The Student Room Group

I don't feel like doing anything but I want to do things.

Hi I am 21 and for years I have suffered with depression and anxiety, four years ago I started to take citalopram which worked and I was able to come out of my shell and even was able to get a girlfriend!

Now coming on 2 years later I am struggling with not being able to get out of bed before 11am min unless I have to go to work. Taking the dogs out I struggle with (for anyone who care they are 2 black labs aged 9 and 4) even though I love them and want them to have happy. I am doing a video games art course in university as I am extremely passionate about making games and have been doing so for 7 years+ now but even though I am driven enough to make my passion into a career I still cannot do any of the work. I have been struggling with this for over a year now and have had to retake the first year because of this.

I have been given a grant to have an amazing PC so I can develop to my hearts content but even with all the help and support from the people around me I cannot overcome my inability to do anything but procrastinate and laziness. My family have supported me all my life and a am super grateful and couldn't ask for better people around me. I feel lucky and fortunate enough to have such a great place in life but even with all of this I still cant do anything.

Every day I become more un-motivated and angry with myself that I cant do something as simple as use the amazing opportunity to do something with my life because not many people get to be in the position I'm in. I see people around me in much worse situations and they get on even feeling how they do but all I cant think is that I'm too privileged for my own good. I hate to be ungrateful and I like to think I'm pretty modest as a person but I cant escape this even thinking like I do.

As far as aspirations I have plenty so by all means I should be motivated to do anything but alas I cannot get out of my stupid loop of getting out of bed late, procrastinating for a good hour, walking the dogs then saying I will do my work in a bit then proceed to play videogames or watch anime/youtube switching between every five mins to make me feel like I'm doing something I spouse until my family get home from work at which time I go onto discord and pretend I've done something and play with my friends until 12 - 1am when ill go to sleep and repeat the same thing the next day.

I hope some one can relate and maybe we can help each other or something also sorry for all the I's and me's in advance. :smile:
It’s difficult not to give platitudes that we’re once given to me, but in some respects there will be truth.

For instance depression and anxiety are serious conditions but so much can be done to help cope. Have you tried CBT? I recommend that along with finding other activities to do than your usual.

Diet and exercise does make a huge difference in my experience.

Motivation I feel doesn’t exist, it’s a case of doing it even at your worst, as that will set a healthy routine. For example, in a day you really do not want to get up and go for a walk, do it with some music and seek pleasure in the little things. Get the ball rolling.

I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful. I still struggle to this day, but I have found the aforementioned helpful. I’d also like to add medication ultimately makes my symptoms worse over time.

Hope you find your groove!!!
Sounds like you have all the resources you need but could do with a major lifestyle change. Depression can certainly drain the life out of you and make a 24 hr day feel so exhausting that it's more like a 5 hour day and it's over before you know it. Getting up at 8am will make a big diff because the day is pretty much going downhill by 11am as afternoon is arriving. You also need to have something to 'snap' you out of it when you're falling into the phone/tv/laptop rabbit hole where hours just pass. Do you exercise?
yes mate i can definitely relate, and i think we all can. think about people who you look up to and think about what makes them great. the hardest part is just getting started, once you get going you'll feel so energetic and you'll have the drive forever. all it takes is one big leap. i was in a state of constant procastination through the whole of secondary school, and so i felt short of my offer to study medicine as i messed up on results day. i was depressed for about 3 days and then i decided I've got nothing to lose, but at the same time I've got so much to lose, so i decided to put my 100% effort into studying for my UCAT exam (a very daunting medicine entrance exam which u have to do each time u apply to medicine) and i ended up scoring in the top 2% in the country. compared to when i did it last year, i was in the bottom 40%. it took one big leap, where i said enough is enough (cringey as it sounds), and i started waking up at 4:30 am, working out for 2 hours, and studying until 9pm. i feel so much energetic now that I've had this big win. rinse and repeat, now I'm so much closer to becoming a medical student. its all to do with the mindset. its not really about being motivated, its about being disciplined. what are your goals? what do you want to achieve 10, 15 years down the line? a 10 million pound mansion, 12 car garage and a banging wife? yeah i bet you want all of that, so take that big leap of faith and don't look back, its all it takes. just get up, work out, shower, and make this video games, make the next GTA 5 or MW2. there's no magic sauce or magic trick that'll take you out of your depression, its all up to you. no one should care about you more than you care about yourself. its important to be selfish sometimes!!!!!!!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It’s difficult not to give platitudes that we’re once given to me, but in some respects there will be truth.

For instance depression and anxiety are serious conditions but so much can be done to help cope. Have you tried CBT? I recommend that along with finding other activities to do than your usual.

Diet and exercise does make a huge difference in my experience.

Motivation I feel doesn’t exist, it’s a case of doing it even at your worst, as that will set a healthy routine. For example, in a day you really do not want to get up and go for a walk, do it with some music and seek pleasure in the little things. Get the ball rolling.

I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful. I still struggle to this day, but I have found the aforementioned helpful. I’d also like to add medication ultimately makes my symptoms worse over time.

Hope you find your groove!!!

Don't be sorry, any reply is still a good one :smile:

I appreciate you replying.
Reply 5
Original post by hullaball00
Sounds like you have all the resources you need but could do with a major lifestyle change. Depression can certainly drain the life out of you and make a 24 hr day feel so exhausting that it's more like a 5 hour day and it's over before you know it. Getting up at 8am will make a big diff because the day is pretty much going downhill by 11am as afternoon is arriving. You also need to have something to 'snap' you out of it when you're falling into the phone/tv/laptop rabbit hole where hours just pass. Do you exercise?

Yeah I take the dogs out for an hour at the least, it from what I can tell doesn't help me but you never know ahaha
Reply 6
yes mate i can definitely relate, and i think we all can. think about people who you look up to and think about what makes them great. the hardest part is just getting started, once you get going you'll feel so energetic and you'll have the drive forever. all it takes is one big leap. i was in a state of constant procastination through the whole of secondary school, and so i felt short of my offer to study medicine as i messed up on results day. i was depressed for about 3 days and then i decided I've got nothing to lose, but at the same time I've got so much to lose, so i decided to put my 100% effort into studying for my UCAT exam (a very daunting medicine entrance exam which u have to do each time u apply to medicine) and i ended up scoring in the top 2% in the country. compared to when i did it last year, i was in the bottom 40%. it took one big leap, where i said enough is enough (cringey as it sounds), and i started waking up at 4:30 am, working out for 2 hours, and studying until 9pm. i feel so much energetic now that I've had this big win. rinse and repeat, now I'm so much closer to becoming a medical student. its all to do with the mindset. its not really about being motivated, its about being disciplined. what are your goals? what do you want to achieve 10, 15 years down the line? a 10 million pound mansion, 12 car garage and a banging wife? yeah i bet you want all of that, so take that big leap of faith and don't look back, its all it takes. just get up, work out, shower, and make this video games, make the next GTA 5 or MW2. there's no magic sauce or magic trick that'll take you out of your depression, its all up to you. no one should care about you more than you care about yourself. its important to be selfish sometimes!!!!!!!

I guess sometimes I feel like I am selfish when I should be but I have no clue ahaha
Hi I am 21 and for years I have suffered with depression and anxiety, four years ago I started to take citalopram which worked and I was able to come out of my shell and even was able to get a girlfriend!

Now coming on 2 years later I am struggling with not being able to get out of bed before 11am min unless I have to go to work. Taking the dogs out I struggle with (for anyone who care they are 2 black labs aged 9 and 4) even though I love them and want them to have happy. I am doing a video games art course in university as I am extremely passionate about making games and have been doing so for 7 years+ now but even though I am driven enough to make my passion into a career I still cannot do any of the work. I have been struggling with this for over a year now and have had to retake the first year because of this.

I have been given a grant to have an amazing PC so I can develop to my hearts content but even with all the help and support from the people around me I cannot overcome my inability to do anything but procrastinate and laziness. My family have supported me all my life and a am super grateful and couldn't ask for better people around me. I feel lucky and fortunate enough to have such a great place in life but even with all of this I still cant do anything.

Every day I become more un-motivated and angry with myself that I cant do something as simple as use the amazing opportunity to do something with my life because not many people get to be in the position I'm in. I see people around me in much worse situations and they get on even feeling how they do but all I cant think is that I'm too privileged for my own good. I hate to be ungrateful and I like to think I'm pretty modest as a person but I cant escape this even thinking like I do.

As far as aspirations I have plenty so by all means I should be motivated to do anything but alas I cannot get out of my stupid loop of getting out of bed late, procrastinating for a good hour, walking the dogs then saying I will do my work in a bit then proceed to play videogames or watch anime/youtube switching between every five mins to make me feel like I'm doing something I spouse until my family get home from work at which time I go onto discord and pretend I've done something and play with my friends until 12 - 1am when ill go to sleep and repeat the same thing the next day.

I hope some one can relate and maybe we can help each other or something also sorry for all the I's and me's in advance. :smile:

https://youtu.be/uiaRYQlsjy4?t=66

Don't do anything then, stay in bed all day but don't expect to get far
Reply 9
🤣🤣🤣

hahaha you've got to really want to do it , doing something unrelated like exercise isn't going to help imo.

Quick Reply

Latest