The Student Room Group

parents to an open day?

do people go with parents on an open day or is that embarrassing?
Reply 1
A lot of the time yes, you see a lot of parents/grandparents/other random family members/friends around on open days. Just go with the people who you think will help you find out what you need to know to make an informed choice :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

I personally didn't and felt it was a lot easier to make my own judgements without my parents watching over me. I would try it solo its not as hard as you think :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RareNebulas
I personally didn't and felt it was a lot easier to make my own judgements without my parents watching over me. I would try it solo its not as hard as you think :smile:

i want to go on my own. did u feel weird going on ur own?

It was kinda weird at first but I got used to it and I think it was better for me than being with parents. I would give it a go and if it doesn't work for you then bring your parents to other open days. Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
It was kinda weird at first but I got used to it and I think it was better for me than being with parents. I would give it a go and if it doesn't work for you then bring your parents to other open days. Good luck :smile:

WEIRD AT FIRST? because ur the only one without company. right ok thanks wont do that

The best unis have separate sessions for parents - this quite useful as it explains SFE and parents contribution.
I went with my parents, and my parents' parents, and their siblings, sons, daughters, cats, dogs, pet snakes and goldfish. Was a bash. Took up all the parking spaces between us & clogged the motorway.
(edited 2 years ago)
WEIRD AT FIRST? because ur the only one without company. right ok thanks wont do that

No it felt weird as in, HOLY **** I TOOK A TRAIN 3 HOURS FROM HOME AND NOW IM BY MYSELF AND MY PARENTS ARENT HERE. It was an excited nervous weird feeling. There are plenty of people there who come without parents
To what - a university? Sometimes they have something separate for parents to do (so a talk for parents and a separate talk for prosective students) - but in practice, the choice may be between going round with your parents and going round on your own. There will be plenty of people doing both (and also some where a parent is going round with their own prospective student child and also a couple of their friends who are interested in the same things).

Some places basically tell the parents to get lost and what time to come back, so everyone is on their own (well, in a group together, but not with anyone they know). It isn't necessarily your choice.
Original post by Interea
A lot of the time yes, you see a lot of parents/grandparents/other random family members/friends around on open days. Just go with the people who you think will help you find out what you need to know to make an informed choice :smile:

Thanyou, You are so helpful and give amazing advice ahh :3
Original post by Muttley79
The best unis have separate sessions for parents - this quite useful as it explains SFE and parents contribution.

woah really? that does sound useful
Original post by skylark2
To what - a university? Sometimes they have something separate for parents to do (so a talk for parents and a separate talk for prosective students) - but in practice, the choice may be between going round with your parents and going round on your own. There will be plenty of people doing both (and also some where a parent is going round with their own prospective student child and also a couple of their friends who are interested in the same things).

Some places basically tell the parents to get lost and what time to come back, so everyone is on their own (well, in a group together, but not with anyone they know). It isn't necessarily your choice.

Yes, to a university open day. Also thanks for letting me know, i didn't actually know this at all
No it felt weird as in, HOLY **** I TOOK A TRAIN 3 HOURS FROM HOME AND NOW IM BY MYSELF AND MY PARENTS ARENT HERE. It was an excited nervous weird feeling. There are plenty of people there who come without parents

ooohhhhhh got u
My parents didn't go with me to any open days when I was at uni. My fiance came with me to an open day at Liverpool, but I went to one at Leeds by myself (we lived in Leeds).

I dunno if my kids will want me with them. I'll do whatever they want me to do.
I'm currently going to sixth form college open days with my daughter, but we'll see about uni - they can let me know what they're comfortable with.

Do what you want, you see both. Id say more often then not one parent goes (normally providing transport) but it varies.
(edited 2 years ago)
Its fine - either way.
No-one cares/notices who you are with.
I took my boyfriend who was 40. Though I was 45 at the time. We went around the campus with one girl who brought her parents and one lad on his own. Do whatever logistically works (ie easy to cross London by tube to attend one campus but 3-4 hours on train and taxi and hotel overnight may be a bit Much if not used to it.
I took my mum, she wanted to go to the finance talks. She is putting me through uni.... It's the least I could do 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest