The Student Room Group

Polish GCSE

Hey guys!! <3 I am starting my GCSE's this year and I am really stressed out about them because I am the only person doing then in my entire year and I feel really left out and feel like people are going to treat me differently after the results come in. Any ideas to help me chill out and not stress as much? I really need help rn guys :frown:
Reply 1
I'm confused by your post. Are you in Year 9/10 and taking (just) Polish GCSE this year?
Reply 2
Original post by EOData
I'm confused by your post. Are you in Year 9/10 and taking (just) Polish GCSE this year?

Hello! Yes I am in year 10 and taking GCSE Polish as well as my core subjects (Religious Studies, English Language and Literature, Mathematics and Combined Science) and I am also really worried about failing and standing out etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Gosia Mazur
Hello! Yes I am in year 10 and taking GCSE Polish as well as my core subjects (Religious Studies, English Language and Literature, Mathematics and Combined Science) and I am also really worried about failing and standing out etc.

So are you taking all these GCSEs in Year 1o whereas your classmates will not take them until Year 11? I can understand taking Polish in Year 10, loads of people take a home language early and Year 10 is generally the best time to do this although I have known people take them as young as Year 4, but why would you take the others early?
Reply 4
Original post by EOData
So are you taking all these GCSEs in Year 1o whereas your classmates will not take them until Year 11? I can understand taking Polish in Year 10, loads of people take a home language early and Year 10 is generally the best time to do this although I have known people take them as young as Year 4, but why would you take the others early?

Yes that is correct. The reason I have to take them early is because if I don't start them early then there is a chance that I might have to repeat a year and learn Polish all over again which would be a nightmare! Another reason why I have to take them early is because no-one in my class is taking Polish GCSE and I am the only one that is so i just feel weird and that I will stand out
Reply 5
Yes that is correct. The reason I have to take them early is because if I don't start them early then there is a chance that I might have to repeat a year and learn Polish all over again which would be a nightmare! Another reason why I have to take them early is because no-one in my class is taking Polish GCSE and I am the only one that is so i just feel weird and that I will stand out

I'm sorry, I still don't really understand why you think there's a problem. You don't have to take all your GCSEs in the same year. Why can't you take everything else at the normal time and just take GCSE Polish this year? Taking a home language sometime before Year 10, with Years 9 and 10 being most common, is done by thousands of students every year, is entirely normal and the vast majority of your classmates won't even notice that you do it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by EOData
I'm sorry, I still don't really understand why you think there's a problem. You don't have to take all your GCSEs in the same year. Why can't you take everything else at the normal time and just take GCSE Polish this year? Taking a home language sometime before Year 10, with Years 9 and 10 being most common, is done by thousands of students every year, is entirely normal and the vast majority of your classmates won't even notice that you do it.

Okay thank you so much for this advice and I am so sorry that I confused you or did not make you understand what I was trying to say. I will take your advice and do my GCSE'S with Years 9 and 10 because I think it will be easier. Thank you again!
Okay thank you so much for this advice and I am so sorry that I confused you or did not make you understand what I was trying to say. I will take your advice and do my GCSE'S with Years 9 and 10 because I think it will be easier. Thank you again!

Most people do their GCSEs over years 10 and 11 in the UK. It's unclear why you're taking them early, if you take them over year 9 and 10 you're taking them even earlier?

It's also unclear if you're the only person doing any kind of GCSEs, or the only person doing specifically GCSE Polish.

Are you studying in the UK or abroad?
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
Most people do their GCSEs over years 10 and 11 in the UK. It's unclear why you're taking them early, if you take them over year 9 and 10 you're taking them even earlier?

It's also unclear if you're the only person doing any kind of GCSEs, or the only person doing specifically GCSE Polish.

Are you studying in the UK or abroad?

I'm studying in the UK and the reason I am doing Polish GCSE is because I am the only Polish person in my class so it will be easier for me to do that and my core subjects.
Reply 9

Just take Polish as soon as you're ready - presumably next Summer (entry deadline mid February, make sure you start getting this sorted soon). Study the rest of your GCSEs at a normal pace and take them at the same time as the rest of your class.
I'm studying in the UK and the reason I am doing Polish GCSE is because I am the only Polish person in my class so it will be easier for me to do that and my core subjects.

As stated otherwise, just take it at the same time as all your other GCSEs. Or, don't take it, if you don't want to? You don't seem to keen to take it in the first place.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by EOData
Just take Polish as soon as you're ready - presumably next Summer (entry deadline mid February, make sure you start getting this sorted soon). Study the rest of your GCSEs at a normal pace and take them at the same time as the rest of your class.

Okay thank you :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
As stated otherwise, just take it at the same time as all your other GCSEs. Or, don't take it, if you don't want to? You don't seem to keen to take it in the first place.

Okay thank you, I will take them all at the same time as it will be easier to keep up and not fall behind in any other GCSEs :smile: Thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest