The Student Room Group

The Senior Maths Challenge 2021

I know we are not meant to talk about the content of the maths challenge until 08:00 on Friday the 12th (BST) so I won’t but I just wanted to know how everyone found it? Also how many questions did you answer? I only answered 16 and I am not very confident in my answers.

Scroll to see replies

I thought it wasn’t too bad.
I’m expecting 21/25 which I think is pretty good.
Any ideas when the official solutions on the UKMT website will be available?
it was half hard and half medium. I only answered 12 out of the 25 due to knowing how to answer them
Reply 5
Original post by superharrydude09
Any ideas when the official solutions on the UKMT website will be available?

Theyre generally available the following morning. Though it was delayed a bit last year.
Do you know how long it will take to get our results? I’m dying to know if I have got Bronze or not, I’m really hoping I have but I’m not so sure
Reply 7
Original post by sciencelover37
Do you know how long it will take to get our results? I’m dying to know if I have got Bronze or not, I’m really hoping I have but I’m not so sure

~2 weeks. BMO1 is at the start of Dec so before then.
Any guesses at BMO thresholds?
It was decent. I had guessed the last one but I was able to eliminate 2 of the options
Another question: are you all in Year 12 or 13, and do you take Further Maths?
Another question: are you all in Year 12 or 13, and do you take Further Maths?

Year 13, and no FM
I’m Year 12, no Further Maths.
Year 12, with Further Maths, although as far as the maths challenge is concerned, I don’t think further maths will be of any use beyond giving you extra experience using mathematical techniques.
I think 107 - I got the dice rolling and magnet ones wrong because I hate permutation questions. Do you ppl think the BMO1 grade boundary will be lower than last year bcs it wasn't online so less people can cheat?
Reply 15
Original post by Eldub3142
I think 107 - I got the dice rolling and magnet ones wrong because I hate permutation questions. Do you ppl think the BMO1 grade boundary will be lower than last year bcs it wasn't online so less people can cheat?

I know you won't be happy to hear this but for some, it was online and there was cheating
Original post by zacaboy
I know you won't be happy to hear this but for some, it was online and there was cheating

That is quite annoying. was it mostly online or just for a few? and did you personally find the test easier/harder than last years? I am in year 12 so this was the first one I sat
Reply 17
Original post by Eldub3142
That is quite annoying. was it mostly online or just for a few? and did you personally find the test easier/harder than last years? I am in year 12 so this was the first one I sat

I am also in year 12 but I did sit the previous SMC but to my displeasure didn't do as well as I would have liked but this year I feel happy with how I believe I have done. however, looking back on the paper now I do believe that last year's paper was easier than this year's. i don't exactly know. how many sat. online but my school is pretty big and sat it online.
I think I got about 52
I think I got about 52

That is probably a bronze so gj. If you want look at this link bronze is usually around 50 but obviously it spiked last year because everyone did it online.
https://mathsaurus.com/senior-maths-challenge-grade-boundaries/

Quick Reply

Latest