The Student Room Group

Can someone help me get a formal ADHD diagnosis through the NHS (F 19)

can someone please help me on how to get a formal diagnosis in ADHD??
ive talked to the gp already they referred me to a talking therapy thing and i just talked about my stress and my mental health. wasnt really what i was looking for.
they cant even diagnose you with anything.
i want a formal assessment of adhd so i know if i really have it or not because ive been thinking ive had it for years now. if i do acctually have it ill know that all along this was out of my control.
Its getting harder to manage everyday activitiues and routines. Im also doing terrible at university too and i think the symptoms of adhd are to blame.
anyway can someone guide me on how i can get a formal diagnosis of adhd through the NHS please??
i dont wanna get a private one coz im broke.
thank youu
Original post by Anonymous
can someone please help me on how to get a formal diagnosis in ADHD??
ive talked to the gp already they referred me to a talking therapy thing and i just talked about my stress and my mental health. wasnt really what i was looking for.
they cant even diagnose you with anything.
i want a formal assessment of adhd so i know if i really have it or not because ive been thinking ive had it for years now. if i do acctually have it ill know that all along this was out of my control.
Its getting harder to manage everyday activitiues and routines. Im also doing terrible at university too and i think the symptoms of adhd are to blame.
anyway can someone guide me on how i can get a formal diagnosis of adhd through the NHS please??
i dont wanna get a private one coz im broke.
thank youu

im in the exact same position too! if anyone has any advice pls let me know too cause I also want to get diagnosed but the fees are crazy expensive!
Go back to your GP and tell them that you specifically want to be referred for assessment for ADHD. If parents/teachers/lecturers have also had concerns about this, that is definitely worth mentioning to them. Unfortunately, it can be very tricky getting a diagnosis as an adult as the fact that you have managed to get to adulthood without it being picked up can be seen as a sign that your difficulties are not severe.

Quick Reply

Latest