The Student Room Group

What’s the best uni I can get into

Hello I want to apply to a management/economics course or anything similar to that.

I’m a gap year student resitting maths gcse to go from a 4 hopefully to a 7.

However if that doesn’t happen what’s the best uni I could get into?

My grades are D*DD possibly going upto D*D*D with a resit in January. 4 in maths GCSE and 5 in English. The rest are pretty poor with most 4s and 5s and one B.

So what’s the best uni i could have a chance at?
As long as you get the GCSE resit, your overall GCSE grade profile will not matter that much.

However, finding a Management or Economics degree with a weak GCSE Maths grade could be a problem - one solution os to go for a degree with a Foundation year - one example : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/business-management-and-economics-with-a-foundation-year-bsc. You could have one or two choices like this, and that would give you a reliable Insurance, and have one of two other choices asking for a higher GCSE as a potential Firm - that way whichever way the GCSE went you'd be covered.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
As long as you get the GCSE resit, your overall GCSE grade profile will not matter that much.

However, finding a Management or Economics degree with a weak GCSE Maths grade could be a problem - one solution os to go for a degree with a Foundation year - one example : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/business-management-and-economics-with-a-foundation-year-bsc. You could have one or two choices like this, and that would give you a reliable Insurance, and have one of two other choices asking for a higher GCSE as a potential Firm - that way whichever way the GCSE went you'd be covered.

Hello thanks for your response! I was considering a foundation course and one that interested me was the Warwick management degree with foundation course however it’s also asking for a 6 in English. I’m considering resitting the exam in July next year because it’s an amazing school.

Is there any other universities around top 10/15 which offer a foundation year? Personally I wouldn’t mind going for a foundation year if it means I can get to a better uni with better prospects.

Thanks for your advice though much appreciated .
Google the relevant words - Foundation Economics University etc - then check the entry requirements.
There are lots - Durham, Southampton, Loughborough, Man Met etc. Just check that they are not widening-participation with strict entry criteria, or for those with the 'wrong' A level subjects.
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
Anyone???
You've had responses - please stop bumping.
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
You've had responses - please stop bumping.

I’ve had one response from one person. This is quite urgent so I’m looking for some answers
Original post by S1M001
I’ve had one response from one person. This is quite urgent so I’m looking for some answers

In terms of universities with grade 4 Maths look into East Anglia, Kent and Keele to see if they accept it.
Original post by S1M001
Hello I want to apply to a management/economics course or anything similar to that.

My grades are D*DD possibly going upto D*D*D with a resit in January. 4 in maths GCSE and 5 in English. The rest are pretty poor with most 4s and 5s and one B.

hey do you have tips on getting d*
Original post by S1M001

Well your BTEC grades are really good and they should negate your "poor" GCSE grades to an extent we can probably agree that Oxbridge is out of reach but a lot of places will see your BTEC grades as proof that you are capable of uni so look at some higher up or the middle of the league tables you might want o consider a few integrated masters courses. We really can't say where what the best uni you can get in with wit any degree of certainty. Rally the best university is the one where you feel most happy so yeah go to some open days and that should help.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Well your BTEC grades are really good and they should negate your "poor" GCSE grades to an extent we can probably agree that Oxbridge is out of reach but a lot of places will see your BTEC grades as proof that you are capable of uni so look at some higher up or the middle of the league tables you might want o consider a few integrated masters courses. We really can't say where what the best uni you can get in with wit any degree of certainty. Rally the best university is the one where you feel most happy so yeah go to some open days and that should help.

The problem is that nearly all leading universities have strict Maths requirements for Economics and some times business or Marketing. Often they want A level Maths in addition to the BTEC as these courses are very Mathematical. A good BTEC result doesnt overcome the lack of A level Maths unfortunately. Here is an example from Bath but this applies in nearly all leading universities,
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2022/economics/bsc-economics/#:~:text=D*DD%20in%20the,studying%20A%20level%20Mathematics

Things like Politics dont have the same Maths requirement so perhaps they might provide a better option.
Original post by swanseajack1
The problem is that nearly all leading universities have strict Maths requirements for Economics and some times business or Marketing. Often they want A level Maths in addition to the BTEC as these courses are very Mathematical. A good BTEC result doesnt overcome the lack of A level Maths unfortunately. Here is an example from Bath but this applies in nearly all leading universities,
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2022/economics/bsc-economics/#:~:text=D*DD%20in%20the,studying%20A%20level%20Mathematics

Things like Politics dont have the same Maths requirement so perhaps they might provide a better option.

Then maybe the foundation would be a better option I had a look at my university for business management courses (Solent) and OP meets the requirements for there it’s a really nice uni and the course is CMI accredited and it’s 3rd in the UK for student start up’s. The course is also in the top 30 UK university’s for that course so you could do a lot worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending