The Student Room Group

Suspected car bomb attack on a Liverpool hospital leaves 1 dead, 1 injured

Scroll to see replies

As i'm sure @04MR17 would agree it is unhelpful to speculate and pedal and agenda at this stage.
No details of motive or suspect have been released. At this stage all thoughts should be with the emergency services and people affected by this awful incident.
Posting to subscribe
We're looking at Liverpool Women's Hospital here
(where I was born)

BBC article is here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-59282354

Importantly, police are not treating this as a terror incident at the present time
I'm waiting for Boris to shut up so that the news turns to this
Original post by 04MR17
I'm waiting for Boris to shut up so that the news turns to this

Agreed, if this was London it would be headline news.

EDIT: Finally made the top of the BBC news page compared to COP26
(edited 2 years ago)
Police have confirmed that anti-terror police are leading the investigation, but it is not being treated as a terror incident at this stage.

The person in hospital has injuries that are not life threatening
Police now confirm three men arrested under Terrorism Act.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59285235?at_custom4=993513FE-457D-11EC-921A-B58F96E8478F&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_campaign=64&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom3=%40BBCBreaking

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10200811/Bomb-squad-called-hospital-sounds-explosion-heard-outside-entrance.html

"Look Iranian". Not sure how much the average Brit can distinguish between an Iranian or someone else from that part of the world (I can but admittedly I know Iranians and am far from the average Brit - who most likely mislabel them as "Arabs") . If they were, this could be some kind of targeted attack, maybe on one of the exile diaspora who have been critical of the regime in Tehran. Given the bomb killed the passenger, its likely it was targeted. Expect a big diplomatic crisis to unfold by tommorow morning if this is the case.
(edited 2 years ago)
'Count-terrorism police said the men - aged 29, 26 and 21 - had been held in connection with the incident which happened just before 11:00 GMT.'

From the above BBC article

Word of mouth on social media (taken with a massive scoop of salt) is that the driver who is injured noticed the passenger acting suspiciously, locked them in the taxi and exited the vehicle.

If so the driver is an absolute hero and probably saved a lot of lives. With it being Remembrance Sunday and the passenger travelling at 11am who knows where their intended destination could be.
Militant anti vaxxers? that's a thing?
Reply 10
Subbed
A successful terrorist attack on Remembrance Sunday would certainly be an excellent motivation for ISIS / AQ supporters. The raids carried out afterwards suggest that security services have moved incredibly rapidly to contain the threat.

RIP to the individual killed, unless, of course, they were the one responsible for the attack in the first place.
Now been declared a terror incident :frown: my earlier comments about the taxi driver have now been confirmed by the BBC as fact
He prevented a lot of deaths yesterday
Reply 13
Original post by CoolCavy
Now been declared a terror incident :frown: my earlier comments about the taxi driver have now been confirmed by the BBC as fact
He prevented a lot of deaths yesterday

Liverpool explosion: UK terror threat level raised to 'severe' following hospital blast - attack now 'highly likely' - Sky News
Original post by Barbu
Liverpool explosion: UK terror threat level raised to 'severe' following hospital blast - attack now 'highly likely' - Sky News

Apparently (again word of mouth) the passenger had asked to go the cathedral, when the road was congested with roadworks they asked to go to the women's hospital instead.
The catherdral was absolutely packed because of the remembrance service. If the bomber had made it doesnt bear thinking about.

Just awful :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by CoolCavy
Apparently (again word of mouth) the passenger had asked to go the cathedral, when the road was congested with roadworks they asked to go to the women's hospital instead.
The catherdral was absolutely packed because of the remembrance service. If the bomber had made it doesnt bear thinking about.

Just awful :frown:

I'm reading conflicted reports: Some claiming he asked for the cathedral, others claiming his destination was the hospital itself.

Let's thank David Perry's, the taximan, quick thinking. Without him, this would have been an absolute tragedy.
Stay safe out there people.
Reply 17
The Asst Chief Constable of NW Counter Terror Police has said that despite reports to the contrary, the hospital was the target all along.

My mate lives about 200 yards up from there, was crazy yesterday.
Reply 18
Original post by Tempest II

RIP to the individual killed, unless, of course, they were the one responsible for the attack in the first place.

They were.
It sounds like the security services, who by and large do a fantastic job, were very fortunate here that the attack failed which would otherwise have been catastrophic.

Even the taxi driver appears to be physically unscathed. Certainly a sign that post-lockdown terrorism is a major threat in line with what many academics and police chiefs predicted. I sincerely hope we don't see a repeat of 2017.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending