The Student Room Group

Suit and regular tie or tuxedo and bow tie?

Which one looks better on guys?

Scroll to see replies

Suit and regular tie 100% I think guys always look slightly uncomfortable in tuxes
Reply 2
I prefer suits
Depends on the guy
Suit and regular tie is miles better because it looks more professional. A bow tie is more suited for a comedian or other entertainer.
We don't have 'tuxedos', because we're not American. It's 'black tie', or a 'dinner jacket'.

It's a bit of a meaningless question, because they are two distinct modes of dress for two different occasions. If you were going to a formal dinner, or anywhere where it said 'black tie' on the invitation, then a normal lounge suit would be completely incorrect. Similarly, if you were going for a job interview, then wearing a dinner jacket would, by definition, be ridiculous.

It's the right outfit for the right occasion, not 'which is better'. Black tie, worn correctly and without cheap components can't be beaten in terms of appearance.
Original post by Reality Check
Similarly, if you were going for a job interview, then wearing a dinner jacket would, by definition, be ridiculous.

Haha I'm literally imagining a guy turning up to an interview like that...
Original post by summerbirdreads

A suit and tie is regular job interview attire though

You might as well go in a clown suit :laugh:
Original post by rosy_posy

She's talking about black tie for an interview, not a lounge suit.

I'm talking about a fancy dinner jacket with a bow tie.... that is kinda ridiculous for a job interview
You might as well go in a clown suit :laugh:

Well, now the guy is wearing a clown wig, make-up and nose.. but he is still in a dinner jacket with the bow tie
Well, now the guy is wearing a clown wig, make-up and nose.. but he is still in a dinner jacket with the bow tie

The job is his! :laugh:
The job is his! :laugh:

They are not even conducting the interview... he even got a promotion before he even got the job.
I'm talking about a fancy dinner jacket with a bow tie.... that is kinda ridiculous for a job interview

I meant a shirt with a regular tie
Suit and regular tie is miles better because it looks more professional. A bow tie is more suited for a comedian or other entertainer.

A bow tie is part of Black Tie - it's nothing to do with entertainers. Black tie with a normal tie would be incorrect.
suit and tie :fan:
bow ties are weird looking
A bow tie is part of Black Tie - it's nothing to do with entertainers. Black tie with a normal tie would be incorrect.

I've literally seen entertainers wear bow ties. A suit with a normal tie is what is more suitable for formal events.
I've literally seen entertainers wear bow ties. A suit with a normal tie is what is more suitable for formal events.

You don't seem to understand. What is 'suitable for formal events' depends on the event, and the dress code. If the dress code is 'black tie', then a suit with a normal tie is not suitable - it would require a dinner jacket with a bow tie.

Bow ties aren't just worn by entertainers, basically. They are an integral part of black tie, and a suit with a normal tie is not necessarily 'more suitable' for formal events: it could be very unsuitable, depending on the event and dress code.
You don't seem to understand. What is 'suitable for formal events' depends on the event, and the dress code. If the dress code is 'black tie', then a suit with a normal tie is not suitable - it would require a dinner jacket with a bow tie.

Bow ties aren't just worn by entertainers, basically. They are an integral part of black tie, and a suit with a normal tie is not necessarily 'more suitable' for formal events: it could be very unsuitable, depending on the event and dress code.

Yes it does depend on the dress code but I was speaking generally.
What I meant was that entertainers wear bow ties but not as part of a formal suit. An example is in the attachment. I'm aware that bow ties are worn as a part of black tie suits.

Quick Reply

Latest