped somehow. :smile:

You've made a few errors here:

"usually, atoms are stable (which is why they don't react)"is misleading. By stable do you mean they usually have the same number of protons and electrons? Also reactivity depends on how full the electron shell is and how far the electrons in that outer shell are from the nucleus. This influences how easy it is to gain or lose an electron. Atoms do react! Unless they're noble gases of course.

""hydrogen needs 2 electrons on the outermost shell to be stable; however, it only has one. that is why you would consider a single hydrogen atom as an ION."

Incorrect. A hydrogen atom has one proton and one electron. It does not have a charge and so is not an ion. It only becomes an ion when it loses that electron and becomes H+, which could also be described as a proton.

Hopefully this is helpful and not patronising. I'm a Chemistry teacher so couldn't resist correcting.
Original post by L-K
You've made a few errors here:

"usually, atoms are stable (which is why they don't react)"is misleading. By stable do you mean they usually have the same number of protons and electrons? Also reactivity depends on how full the electron shell is and how far the electrons in that outer shell are from the nucleus. This influences how easy it is to gain or lose an electron. Atoms do react! Unless they're noble gases of course.

""hydrogen needs 2 electrons on the outermost shell to be stable; however, it only has one. that is why you would consider a single hydrogen atom as an ION."

Incorrect. A hydrogen atom has one proton and one electron. It does not have a charge and so is not an ion. It only becomes an ion when it loses that electron and becomes H+, which could also be described as a proton.

Hopefully this is helpful and not patronising. I'm a Chemistry teacher so couldn't resist correcting.

it's not patronising don't worry! this is actually extremely helpful as i am doing my mocks next month, so thankyou for correcting me!
- when i meant 'stable' i meant has the same number of electrons as protons (that's how i remember it in my head)

:smile:
Original post by xoa

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zp266yc

Try here

Quick Reply

Latest