The Student Room Group

Talking to strangers

How do you deal with people who do not know what your country of origin is? It is annoying me a lot and I can't seem to give a good answer

Scroll to see replies

How about having a world map on your phone and just show them your country?
Reply 2
Original post by Bookworm524
How about having a world map on your phone and just show them your country?

That's a brilliant idea! I never thought of that
Original post by Anonymous
How do you deal with people who do not know what your country of origin is? It is annoying me a lot and I can't seem to give a good answer

What is the issue with asking you? It's a way of opening up a conversation - people can't even work out what county I come from!
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
What is the issue with asking you? It's a way of opening up a conversation - people can't even work out what county I come from!

It is! When they see I come from that country, they say "ohhh or I never heard of that country". NO sh*t, of course you don't know and then ghost me out of nowhere. Their prejudices of my country and not judging me as a person really infuriates me and I don't stand at people telling me they don't know. It's like saying, I never heard of the UK or the USA
It is! When they see I come from that country, they say "ohhh or I never heard of that country". NO sh*t, of course you don't know and then ghost me out of nowhere. Their prejudices of my country and not judging me as a person really infuriates me and I don't stand at people telling me they don't know. It's like saying, I never heard of the UK or the USA

Do you know all our counties? No, I don't suppose so.

Which country is it?
Reply 6
Do you know all our counties? No, I don't suppose so.

Which country is it?

I learnt them in Geography and I know most of them by heart even the ones people never heard of. I just see the flag and I know where someone is from
I learnt them in Geography and I know most of them by heart even the ones people never heard of. I just see the flag and I know where someone is from

Counties don't usually have flags ... counties are individual parts of the UK e.g Derbyshire
where are you from?
i deal with a similar issue, when people ask me where im from i tell them im from palestine and they go "oh do you mean israel":colonhash:
so i kinda get what youre going through
just give them a mini geography lesson thats what i do
Reply 9
Counties don't usually have flags ... counties are individual parts of the UK e.g Derbyshire

I thought it was a typo. I misinterpreted that. Brunei
Original post by Violet5567
where are you from?
i deal with a similar issue, when people ask me where im from i tell them im from palestine and they go "oh do you mean israel":colonhash:
so i kinda get what youre going through
just give them a mini geography lesson thats what i do

You are the first Palestinian I talked to. Nice to meet you, I come from Brunei and everyone online either reacts to it rudely or say like, "I don't know about that country." I tell them about the country and that is the end of the conversation. For me, it's a pointless question. I hate asking people where they come from because it leads me nowhere

Well I've heard of it ... tbf, the population is far fewer than some large cities in the UK.
Well I've heard of it ... tbf, the population is far fewer than some large cities in the UK.

FINALLY! Someone who knows my country. Thank you so much, it means a lot. I am serious

Are you from Ancient Assyria?

You're from Brunei!? You're the third person I've known from Brunei! :biggrin:
Original post by Callicious
You're from Brunei!? You're the third person I've known from Brunei! :biggrin:

3rd is always better than 2nd😎. I LOVE IT! HUHUHU, I meet so many rude people online and I tell them that Google is their bestfriend when it comes to where Brunei is
I never take these type of discussions seriously unless it involves yelling, multiple insults that are defamatory or aggressively sharing horrid conspiracy theories.
If any of these, the best thing for me to do is well steer clear irl. :cool:
When the only contact occurs online- I just add them to my mute, blocked or ignore lists.
Original post by londonmyst
I never take these type of discussions seriously unless it involves yelling, multiple insults that are defamatory or aggressively sharing horrid conspiracy theories.
If any of these, the best thing for me to do is well steer clear irl. :cool:
When the only contact occurs online- I just add them to my mute, blocked or ignore lists.

Or the absolutely absurd claims that my country doesn't exist or "Brunei belongs to Malaysia or are you a state of Malaysia🤦*♂️." I had met some of these type of people online and it's why I wanna steer clear of the convo as soon as possible. Other people would be like, "I NEVER HEARD OF YOUR COUNTRY BEFORE" and so I say the same sarcastically. People think I am rude but stereotyping my country and our people is unnecessary
FINALLY! Someone who knows my country. Thank you so much, it means a lot. I am serious

I know it too and can point it out on a map. Some people are just not very cultured, don't take offense. Just say it's a small country in Southeast asia, near malaysia or something
Original post by hungrysalamander
lol as a Taiwanese person it annoys me so much when someone says "oh so you're chinese" when I tell them that I'm from Taiwan. I know where Brunei is and what your flag looks like but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

I went to Taiwan and can't wait to go back🙃. I manage to survive with limited knowledge on the chinese language. I had a Chinese driver who couldn't see the signs at night and shouted to us (aunts and grandma who where there shooketh) the whole taxi ride. I'd say it was quite the experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending