The Student Room Group

primary education at which uni

i am applying for primary education at uni but am overwhelmed with having to pick which unis to apply for as there are so many options. i live in the westmidlands and would prefer to stay nearby, but would consider going to unis further away if they offer a better course/are a better uni. currently my 5 im considering are uwe bristol, birmingham city, winchester - and ones that are further away but are russel group university are glasgow and durham (most russel group unis nearby don't offer primary education). however, i'm also looking at roehampton, reading and bangor as they're quite close, and are ranked quite high in the 'complete university guide' league table. i've searched up uni league tables for which unis are the higher ranking, and best in education specifically as well, but each website says something different so i'm confused and don't know how much i should take that into consideration. also would want to consider unis that have the opportunity of studying abroad with the course etc. any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :smile: thanks
Original post by Cami123
i am applying for primary education at uni but am overwhelmed with having to pick which unis to apply for as there are so many options. i live in the westmidlands and would prefer to stay nearby, but would consider going to unis further away if they offer a better course/are a better uni. currently my 5 im considering are uwe bristol, birmingham city, winchester - and ones that are further away but are russel group university are glasgow and durham (most russel group unis nearby don't offer primary education). however, i'm also looking at roehampton, reading and bangor as they're quite close, and are ranked quite high in the 'complete university guide' league table. i've searched up uni league tables for which unis are the higher ranking, and best in education specifically as well, but each website says something different so i'm confused and don't know how much i should take that into consideration. also would want to consider unis that have the opportunity of studying abroad with the course etc. any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :smile: thanks

i've heard good things about Winchester, Edge Hill, Worcester, Reading, and Roehampton. They were definitely the ones i looked into when i was applying.
Original post by Cami123

Hi there,
It can definitely be overwhelming when you have so many choices - but you've started your research which is a great step!
Have you attended any Open Days at all? Open Days are a fantastic way to learn more about the course and the university its self, we have an Open Day at Bangor this Saturday, you can register here. We also have a Virtual Open Day on December 1st if you can't make this weekend.

With regards to studying abroad you can definitely do that at Bangor, we have options for a placement year or an international experience. A lot of other universities will offer this option as well. It's also worth having a look at what else the university has going on, if they have any sports clubs or societies that you might be interested in joining. Remember going to university is much more than the degree its self - there are so many opportunities available that go along side it and also you will be living there for 3 years so you need to make sure that you actually like the city!

Please let me know if I can help in any way at all or if I can answer any questions for you :smile:
Anna
Hi, if your looking to stay within the West Midlands have you considered/ taken a look at the primary education courses that Newman offers? Newman is known for their wide range of primary teaching courses and for there small class sizes which allows lecturers to offer more one-to-one support. Newman also offers opportunities to study abroad during placement period. Not to mention a fantastic student satisfaction rate within the primary education courses. As a 4th year student at the university staff have provided me with a lot of support and the facilities are wide range including the library. I have attached a link below for you to look at. Please feel free to ask me any questions :smile: https://www.newman.ac.uk/?post_type=course
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cami123

Hi there,

It's great to hear you're thinking of studying Primary Education at university - I'm a third year student! I study at CU Scarborough and absolutely love it. The modules are so varied, there's the opportunity for placements and we also have no exams which is a big bonus for me. I understand that you maybe don't want to move too far for university but there is also our main Coventry campus. I know things run a little bit different there to on our course but it's definitely an option for you. I've popped a link on the bottom of here with a link to my exact course so you can see a little bit more about how we and what we learn.

Please let me know if you've got any questions!

Mel :smile:

Link: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/course-structure/hnc-hnd-degree/primary-education/?term=2022-23
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Alinah_Farouk
Hi, if your looking to stay within the West Midlands have you considered/ taken a look at the primary education courses that Newman offers? Newman is known for their wide range of primary teaching courses and for there small class sizes which allows lecturers to offer more one-to-one support. Newman also offers opportunities to study abroad during placement period. Not to mention a fantastic student satisfaction rate within the primary education courses. As a 4th year student at the university staff have provided me with a lot of support and the facilities are wide range including the library. I have attached a link below for you to look at. Please feel free to ask me any questions :smile: https://www.newman.ac.uk/?post_type=course

Hi, yes i was going to apply for a uni in birmingham but was considering bcu - i ahvent really looked into newman, would you say that uni is better than bcu, if so why?
Reply 6
Original post by Bangor Uni
Hi there,
It can definitely be overwhelming when you have so many choices - but you've started your research which is a great step!
Have you attended any Open Days at all? Open Days are a fantastic way to learn more about the course and the university its self, we have an Open Day at Bangor this Saturday, you can register here. We also have a Virtual Open Day on December 1st if you can't make this weekend.

With regards to studying abroad you can definitely do that at Bangor, we have options for a placement year or an international experience. A lot of other universities will offer this option as well. It's also worth having a look at what else the university has going on, if they have any sports clubs or societies that you might be interested in joining. Remember going to university is much more than the degree its self - there are so many opportunities available that go along side it and also you will be living there for 3 years so you need to make sure that you actually like the city!

Please let me know if I can help in any way at all or if I can answer any questions for you :smile:
Anna

Hi Anna,
yes, ive only attended one open day on campus at the univerisity of birmingham - this was before i found out that i had actually take a different course at uni, as it doesnt offer pathways to become a primary teaching unless i do a degree then get a PGCE.

i have looked at study abroad opportunities at the universities im applying to, but most of them only do a summer school abroad, or for a shorter period of time for theirprimary education course, does bangor offer a full year abroad for the primary education w/ qts course?

yes i agree, i definitely need to do more research on what the universities are like outside of the class - but ive literally no idea where to find any of that and its so hard to find that info for lots of different unis!

also, for the primary education course specifically, do you know if this has a good reputation/student satisfaction at bangor?

thanks for help!
camille
Reply 7
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi there,

It's great to hear you're thinking of studying Primary Education at university - I'm a third year student! I study at CU Scarborough and absolutely love it. The modules are so varied, there's the opportunity for placements and we also have no exams which is a big bonus for me. I understand that you maybe don't want to move too far for university but there is also our main Coventry campus. I know things run a little bit different there to on our course but it's definitely an option for you. I've popped a link on the bottom of here with a link to my exact course so you can see a little bit more about how we and what we learn.

Please let me know if you've got any questions!

Mel :smile:

Link: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/cus/course-structure/hnc-hnd-degree/primary-education/?term=2022-23

Hi Mel,

Thank you for the help, ive just looked at coventry, but the only coventry universities that offer primary education is CU Scarborough or CU London, both of which are 4 ish hours away. is there somewhere else i should be looking or?

Camille
Hi, i actually attended both open days just to get a feel of the campus. Personally I preferred Newman because of the small campus and class sizes which meant that my tutors are able to support ms and communicate more with me compared to a larger class size whereby this may be difficult because of the large scale. Staff are very friendly and feels like a supportive community which i really liked and transport wise it’s accessible for me.
Original post by Cami123
Hi Anna,
yes, ive only attended one open day on campus at the univerisity of birmingham - this was before i found out that i had actually take a different course at uni, as it doesnt offer pathways to become a primary teaching unless i do a degree then get a PGCE.

i have looked at study abroad opportunities at the universities im applying to, but most of them only do a summer school abroad, or for a shorter period of time for theirprimary education course, does bangor offer a full year abroad for the primary education w/ qts course?

yes i agree, i definitely need to do more research on what the universities are like outside of the class - but ive literally no idea where to find any of that and its so hard to find that info for lots of different unis!

also, for the primary education course specifically, do you know if this has a good reputation/student satisfaction at bangor?

thanks for help!
camille

Hi Camille,

Yes we do offer the full year abroad, you can find more information on the International Experience opportunities we offer here:
https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/x131-primary-education-with-qualified-teacher-status-english-medium-course
https://www.bangor.ac.uk/international/exchanges/outgoing/your-options

There will be quite a lot of information on the websites and also on their Student Union website, have a look here to learn a bit more about what goes on at Bangor:
https://www.bangor.ac.uk/student-life/bangor-and-area
https://www.undebbangor.com/

You can also see if the universities do a Virtual Open Day, they usually happen after school hours so they are quite easy to join, Bangor have a Virtual Open Day on December 1st.

Yes, here are a few key facts for you:
- 5th for Student Satisfaction - Education (National Student Survey 2020)
- 5th for Careers Prospects (Guardian University Guide 2021)
- Top 10 for Research Quality (Complete University Guide 2022)

I hope this helps :smile:
Anna
Original post by Cami123
Hi Mel,

Thank you for the help, ive just looked at coventry, but the only coventry universities that offer primary education is CU Scarborough or CU London, both of which are 4 ish hours away. is there somewhere else i should be looking or?

Camille

Hi @Cami123,

I just double checked this and you are correct - the only campuses currently offering the Primary Education and Teaching Studies degree are CU London and CU Scarborough. However, our Coventry campus offers a Childhood, Youth and Education Studies BA (Hons) degree. I have linked this below. The course is a great entry point for further education and professional qualifications such as the PGCE for Primary Education. People who have completed the degree have continued on to become teaching assistants, SEN support officers and learning mentors too.

Please let me know if you need any more course information and I'll do my best to help! Mel :smile:

Course Link: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-structure/ug/hls/childhood-youth-and-education-studies-ba-hons/?term=2022-23#ct-section7
Original post by Cami123

Hi there,

My name is El and I'm a Student Ambassador at Coventry University! I study Illustration & Animation.
I'm aware that you haven't put Coventry down as one of your choices but I just wanted to give you a glimpse into what our university could offer you as you never know, I may something that intrigues you!

On a personal level, I, too, was very overwhelmed by all the options and wanted to stay close to my family in the West Midlands. Coventry caught my interest due to the passion the lecturers had during their introductions and explanations of their topics, along with the large amount of contact you get with the university itself. I have never felt unheard or alone whilst being at this university and have always felt like there is someone to talk to no matter the situation.

Coventry University is the #1 Modern University Of The Midlands, with a rating of 5 stars and currently being shortlisted as the best university of the year- if you want anymore information on why Coventry should intrigue you, here's a link that will take you to our website: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/study-at-coventry/postgraduate-study/c/postgraduate/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qGNBhD3ARIsAO_o7yk-vvC88tUmHozG4mNAwqiZ3h2WAxp581WgNYwr7IUtis1fhqTi9oUaAuwKEALw_wcB

We also have a website about all our teaching and education courses, including Primary Education if you want to have a look: https://www.ucas.com/explore/related/dfed9a6a-89c6-d0c1-e3b9-ccc3ab651bc5?subject=Teaching&studyLevel=undergraduate

Overall, I hope you find the university perfect for you! If you're interested in Coventry University after this message, don't hesitate to reply back to this and either me or another Ambassador will come back to you!

Regards,

El

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending