The Student Room Group

How has Brexit benefitted you personally?

Just a very simple question, as per the thread title. Before we left the EU, the country was very polarised between supporting Leave and Remain, with some very strong views on both sides.

So in the aftermath of us having left the EU, I'm interested to know (mainly from those who supported Leave), what tangible benefits have you gained in your own life as a direct consequence of Brexit?

Scroll to see replies

Wasn’t brexit largely about long term benefits and sovereignty as opposed to tangible personal gain?
Timely access to COVID vaccines is one benefit that springs to mind.
Original post by Cancelled Alice
Wasn’t brexit largely about long term benefits and sovereignty as opposed to tangible personal gain?

Well I'd wonder in what sense "long term benefits" are actually benefits at all if they don't bring any tangible gains to the people of this country. Similarly I'd wonder what the point of "sovereignty" is if we're not using it to benefit ourselves.

Timely access to COVID vaccines is one benefit that springs to mind.

Interesting you mention this - it's actually a myth, based on a claim made by Matt Hancock that has since been debunked by fact-checkers. The Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines were approved and became accessible in 2020, whilst the UK was still in the "transition period" with the EU and hence still tied to EU regulations. There was actually nothing enabling us to access these vaccines any faster than if we had still been in the EU.
Higher salary.
Reply 4
Nothing more me personally. But I do consider putting up with it an act of charity for the lovely folk in run-down seaside towns.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Higher salary.

Interesting. What industry do you work in, and why do you think has Brexit caused salaries to increase in that industry?

Do you not find that the increase is offset by the fact that inflation has also become much higher since the referendum, and is set to increase even further now that the pandemic is over? Or are you actually significantly better off now in real terms? (Disregarding the salary increases you would have got anyway regardless of Brexit)?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Interesting. What industry do you work in, and why do you think has Brexit caused salaries to increase in that industry?

Do you not find that the increase is offset by the fact that inflation has also become much higher since the referendum, and is set to increase even further now that the pandemic is over? Or are you actually significantly better off now in real terms? (Disregarding the salary increases you would have got anyway regardless of Brexit)?

This wasn't a debate on benefits vs drawbacks. In my sector logistics, there is a real terms increase and accross the company working conditions have increased to keep staff.

The never-ending staff pool of people who never get old, never ask for a payrise and and draw a pension has decreed. If we were still members of the EU this would not of happened, at worst brexit has helped increase wages at best it caused it.

Not all people are in the same boat mind you also, middle classes are beneficial of this thread less than working classes for various reasons.
This wasn't a debate on benefits vs drawbacks.

I'm not intending for it to be a debate on benefits vs drawbacks - it was more just a question around whether or not the higher salaries seen as a result of Brexit actually translate into people being able to afford to "buy more stuff", given the corresponding increases inflation. Because of course it is only if salaries increase in real terms, over and above any increase that would have taken place anyway, that it can be considered a benefit.

But yes I think in the logistics sector, what you are describing was to be expected.
Original post by tazarooni89
I'm not intending for it to be a debate on benefits vs drawbacks - it was more just a question around whether or not the higher salaries seen as a result of Brexit actually translate into people being able to afford to "buy more stuff", given the corresponding increases inflation. Because of course it is only if salaries increase in real terms, over and above any increase that would have taken place anyway, that it can be considered a benefit.

But yes I think in the logistics sector, what you are describing was to be expected.

I think brexit is the majority of the driving force of better working conditions for those at the bottom or towards the lower end of the scale of employment salaries.

I think we are in a current boom but those of us on here who are a little older will be already seeing the early signs of a bust. Therefore personally I'm keeping some cash back to fall back on as the looming hard times approach.

So If we will see a major boost in public spending, short term yes, long term I really doubt it l.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
I profited in the referendum because my polling analysis pre-cox suggested telephone polls (most accurate in 2015) put Leave ahead on raw data (before DK got excluded).

No impact here or there since.
Reply 10
i saved about $40,000 CAD when the British pound tanked after the referendum.
It hasnt. Its done nothing but cost me money tbh.
Original post by Djtoodles
It hasnt. Its done nothing but cost me money tbh.

How?
No impact one way or another.
I guess I got a vaccine about a month earlier than I might otherwise have? (And that's assuming the equivalent still-in-EU UK opted into the European pooling system and didn't push it to speed up.)
Maybe got my vaccine a month or so earlier.

Other than that the only other benefit I had was loosing two jobs in direct relation to Brexit and in my current job it's now more expensive to import so our profits have tanked.
A huge source of entertainment and schadenfreude with no real downsides.

The biggest political "**** you" to messrs Blair, Soros, Clegg, Juncker, Cameron, Obama etc
Original post by DanB1991
Maybe got my vaccine a month or so earlier.

Other than that the only other benefit I had was loosing two jobs in direct relation to Brexit and in my current job it's now more expensive to import so our profits have tanked.

Original post by Saracen's Fez
I guess I got a vaccine about a month earlier than I might otherwise have? (And that's assuming the equivalent still-in-EU UK opted into the European pooling system and didn't push it to speed up.)

Which could have saved your life
Which could have saved your life

There is a very low but non-zero probability that that was the case, yes.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
There is a very low but non-zero probability that that was the case, yes.

This might be correct at individual level but the bigger picture is of the contrary! There is an exceptionally high chance, almost certain, that accross the country there are several people alive today that would be dead if we had remained due to this low probability. I'd say that's a pretty big benefit of brexit.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending