The Student Room Group

History a level

Hi everyone I wa a just wondering how is history a level like if you have studied it or know a bit about it. The schools I’m applying too either offer aqa or edexcel history a level and I haven’t studied it in gcse but I believe I could catch up if I need to as I’m very organised and can manage work load efficiently. My old history teacher from school wasn’t a big fan of me I had 2 one of year 7 and one for year 8. When I went to the open evening my year 7 teacher was encouraging me and saying how I’m very intelligent and capable as I’m in his form. He said it’s very beneficial and you would do great in it whereas the other teacher was basically telling me to not do it and trying to put me off studying it because we were not on great terms I suppose from a few years back. I will still do it no matter what but what is the a level like and has anyone else been in my shoes where they didn’t study it at gcse but are did study it or are currently are at a level?
Original post by Hailey629
Hi everyone I wa a just wondering how is history a level like if you have studied it or know a bit about it. The schools I’m applying too either offer aqa or edexcel history a level and I haven’t studied it in gcse but I believe I could catch up if I need to as I’m very organised and can manage work load efficiently. My old history teacher from school wasn’t a big fan of me I had 2 one of year 7 and one for year 8. When I went to the open evening my year 7 teacher was encouraging me and saying how I’m very intelligent and capable as I’m in his form. He said it’s very beneficial and you would do great in it whereas the other teacher was basically telling me to not do it and trying to put me off studying it because we were not on great terms I suppose from a few years back. I will still do it no matter what but what is the a level like and has anyone else been in my shoes where they didn’t study it at gcse but are did study it or are currently are at a level?

Currently studying History AQA at A Level, and I studied Edexcel at GCSE.Try not to get swayed by teachers, however it is true that History is hard, it can be enjoyable but it depends on the content the school you are going to studies in History so I suggest you look into that before deciding, also history has coursework so you should consider that as well, as it is time consuming , good luck :smile:

i'd say it depends more on the content of the course you're studying (e.g. Nazi Germany, Pitt to Peel, Civil Rights) than anything else
Reply 3
Thank you everyone. I have spoken to a few history teachers and they all said I would be able to do it and told me what to expect and the coursework. I am actually happier that there is coursework as I enjoy writing essays and I’m quite good with timings when it comes to writing. I have a few other schools I’m going to look at but how would you say aqa history is as the main school I want to go to does aqa and the other schools all do edexcel.
Reply 4
If anyone has studied aqa or edexcel history at a level what was your experience like and if you don’t mind me asking what grade did you get and was you able to work part time as well during your sixth form studies?
Reply 5
Original post by Ilalala
Currently studying History AQA at A Level, and I studied Edexcel at GCSE.Try not to get swayed by teachers, however it is true that History is hard, it can be enjoyable but it depends on the content the school you are going to studies in History so I suggest you look into that before deciding, also history has coursework so you should consider that as well, as it is time consuming , good luck :smile:

How do you find studying aqa history at a level and any tips for getting ahead during the summer like reading or doing research?
Reply 6
If anyone has studied aqa or edexcel history at ia level what was your experience like and if you don’t mind me asking what grade did you get and was you able to work part time as well during your sixth form studies?

i'm in year 13 atm and predicted an A* for aqa history (russia 1917-53 and tudor england) and i really like it - it is a lot of content but if you're organised with notes, getting essays done etc. it's definitely manageable. i have a part time job and it doesn't really get in the way at all, just means i have to use my free periods a bit more productively if i have a lot of work set :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by libby100
i'm in year 13 atm and predicted an A* for aqa history (russia 1917-53 and tudor england) and i really like it - it is a lot of content but if you're organised with notes, getting essays done etc. it's definitely manageable. i have a part time job and it doesn't really get in the way at all, just means i have to use my free periods a bit more productively if i have a lot of work set :smile:

Thank you for all your help cause I’m a bit nervous as I haven’t taken it at gcse but I’m very hard working and organised and enjoy doing essays so I feel like once I get the hang of it maybe I be able to understand everything properly. Would you say the aqa exam board is a good exam board for a level history as the school I want to mainly get into offers aqa whereas others other edexcel. They seem like fairly good and did you do anything over your summer before year 12 to get ahead of the workload and content?
Reply 8
I am also considering taking the combination of history, sociology and psychology for a level my old history teacher said it’s a great combination and will allow Russel groups to accept me if I get the grades I want in them.
I did history AS level and it's very interesting but it is a lot of work and essays and I found it very hard to manage with my other essay based subjects (English Literature, Classical Civilisation and Music). So it all depends on personal preference and what other subjects you want to do. It was enjoyable though as the content is good
Reply 10
Original post by super_hannah
I did history AS level and it's very interesting but it is a lot of work and essays and I found it very hard to manage with my other essay based subjects (English Literature, Classical Civilisation and Music). So it all depends on personal preference and what other subjects you want to do. It was enjoyable though as the content is good

Hiya would you say with my combination it would go well together some say they have links in certain bits. I want to typically get A*A*A as I want to get into ucl and lse and want to have the best chance in getting in but what did you enjoy about history and would you say teachers helped you a lot?
Hiya would you say with my combination it would go well together some say they have links in certain bits. I want to typically get A*A*A as I want to get into ucl and lse and want to have the best chance in getting in but what did you enjoy about history and would you say teachers helped you a lot?

What other subjects are you thinking of doing? It does have links yes and is a helpful subject. Okay, well at least you have a goal, I would just bear in mind that A levels are a huge step up from GCSE and you have to be more independent and self-sufficient. I particularly liked the content and yes my teachers were helpful like I said, a lot of the studying and extra knowledge/research is down to you to do.

I THINK YOU WOULD SMASH HISTORY A LEVEL. Never listen to any teachers misguiding you and telling you not to do it! If you enjoy it and will be persistent then go for it!
Reply 13
What other subjects are you thinking of doing? It does have links yes and is a helpful subject. Okay, well at least you have a goal, I would just bear in mind that A levels are a huge step up from GCSE and you have to be more independent and self-sufficient. I particularly liked the content and yes my teachers were helpful like I said, a lot of the studying and extra knowledge/research is down to you to do.
. I want to do history, sociology and psychology together for a level. I’m quite independent and enjoy studying and finding information related to my subjects. I’m quite disciplined and can manage work load and essays quite well and I’m organised so I think I should be able to manage work load but I will also do some preparations over summer as I will be new to all 3 of my a levels as I haven’t studied any in gcses.
Reply 14
Original post by haley5haley
i think you would smash history a level. Never listen to any teachers misguiding you and telling you not to do it! If you enjoy it and will be persistent then go for it!

thank you so much ☺️
Reply 15

Hi would you have any tips on how to get ahead before starting to study a levels like maybe buying the textbooks ahead and reading some or like doing research on the topics that we will cover for my a levels?

Quick Reply

Latest