The Student Room Group

Smc 2021

Hi everyone!
hope everyone did well in the senior maths challenge and did as well as they could. since everyone has done it now I am just curious how everyone did and found it. if you want you can ask some questions about it too.

Scroll to see replies

Got 104/125. Definitely could’ve done better, dropped easy marks on the mechanics question and the inscribed triangle question, solved it in minutes after the exam. That last question was really hard tho, don’t know how people find the solution with the 20 mins they’d have left for it. Also dropped easy marks on the fridge combinatorics problem. Don’t know why, but my brain just doesn’t understand counting.
Reply 2
What do you think the Boundaries will be?
Can’t really say tbh. Need to know how the majority found the challenge compared to previous years.
Hope boundaries are lower so I can qualify for the Bmo, though I doubt I’ll be lucky enough.
Reply 5
Original post by superharrydude09
Got 104/125. Definitely could’ve done better, dropped easy marks on the mechanics question and the inscribed triangle question, solved it in minutes after the exam. That last question was really hard tho, don’t know how people find the solution with the 20 mins they’d have left for it. Also dropped easy marks on the fridge combinatorics problem. Don’t know why, but my brain just doesn’t understand counting.

how do you know that you got exactly this mark have you gone through answers or is mark scheme out, I answered 24 questions but don't know how many I got right
I know what answer I put for everything I answered, checked it against the UKMT solutions on their website, and added up my score. (20 correct, 1 incorrect, and 4 missed).
Reply 7
I know what answer I put for everything I answered, checked it against the UKMT solutions on their website, and added up my score. (20 correct, 1 incorrect, and 4 missed).

are the solutions out yet?
Yh, you can find the 2021 paper and solutions on the ukmt website. It will be in the past papers section.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yh, you can find the 2021 paper and solutions on the ukmt website. It will be in the past papers section.

Thx

I got minimum 100. Yh I'm annoyed i also messed up on the fridge one. I put 36. All of my errors were dumb mistake that I probably could've fixed if I didn't spend so long on the last question (which I still managed to get wrong)
i got 91 which would’ve got gold last time on the dot but do you think it was easier this year and boundaries will go up? this was my first time doing it
Can’t really say tbh. Need to know how the majority found the challenge compared to previous years.

did you find it easier or harder than last year? i haven’t done it before
This was my method for the last q
Original post by zacaboy
Hi everyone!
hope everyone did well in the senior maths challenge and did as well as they could. since everyone has done it now I am just curious how everyone did and found it. if you want you can ask some questions about it too.

If i got them all right, which is like roughly 92 marks, I think i could of scraped a gold, but i got like 4 wrong. So, indefintly, i got a silver. welp, it's my first time.
Original post by mgcgian047
If i got them all right, which is like roughly 92 marks, I think i could of scraped a gold, but i got like 4 wrong. So, indefintly, i got a silver. welp, it's my first time.

91 was a gold last year, do you think boundaries will go up?
Original post by aliyah.04x
91 was a gold last year, do you think boundaries will go up?

Yeah, it was online, so you know people cheated. Boundries will go up indefinitly
Original post by Shushmaths2
This was my method for the last q

I'm actually annoyed with myself seeing how easy it is
Original post by Itsmikeysfault
I'm actually annoyed with myself seeing how easy it is

All the questions are quite easy, it's the fact you can't see it, you just have to identify it. That's what I hate about challenges like this.
Original post by mgcgian047
All the questions are quite easy, it's the fact you can't see it, you just have to identify it. That's what I hate about challenges like this.

True. All of my mistakes were dumb ones. The maths challenge is still enjoyable though

Quick Reply

Latest