The Student Room Group

Im a failure

I cant do maths even if I try and it sucks when you put the effort in and still fail. I just can't do it. I think studying isn't for me but I don't know what is for me. I can't do basic skills like can't cook, my friend can but my family have to cook for me most of time and occasionally I get a takeaway. I'm not very out going. I don't feel confident about my future. I'm alone and have limited friends.

Some people lie to me and say I'm clever and stuff which is probably to make me happy but I know its not true, I'm an adult so want to be treated like one but people lie to make me happier and I don't why because I'm not a kid they need to be realistic. I'd prefer if people told the truth about my capabilities.
Hey there!
Ok, so, with the maths-is this GCSE or A-Level? I've done both but for GCSE, I definitely struggled in maths, which didn't help my self-esteem and confidence. This site helped me: https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/

Don't worry about not cooking. It took me a while to learn too. Start simply. Like assisting a parent in making a pasta sauce? Learn that way, and when you feel confident enough, cook pasta and pasta sauce for you and your family.

These things take time, so don't beat yourself up and think you're a failure!
What kind of things do you enjoy doing?
Reply 2
Original post by squirrelmonkey12
Hey there!
Ok, so, with the maths-is this GCSE or A-Level? I've done both but for GCSE, I definitely struggled in maths, which didn't help my self-esteem and confidence. This site helped me: https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/

Don't worry about not cooking. It took me a while to learn too. Start simply. Like assisting a parent in making a pasta sauce? Learn that way, and when you feel confident enough, cook pasta and pasta sauce for you and your family.

I just can't do maths at all, like basics, not even gcses it's just basic maths, I can't do that or any written subject tbf. I cant do a lot of stuff, even if become able to cook there's other stuff I can't do
Reply 3
Hey there!
Ok, so, with the maths-is this GCSE or A-Level? I've done both but for GCSE, I definitely struggled in maths, which didn't help my self-esteem and confidence. This site helped me:

I just can't do maths at all, like basics, not even gcses it's just basic maths, I can't do that or any written subject tbf. I cant do a lot of stuff, even if become able to cook there's other stuff I can't do
Academics doesn't always equal being clever. Sure there's a correlation but the people around you may think your clever because they're amazed by your knowledge or skill in other things.
You're seeing yourself in a negative light so it's easy to reject the positive attributes people see on an outside perspective. It's easy to forget the people around us are watching us and seeing things we can't see. For example: when someone calls me pretty, it's an immediate lie because I don't see it.

Also, there's a lot of things everyone can't do! For every thing I can't do, there's something I can. The same goes for you.
I can draw pretty OK but I can't play sports. Tell us some things you're good at? It can be anything. Owning even small achievements can feed into a growing confidence
Original post by Anonymous

Ok. With the maths, check out the website I suggested-start at Grade 1 GCSE and work your way up. See if that helps.

What kind of other things do you want to be able to do?

If it helps, you don't need to worry about leaving home and doing things for yourself just yet. Just do what you want to do. Make yourself a list of things you want to achieve in the next year and focus on that, one thing at a time.
What kind of things do you like doing?
Original post by Satori Tendō
Academics doesn't always equal being clever. Sure there's a correlation but the people around you may think your clever because they're amazed by your knowledge or skill in other things.
You're seeing yourself in a negative light so it's easy to reject the positive attributes people see on an outside perspective. It's easy to forget the people around us are watching us and seeing things we can't see. For example: when someone calls me pretty, it's an immediate lie because I don't see it.

Also, there's a lot of things everyone can't do! For every thing I can't do, there's something I can. The same goes for you.
I can draw pretty OK but I can't play sports. Tell us some things you're good at? It can be anything. Owning even small achievements can feed into a growing confidence

Thank you for expressing what I wanted to get across in actual words! OP if you only have time to look at one comment, please look at this one! :-D
Reply 7

I know about that. I don't really care about maths but it's good to have for like bills, mortgages when I'm older and stuff. I just can't do a lot of things. I don't play sports, I played football and was crap so I stopped

I like that answer. It's all about perspective.

At the same time, it's about what you do.
At 17 years old ( and counting) I can say, with confidence that life is not about how you feel, it's about - what are you gonna do about it?

Hey there!

The 2nd responder listed some resources. You could definitely give them a go. If you really want something, let's be honest, you'll do everything you can to try and get it.
Having said that, the skills needed to grasp topics certain topics, going with maths to begin with, aren't straightforward either, so there isn't a straight answer to this.

I suggest having a look at the resources above, and I'm sure many TSR users will also suggest some things to look at. Be patient and persistent, and before you know it, you'll certainly improve your core skills in mathematics.

We all start somewhere. So even if you're at stage 1, don't worry, the stages are endless anyway.
I know about that. I don't really care about maths but it's good to have for like bills, mortgages when I'm older and stuff. I just can't do a lot of things. I don't play sports, I played football and was crap so I stopped

Sports are over-reated, they suit some people but not others. Everyone manages to get by with bills without a math degree, don't worry, friends etc can help. What is something you enjoy? Can be really odd or small, doesn't matter. Any activity gives you a skill. Even impulse buying shows quick decision making!
Ok. With the maths, check out the website I suggested-start at Grade 1 GCSE and work your way up. See if that helps.

What kind of other things do you want to be able to do?

If it helps, you don't need to worry about leaving home and doing things for yourself just yet. Just do what you want to do. Make yourself a list of things you want to achieve in the next year and focus on that, one thing at a time.
What kind of things do you like doing?

I tried a lot and keep failing. I just don’t know much tbh because I feel like I wont be able to do anything
I tried a lot and keep failing. I just don’t know much tbh because I feel like I wont be able to do anything

if there’s a will there’s a way. I feel like you just want to complain without doing anything about it. even when you are failing you have to be determined to finish what you have started. try to motivate yourself more. It’s really good that you are trying.
if there’s a will there’s a way. I feel like you just want to complain without doing anything about it. even when you are failing you have to be determined to finish what you have started. try to motivate yourself more. It’s really good that you are trying.

I might need to realise its not for me
I cant do maths even if I try and it sucks when you put the effort in and still fail. I just can't do it. I think studying isn't for me but I don't know what is for me. I can't do basic skills like can't cook, my friend can but my family have to cook for me most of time and occasionally I get a takeaway. I'm not very out going. I don't feel confident about my future. I'm alone and have limited friends.

Some people lie to me and say I'm clever and stuff which is probably to make me happy but I know its not true, I'm an adult so want to be treated like one but people lie to make me happier and I don't why because I'm not a kid they need to be realistic. I'd prefer if people told the truth about my capabilities.

bro the difference between me and you is im negan. its all in ur head if u get waht im saying.
I might need to realise its not for me

then realize what you are interested in before it’s too late.
then realize what you are interested in before it’s too late.

I'm into cars a lot

Quick Reply

Latest