The Student Room Group

Entry requirements with "x subject recommended" (scotland)

Hello everyone, my name is Colin and i moved from Italy to scotland in s5. Having moved in s5, i found myself crashing nearly every single higher course, as i'd never done a nat5 and the teaching system is completely different. This PLUS covid, lead me to some results that im not entirely happy about
Im thinking of applying to computer science/game dev courses at unis around scotland but i have some questions about entry requirements
Year 1 entry: AAAA/AAABB
(Maths B, Computing Science recommended)
As an example, during s5 and s6 i got a total of 7 highers AAAABCD (and three advanced highers at AAB). I got an A in Maths but got a C in computing.. How harsh are universities when the entry requirement says "computing science recommended"? Can i realistically apply to this uni? Would a computer science course specifically look down on me because i have a C in higher computing?
Thank you in advanced, any help or advice is really appreciated!
Hiya mate - I'm a Scottish student. My opinion on this would be it wouldn't matter that much, especially if your just going for first year entry due to the fact your highers are pretty good. Overall, it would depend on what uni thought as some are more competitive than others.. especially this year it will be harder to get an offer due to increased competition. Like I said, nothing to worry about you'd definitely get at least and I mean AT LEAST 1 offer with those grades. Write up a strong personal statement and have good extra curricular relating to comp sci n you'll be alright.

Best of Luck Bud
Reply 2
Thank you very much for the info, I appreciate it a lot. As for unis, that entry requirement example I put was for Strathclyde and the others I am interested in are Glasgow, Edinburgh, Napier. I'd also have an other question, specifically for Edinburgh uni, as In the entry requirements it has AAAA(example) but says "achievement by end of s5 preferred".
As I got AAACD in s5 and AB (plus advanced highers) in s6, can I realistically apply to that course? Do they put "by
end of s5 preferred" to avoid people re-sitting subjects to get a better grade in s6? As I didn't re-sit any of them.
Thank you again in advanced for your time!
Hey @ColinNardo! I can see from your chat that you were looking at our entry requirements so thought I'd pop in :smile:
I'd say you should be considered for a place with the grades you have. It sounds like from your highers and advanced highers you have a really strong group of grades there so I'd encourage you to apply. You did sit Computer Science and achieved a C too so you have actually sat the 'recommended' subject (and the department haven't specified they'd be looking for a particular grade there).

For your note about Edinburgh Uni- contact their Student Recruitment team to clarify. They have a contact form on their webpage here: https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/contacts

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions about our entry requirements at Strathclyde I'm more than happy to help :biggrin:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @ColinNardo! I can see from your chat that you were looking at our entry requirements so thought I'd pop in :smile:
I'd say you should be considered for a place with the grades you have. It sounds like from your highers and advanced highers you have a really strong group of grades there so I'd encourage you to apply. You did sit Computer Science and achieved a C too so you have actually sat the 'recommended' subject (and the department haven't specified they'd be looking for a particular grade there).

For your note about Edinburgh Uni- contact their Student Recruitment team to clarify. They have a contact form on their webpage here: https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/contacts

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions about our entry requirements at Strathclyde I'm more than happy to help :biggrin:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Thank you so much for the information,
I will definitely send a message for my future questions!
Original post by ColinNardo
Hello everyone, my name is Colin and i moved from Italy to scotland in s5. Having moved in s5, i found myself crashing nearly every single higher course, as i'd never done a nat5 and the teaching system is completely different. This PLUS covid, lead me to some results that im not entirely happy about
Im thinking of applying to computer science/game dev courses at unis around scotland but i have some questions about entry requirements
Year 1 entry: AAAA/AAABB
(Maths B, Computing Science recommended)
As an example, during s5 and s6 i got a total of 7 highers AAAABCD (and three advanced highers at AAB). I got an A in Maths but got a C in computing.. How harsh are universities when the entry requirement says "computing science recommended"? Can i realistically apply to this uni? Would a computer science course specifically look down on me because i have a C in higher computing?
Thank you in advanced, any help or advice is really appreciated!
hi, sorry to bother. I also moved from a different country to Scotland in s5, I'm wondering if nat5 is essential for applying uni? Or do I only need to have higher and AH grades? thanks a lot
Reply 6
Original post by wandizhang
hi, sorry to bother. I also moved from a different country to Scotland in s5, I'm wondering if nat5 is essential for applying uni? Or do I only need to have higher and AH grades? thanks a lot
So universities generally don’t care about nat 5s, they occasionally ask that people have passed their english and or maths, but in place of this they’ll probs just ask for you to prove you are proficient in English (if it isn’t your first language) otherwise they won’t be bothered at the lack of them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending