The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is Durham University breaking the law?

Is Durham University breaking the law? It only needs two students to qualify. Sex worker training has just been launched. If more than two sex-workers live in their halls of residence then Durham itself could be questioned by the boys in blue.

Here's a reminder of the law:
'A brothel is recognised as being a premises where at least two prostitutes work.
It is not legal for a person to keep, manage or help with the management of a brothel. This means that landlords or tenants who authorise a property to be used for this purpose will be in breach of the law.'

How about helping students out of prostitution instead?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Is Durham University breaking the law? It only needs two students to qualify. Sex worker training has just been launched. If more than two sex-workers live in their halls of residence then Durham itself could be questioned by the boys in blue.

'A brothel is recognised as being a premises where at least two prostitutes work.
It is not legal for a person to keep, manage or help with the management of a brothel. This means that landlords or tenants who authorise a property to be used for this purpose will be in breach of the law.'

Hi Anonymous

The key term is "work", if the sex workers were entertaining their clients at their halls, then they would no doubt be in breach of their housing contract, but may well bring the University into a legal issue, not to mention a reputational one as well!

If the alleged sex workers just live at the Halls, there is nothing illegal or immoral about it.

Chris
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi Anonymous

The key term is "work", if the sex workers were entertaining their clients at their halls, then they would no doubt be in breach of their housing contract, but may well bring the University into a legal issue, not to mention a reputational one as well!

If the alleged sex workers just live at the Halls, there is nothing illegal or immoral about it.

Chris

So where can the sex workers go to safety 'ply their trade' if not from where they live?

Congratulations. The year is almost over, and you have undoubtedly made the stupidest post on TSR of 2021.

Aside from the fact that you clearly clearly cannot distinguish between a residence and place of work, it really might be time to point out that it is 2021 - and in 2021 women can do what they like. It isn't for another person to tell them whether or not they need to be "helped out of prostitution" as you so paternalistically put it.
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
Congratulations. The year is almost over, and you have undoubtedly made the stupidest post on TSR of 2021.

Aside from the fact that you clearly clearly cannot distinguish between a residence and place of work, it really might be time to point out that it is 2021 - and in 2021 women can do what they like. It isn't for another person to tell them whether or not they need to be "helped out of prostitution" as you so paternalistically put it.

So where can sex workers go to do their work then? Do sex workers hire a hotel or something? Is that safe in your opinion?
So where can sex workers go to do their work then? Do sex workers hire a hotel or something? Is that safe in your opinion?

I would expect they go to an AirBnB or something similar. All the ads I've seen point to that at least, and it's what I would do were I one of them.

"Sex training" in this case is support and guidance on how to stay safe, apparently as a result of a large number of students there going into it. It isn't a bunch of pimps going round teaching their workers how to bring in a full trap at the end of the week.

Further to that point, this isn't a matter of where they're working if they do do work. It's likely against the terms of the contract for people living in student halls to operate a business from home, and I expect renting out your cooch is some form of business. That's down to the students. I expect that the people running the properties hardly want prostitution there, too. It wouldn't be the Uni's fault unless they were actively promoting it and guiding students into it (not a lawyer, just my guess), which they're not- they're providing safety and guidance to those that do.

The landlords/etc are likely not in the know for any cases where it occurs, and if the hoes were hoeing their trade out, it'd be their fault, not the poor unknowing landlord ("poor" but you get the point.)

On the note of prostitution though, I would expect a fair bit of them are going into OnlyFans and something similar. A lot of camstars I am aware of are actually fairly decent microbiologists/engineers who quit their jobs for the steady cash from thirsty codgers. It isn't just a matter of people going on the street like in the olden days- the game has changed.
Original post by Callicious
It isn't a bunch of pimps going round teaching their workers how to bring in a full trap at the end of the week.

I spat my tea out at that :laugh: Great post, by the way - totally agree with you.
Original post by Reality Check
I spat my tea out at that :laugh: Great post, by the way - totally agree with you.

Glad someone spat their tea out- in my case it was Irn Bru at the guy the other day who was going on about the consumption of rump :lol:
Glad someone spat their tea out- in my case it was Irn Bru at the guy the other day who was going on about the consumption of rump :lol:

Please tell me he was a butcher, talking about steak.
Original post by Reality Check
Please tell me he was a butcher, talking about steak.

You didn't see what he said to you did you? :lol:
You didn't see what he said to you did you? :lol:

hahaha :laugh: no, I did not.
(edited 2 years ago)

Did it ever occur to you that this might be part of the training? How to safely and legally go about work?

Apart from the fact that you have already conflated sex work and prostitution.
Original post by Trinculo
Did it ever occur to you that this might be part of the training? How to safely and legally go about work?

Apart from the fact that you have already conflated sex work and prostitution.

Please do ask Durham to share their training materials. I'm sure they would be of interest.

Durham Union: We want prostitution to be safe.
Student: That's great. This is all so empowering.
Durham Union: It is... and we are at the cutting edge of liberation!
Student: Can I do it from my Halls of residence then? Because then my friends can all help if a customer gets out of hand.
Durham Union: Errr no maybe not, because then Durham University would legally be considered a brothel. It would be utterly toxic to the universities reputation.
A pause, the student looks uncomfortable.
Student: But you said Sex work shouldn't be stigmatised.
Durham Union: It isn't by us. But others are so backward. There are other universities, disgusting feminist infested places with old fashioned ideas and old fashioned ways who might try to talk you out of this. I'm afraid you'll have to use an Airbnb until we've changed the law and liberated the whole of the U.K.
Student: But I can't afford an Airbnb.
Durham Union: Well just go under the canal bridge then. It's probably safer than an Airbnb anyway.
Original post by Alexdrake
Please do ask Durham to share their training materials. I'm sure they would be of interest.

Student: Can I do it from my Halls of residence then? Because then my friends can all help if a customer gets out of hand.
Durham Union: Errr no maybe not, because then Durham University would legally be considered a brothel. It would be utterly toxic to the universities reputation.
Durham Union: It isn't by us. But others are so backward. There are other universities, disgusting feminist infested places with old fashioned ideas and old fashioned ways who might try to talk you out of this. I'm afraid you'll have to use an Airbnb until we've changed the law and liberated the whole of the U.K.
Durham Union: Well just go under the canal bridge then. It's probably safer than an Airbnb anyway.

You do realise this was literally voted for by Durham students, right? Unlike a lot of other unis, the SU isn't denying that it exists, only how to be safe and informed.
You do realise this was literally voted for by Durham students, right? Unlike a lot of other unis, the SU isn't denying that it exists, only how to be safe and informed.

You're dealing with a doorpost here mate :lol: I wouldn't recommend wasting your time
Reply 15

lols you think the prostitute pays for the Airbnb? :lol: no mate the client pays for it.

prostitutes don't take clients to their home fyi cuz for safety reasons don't want clients to know where they live. if you live in halls and have a bunch of flatmates also probably don't want them to know all of your business. tenancy agreements also tend to have clauses that say you can't indulge in any(!) form of illegal activity at the property; this isn't limited to prostitution; but again, the prostitute has better reasons to not bring clients into their home so i reckon you've created a scenario that isn't going to happen.
Original post by Joleee
lols you think the prostitute pays for the Airbnb? :lol: no mate the client pays for it.

prostitutes don't take clients to their home fyi cuz for safety reasons don't want clients to know where they live. if you live in halls and have a bunch of flatmates also probably don't want them to know all of your business. tenancy agreements also tend to have clauses that say you can't indulge in any(!) form of illegal activity at the property; this isn't limited to prostitution; but again, the prostitute has better reasons to not bring clients into their home so i reckon you've created a scenario that isn't going to happen.

Great so the prostitute gets to choose the location and they can therefore choose a 'safe locale' which this 'utopian-well-adjusted-client' agrees to and pays for. This utopia you've created is very realistic.
Reply 17
Great so the prostitute gets to choose the location and they can therefore choose a 'safe locale' which this 'utopian-well-adjusted-client' agrees to and pays for. This utopia you've created is very realistic.

i'm note sure what you mean tbh :colondollar:

i responded to that users concerns that prostitutes can't afford Airbnb (they don't have to cuz it's not their responsibility; the client pays for it) nor do they want to bring clients to their accomodation for various legal and social issues. plus Durham University would already have a tendency clause that no illegal activity is allowed so it's covered under law. which part is confusing to you?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Joleee
i'm note sure what you mean tbh :colondollar:

i responded to that users concerns that prostitutes can't afford Airbnb (they don't have to cuz it's not their responsibility; the client pays for it) nor do they want to bring clients to their accomodation for various legal and social issues. plus Durham University would already have a tendency clause that no illegal activity is allowed so it's covered under law. which part is confusing to you?

I think safety might be the issue here. If the client pays for the space then how safe is this for the prostitute? I think well-intentioned students at Durham haven't really thought the ramifications of safety, because many have never been prostitutes, or they haven't actually read in depth about the realities of the sex trade. Durham students want sex-workers to be safe, but being safe as a prostitute is, in actual reality a 'pipe dream' unless you can pay a security guard to stand nearby. If you contemplate the issue practically, ideas about safety begin to fall apart.
Reply 19
I think safety might be the issue here. If the client pays for the space then how safe is this for the prostitute? I think well-intentioned students at Durham haven't really thought the ramifications of safety, because many have never been prostitutes, or they haven't actually read in depth about the realities of the sex trade. Durham students want sex-workers to be safe, but being safe as a prostitute is, in actual reality a 'pipe dream' unless you can pay a security guard to stand nearby. If you contemplate the issue practically, ideas about safety begin to fall apart.

Is the sex-worker learning anything at the Uni?

Quick Reply

Latest