The Student Room Group

My nurse "abandoned" my smear, said it's because I'm a virgin

Scroll to see replies

Everybody saying that cervical cancer is only caused by HPV is completely wrong. You DO NOT need to have had sex to get cervical cancer!!!
OP - please persist and get your smear test done, go to a different doctor if you have to, and ignore the people who are telling you not to stress just because you're a virgin!
Reply 21
Thank you to everybody who has posted here, I've gone to Jo's Trust who are a cervical cancer charity (doing their awareness campaign brilliantly, I keep coming across them on twitter) and used their ask the expert feature so I'll see what they say there.

I am going to see the female doctor at the practice and tell her my concerns about the situation and about what the nurse said to me and how it upset me, see if I need to contact the practice manager regarding a complaint.

I'll let you know if Jo's Trust get back and what my doctor says, in case I'm not the only one who is having this problem!
Original post by Fermion.
Everybody saying that cervical cancer is only caused by HPV is completely wrong. You DO NOT need to have had sex to get cervical cancer!!!
OP - please persist and get your smear test done, go to a different doctor if you have to, and ignore the people who are telling you not to stress just because you're a virgin!

What they're saying is correct, all cervical cancer is caused by the HPV virus. But this isn't exclusively transmitted by penetrative sex. Skin-to-skin contact can also transmit the virus, which is why there's still a slight risk you can have HPV even when you're a virgin. Now if OP has not taken part in any sexual activity at all (e.g naked cuddling) then it's safe to assume her cervical cancer risk is nil.
People in this thread have naively disregarded the risk of a Pap smear itself. You do realize the speculum they insert into your vagina has been inside many other vaginas, possibly infected with HPV? Of course there are sterilization protocols but you are trusting that they have been followed correctly. Some research concluded that HPV infected cells can be found on instruments inserted into the vagina of women with HPV infection, and that if these instruments are not cleaned and sterilized properly, they will be a potential source of infection for subsequent patients.”False positives are also possible (more common in young women) and unnecessary procedures that follow from them have their own health risks.Bottom-line is that Pap smears are not a risk-free procedure. It's not a no-risk vs risk scenario, you need to weigh up both risks.
Original post by sidelines
People in this thread have naively disregarded the risk of a Pap smear itself. You do realize the speculum they insert into your vagina has been inside many other vaginas, possibly infected with HPV? Of course there are sterilization protocols but you are trusting that they have been followed correctly. Some research concluded that HPV infected cells can be found on instruments inserted into the vagina of women with HPV infection, and that if these instruments are not cleaned and sterilized properly, they will be a potential source of infection for subsequent patients.”False positives are also possible (more common in young women) and unnecessary procedures that follow from them have their own health risks.Bottom-line is that Pap smears are not a risk-free procedure. It's not a no-risk vs risk scenario, you need to weigh up both risks.

Erm, most speculums used for smears in the UK are now single use plastic ones, which are disposed of after being used on one patient.

What ****ing century do you live in? Do you really think medical equipment like that is reused?
Original post by Shan_non
That's ridiculous! A smear test is for cervical cancer, whether you're sexually active or not there's still a risk. I'd make a complaint and see another nurse, it's an important thing to have done.

99.9% of cervical cancer is related to HPV.

So its very relevant.

The only issue here is that you can catch HPV through sharing sex toys with other women so gay women are at risk just like straight

But if virgin proper...no risk. No need for smear.
Reply 27

Oh do bore off with your scare tactics. Both times I watched the nurse take the brand new speculum out of the plastic.

I have been back, I have had the screen performed, everything was fine.

According to Eve's Trust, the other big risk factors are smoking, poor diet and compromised immune system. I have the last two and a history of passive smoking, which I realise doesn't make the risk huge, but I'm glad that I can say its done for the next three years.

If anyone else is having this issue, the nurse did recommend if it persists to get a referral to gynaecology or the colposcopy clinic where they have much more sophisticated equipment
Reply 28
I told my (female) doctor that I was a virgin. I'm over 30 and a Christian so it's by choice as not married yet. ANYWAY! I was reluctant to see the nurse, due to the horror story i mention below. So I booked one with my nurse who used a child sized speculum on me and it was fine.(Another friend had a smear test with a nurse who didn't realise she was a virgin and it really hurt. When my friend told told the nurse after, she said that my friend should have told her. This is why i told my doctor first.)The risk is very low. So I have only had one. I don't think I need them as regularly as sexually active ladies.
Oh wow that sounds quite unprofessional. I’m sure there was a better way she could of put it. I was also a virgin when I had my first smear test and it was quite uncomfortable but she managed it.
The reason they ask what contraceptive your on if your on any is because oral ones will make your cervix look different, its just so she no’s what she or he is looking at.
I’m aware this post is from a year ago but just thought I’d comment.
Reply 30
You clearly haven't experienced what the OP has then mubzzz,

Smear tests are stressful times its **** when the nurse or doctor have to be *******s,
I've had two attempted ones that wouldn't work out but they kept trying and putting me through extreme pain for a while anyway before saying I should just come back after I've had sex even though I had a few times before that.

It's not the right attitude absolutely not so the OP had a right to be sad,
Besides this is a really old thread maybe have a look at the newer ones
I think if you want one you should be able to have one. I was told I had a 0.33% chance of getting HPV cervical cancer so I decided against it and would still rather poke my eyes out then get one. I think it should be up to you what you do.P.S that nurse sounds dreadful
I went today for a smear test - like you I’m a virgin however the first question the nurse asked me was have you had sex and I said no, she then said that there was no point in me having a test as ive never had sex with a man. I looked at her baffled and said I came because both my Aunty and my mum have had operations due to abmormal cells and cists. She said that it didn’t matter and that it doesn’t get passed down the family and then said she would write down that I wasn’t sexually active so I won’t get invited and to have a good day. I didn’t know what else to do or say so I just walked out. I’m so confused because the information says that I can refuse to have the test but if I want to have it then I can
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DollyDot94
I went today for a smear test - like you I’m a virgin however the first question the nurse asked me was have you had sex and I said no, she then said that there was no point in me having a test as ive never had sex with a man. I looked at her baffled and said I came because both my Aunty and my mum have had operations due to abmormal cells and cists. She said that it didn’t matter and that it doesn’t get passed down the family and then said she would write down that I wasn’t sexually active so I won’t get invited and to have a good day. I didn’t know what else to do or say so I just walked out. I’m so confused because the information says that I can refuse to have the test but if I want to have it then I can

Attachment not found

I found this online. You can still have a smear test even if you are a virgin. Don’t get why the nurse told you that.

I’ve had a smear test but I’m not a virgin, it’s only a 5 min procedure. Even though you’re most likely at a low risk, it’s still worth getting one done. :smile:
my daughter had the same experience today. She is 25 and virgin but the nurse had to abandon her test for the same reason. My daughter is autistic and now afraid to try again. she's not in a sexual relationship but the nurse did say that it is very difficult to carry the test out on a virgin.I know don't know what to do as my daughter was frightened by the experience and doesn't want to try again.
Hi! I know this was posted a while ago but I am in the exact same position as you at the moment. I'm 24 and was recently sent away from my smear appointment without being tested as I'm a virgin which apparently makes me very low risk. I had never heard of anybody being refused a smear test before and it left me feeling really unsettled and a little upset. I'm not sure what to do now as my nurse was quite insistent I didn't need to bother until I had a partner but I have no idea if I will anytime soon and would honestly just rather get this over with now even if it's only for peace of mind. Did everything go alright for you in the end?
Hi! I know this was posted a while ago but I am in the exact same position as you at the moment. I'm 24 and was recently sent away from my smear appointment without being tested as I'm a virgin which apparently makes me very low risk. I had never heard of anybody being refused a smear test before and it left me feeling really unsettled and a little upset. I'm not sure what to do now as my nurse was quite insistent I didn't need to bother until I had a partner but I have no idea if I will anytime soon and would honestly just rather get this over with now even if it's only for peace of mind. Did everything go alright for you in the end?
Original post by worriedmom
my daughter had the same experience today. She is 25 and virgin but the nurse had to abandon her test for the same reason. My daughter is autistic and now afraid to try again. she's not in a sexual relationship but the nurse did say that it is very difficult to carry the test out on a virgin.I know don't know what to do as my daughter was frightened by the experience and doesn't want to try again.

The chances of cervical cancer in someone who has never had any sexual contact and has had the HPV vaccine are very low. I live in Scotland and was meant to start having smears at 20 but because I was a virgin, I was told I didn't need to start having them until a year after I became sexually active.
Original post by Anna_875

The chances of cervical cancer in someone who has never had any sexual contact and has had the HPV vaccine are very low. I live in Scotland and was meant to start having smears at 20 but because I was a virgin, I was told I didn't need to start having them until a year after I became sexually active.
I'm 32 years old, and I've just received a letter for a smear test and my partner and I haven't been sexually active because I live with my Dad and my brother in Carlisle and my partner lives in Skegness and I'm now engaged to my partner after he got down on to one knee to marry him which is very exhallent news. I've been to have a smear test last year and I didn't evenly like it and it was also really painful and I was thinking maybe I shouldn't have one. What should I do?

Quick Reply

Latest