The Student Room Group

Student finance for PGCE

Hello everyone!
Long story short, I have been offered a place for a salaried teaching apprenticeship which my school can no longer fulfil due to lack of funding. I am now looking into other options for teacher training such as a PGCE. This was previously ruled out as I have financial commitments (a mortgage, 2 children…) I understand that there is a maintenance loan from student finance but that would not cover my current TA wage, which is the absolute minimum I could afford to receive in order to support my family during training.
Has anyone got any advice of being in a similar position?
Thank you
Original post by Ever hopeful TA
Hello everyone!
Long story short, I have been offered a place for a salaried teaching apprenticeship which my school can no longer fulfil due to lack of funding. I am now looking into other options for teacher training such as a PGCE. This was previously ruled out as I have financial commitments (a mortgage, 2 children…) I understand that there is a maintenance loan from student finance but that would not cover my current TA wage, which is the absolute minimum I could afford to receive in order to support my family during training.
Thank you

I would get the school to check again. If it is a recognised apprenticeship then it should not cost the school anything (if it's a large MAT or state funded school) or at worst 5% of the costs as they'd claim the money.
Original post by PrimaryITE
I would get the school to check again. If it is a recognised apprenticeship then it should not cost the school anything (if it's a large MAT or state funded school) or at worst 5% of the costs as they'd claim the money.

Thanks for your reply, the cost of the apprenticeship would be paid for by the school accessing a government levy, however, it is the unqualified teacher salary they cannot afford to pay me as they will also have to replace my TA position.
Thanks for your reply, the cost of the apprenticeship would be paid for by the school accessing a government levy, however, it is the unqualified teacher salary they cannot afford to pay me as they will also have to replace my TA position.

I am not sure why they feel they need to replace the TA position. The point of the Postgrad teaching apprenticeship was to upskill suitable employees. So rather than the school having a teacher and a TA in the classroom, there would be a teacher and an UQT. As time goes on and the UQT takes on more of a role leading the class the teacher can still provide support and interventions, which should be even more effective in moving learning on. As the UQT become more competent, then the teacher can have more time to spend on other learning needs (e.g. subject release time). It also means as an UQT they'll be getting you for more hours a week.
I agree, I’m disappointed to say the least. We have a very high level of children requiring 1:1 support so I can only imagine that they will have to replace me as I currently work 1:1 with a very complex child. Thanks again for your reply- it’s interesting to think about it from a different angle.
Hello everyone!
Thank you

If you already have TA experience, then are you able to apply to salaried schools direct routes? It may mean moving schools, but if you want to becomes a teacher, this seems like the best way forward!

I am sorry your school have promised this, and then let you down.
Original post by PrimaryITE
I am not sure why they feel they need to replace the TA position. The point of the Postgrad teaching apprenticeship was to upskill suitable employees. So rather than the school having a teacher and a TA in the classroom, there would be a teacher and an UQT. As time goes on and the UQT takes on more of a role leading the class the teacher can still provide support and interventions, which should be even more effective in moving learning on. As the UQT become more competent, then the teacher can have more time to spend on other learning needs (e.g. subject release time). It also means as an UQT they'll be getting you for more hours a week.

This doesn't work if the TA is, for example, employed to support a student on an ECHP, though.
Hello everyone!
Thank you

Hi @Ever Hopeful TA

Great advice above and I agree with all of it. Check for other providers that offer salaried training as you are in an ideal position with all your TA experience. Don't completely write it off and see what else is out there, if you are prepared to travel a little. Best way is to see what is on the Get Into Teaching website and ways to train, to see what other options you have. We can also offer you some 1 to 1 support if you would like to help in any way we can :-)

Hope this helps.
Dan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending