The Student Room Group

Uni is making me depressed

I’m a first year student at uni. After almost 2 months of uni I realised that I absolutely hate the degree I’m doing. I tried to change it but it’s too late so now I’m just suffering 🥲 I don’t understand any of the classes and I don’t have the courage to drop out.

I’m always struggling whilst everyone in my class seems to know everything. I have an assignment due in 15 hours but I haven’t got the motivation to do it. I’ve been staring at my screen for 5 hours. I want to ask for an extension but I’m too embarrassed and I feel as if I wouldn’t be taken seriously. This course has ruined my life I never hated something so much in my life. :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
help:frown:
Original post by Fatfailure
I’m a first year student at uni. After almost 2 months of uni I realised that I absolutely hate the degree I’m doing. I tried to change it but it’s too late so now I’m just suffering 🥲 I don’t understand any of the classes and I don’t have the courage to drop out.

I’m always struggling whilst everyone in my class seems to know everything. I have an assignment due in 15 hours but I haven’t got the motivation to do it. I’ve been staring at my screen for 5 hours. I want to ask for an extension but I’m too embarrassed and I feel as if I wouldn’t be taken seriously. This course has ruined my life I never hated something so much in my life. :frown:

Im sorry you've found yourself in this situation :frown: I know it must be hard to work up the motivation to complete assignments if you don't like your course.

Have you considered deferring your studies for a year, and coming back to the uni studying a different course? I found myself in a similar situation as you in my first year, i really didn't like the course i was on. Never the less i stuck it out for a year barely making it through, but at the end of my first year i thought enough was enough and i decided to switch my course to something different. Since then, i haven't looked back! I met some amazing friends, started engaging with the lectures and the assignments, because i'm now doing a subject that genuinely interests me.

It is never too late to do what makes you happy, don't make yourself miserable for the next 3 years if you're not enjoying what you're currently doing. Life is too short!

I hope this helped and i hope you have to courage to make a change, you're allowed to do what makes you happy :smile:

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Original post by Fatfailure

Dude I’ve been there I originally went to Portsmouth ant it wasn’t really working I hadn’t really clicked with anyone people were nice and everything but I really wasn’t happy. I left after Christmas (I decided over the break) y parents couldn’t have been more supportive they were doing the Boat Show in Excel they picked me up that night. (I’d planned to tell them at the weekend but once I had done it I just had to tell them (it was such a relief). The next year I started again at Solent (doing an HND which I topped up to a BSc) and had a great time. I’d say leave it’s not worth being unhappy for 3 or 4 years I’m sure your parents will support you and if you choose to go back later or go somewhere else you’ll probably be supported in that too. Good luck.

As a side note someone who lives near me left uni and became a BA stewardesses and she’s well happy now.
(edited 2 years ago)
I can relate, I am struggling sooo much at present, and can barely understand some of my lecturers. Most of everything is on moodle, as in online, and being dyslexic, with no guidance on how to use the moodle, I am forever playing catchup. My xmas holiday is in two weeks and I am already swmaped with trying to teach myself A-level chemistry and addressing the online content.

I'm studying at Portsmouth uni, and being a disabled student with mobility issues find the disability access appauling. There is one building that I have to take a flight of stairs to access, then I can use an elevator to climb one floor, only for another set of stairs up, then down again. I have fallen asleep from exhaustion a few times. Another building has me climbing a flight of stairs to get to an elevator, cross the hall on the fourth floor, only to use another elevator (that should be condemned) down to the basement, where there is a locked door that could easily be converted allowing for smoother access for everyone.

Another nuisance is the disability departments, there are at least 4, I'm autistic, and use many services, have appointments which seem to be between a week to two months apart, I waited for an important appointment, only for it to be cancelled, I was hoping to get my disability concerns addressed, but now have to wait even longer. I have had nonsense like this before from disability services and eventually just registered with them for extra time, and rest breaks during my exams, and not bother with them as I found it wasted my time.

I'm very close to suffering in silence, and not saying anything, I'll just do the online componants to the work in hand, and avoid everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending