The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Delph98
Hi everyone
I got Cifas mark a month ago by Barclays Bank and I’m worrying about my Halifax account to be closed 🥲🥲 which there I have 2 savings account with Halifax I’m afraid to loose my money.
Any advice please 🙏🏾? What should I do
Coz I’m lost 😞rn Im really an idiot and stupid 😢😢

Not much you can do. Wait and see if Halifax get in touch. As long as you’ve done nothing unusual then your money with them will be returned even if they close the account.
If they close your account and you are in credit your money will be returned. Not sure about whether you will be able to open an account, that would depend I imagine on the severity of the CIFAS. You certainly won't be able to get any lending though.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
Not much you can do. Wait and see if Halifax get in touch. As long as you’ve done nothing unusual then your money with them will be returned even if they close the account.

Thank you for your advice.
Any suggestions for prepaid card that is good?
Reply 4
Original post by Khanthebrit
If they close your account and you are in credit your money will be returned. Not sure about whether you will be able to open an account, that would depend I imagine on the severity of the CIFAS. You certainly won't be able to get any lending though.

Thanks you for the reply, Any suggestions for prepaid card?? Coz I need for my wages, bills etc….
Original post by Delph98
Thanks you for the reply, Any suggestions for prepaid card?? Coz I need for my wages, bills etc….

It is likely the best route to go down I imagine, don't have any specific suggestions but they are all more or less going to be the same. Just ensure that aren't excessive fees.
Original post by Delph98
Hi everyone
I got Cifas mark a month ago by Barclays Bank and I’m worrying about my Halifax account to be closed 🥲🥲 which there I have 2 savings account with Halifax I’m afraid to loose my money.
Any advice please 🙏🏾? What should I do
Coz I’m lost 😞rn Im really an idiot and stupid 😢😢

The account probably will be closed, but there is no reason for the Halifax to retain the money. Finding another account will be difficult or impossible, as I though even the prepaid cards now have signed up to the CIFAS reporting system.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
The account probably will be closed, but there is no reason for the Halifax to retain the money. Finding another account will be difficult or impossible, as I though even the prepaid cards now have signed up to the CIFAS reporting system.

Thank you. My life is over now 😭😢😢 stress and depression omg what happened to me 😭 why me tho
Original post by Delph98
why me tho

Not wishing to lecture you, but you shouldn't have allowed your account to be used for fraudulent purposes - you wouldn't have been in this position then. It's difficult to have much sympathy with you, I'm afraid.

I'm not being harsh - I'm just being honest with you.
Reply 9
Original post by Delph98
Thank you. My life is over now 😭😢😢 stress and depression omg what happened to me 😭 why me tho

Your life isn't over, you've just got 6 years to potentially cope without a bank account. What happened?
Reply 10
Original post by Surnia
Your life isn't over, you've just got 6 years to potentially cope without a bank account. What happened?

I met a guy on Snapchat asked me about investing and I was like yeah. He made download some apps like Crypto.com, Bitstamp and Gemini then he told me to open Barclays account and he told me send my Barclays account details and after I put some money on account for investing and he told me to wait one day
I received any email from Barclays says that they frozen my account coz of £3k. I was like what I told that guy he replied to me do not worry I will let you what you’re going to say to the bank after that my account was closed and that guy was STop massage me and was like why I didn’t reply till now my Metro bank closed my account as well they said it about National fraud datebase that when I was like WHAT. In that time I did not know about CIFAS. I searched On Google that when I found out about cifas thing.
It’s really shocking 😢😢. I wish I could have knew 😥😰 too late now.
Reply 11
Original post by Reality Check
Not wishing to lecture you, but you shouldn't have allowed your account to be used for fraudulent purposes - you wouldn't have been in this position then. It's difficult to have much sympathy with you, I'm afraid.

I'm not being harsh - I'm just being honest with you.

I did not know if was about fraudulent purposes 🥺
I wish I could have knew but it’s too late now
Any chance to get a prepaid card coz need for my wages, paying bill etc…..
Original post by Delph98
I met a guy on Snapchat asked me about investing and I was like yeah. He made download some apps like Crypto.com, Bitstamp and Gemini then he told me to open Barclays account and he told me send my Barclays account details and after I put some money on account for investing and he told me to wait one day
I received any email from Barclays says that they frozen my account coz of £3k. I was like what I told that guy he replied to me do not worry I will let you what you’re going to say to the bank after that my account was closed and that guy was STop massage me and was like why I didn’t reply till now my Metro bank closed my account as well they said it about National fraud datebase that when I was like WHAT. In that time I did not know about CIFAS. I searched On Google that when I found out about cifas thing.
It’s really shocking 😢😢. I wish I could have knew 😥😰 too late now.

Yeesh, yeah you were hooked almost immediately. I'm unsurprised the bank has acted the way they did.as opening accounts for other people to use for fraud is about as bad as it gets and there is no defence that doesn't make you look either too guilty to have an account or too vulnerable.
Reply 13
Original post by Khanthebrit
It is likely the best route to go down I imagine, don't have any specific suggestions but they are all more or less going to be the same. Just ensure that aren't excessive fees.

Alright thanks
Reply 14
Original post by StriderHort
Yeesh, yeah you were hooked almost immediately. I'm unsurprised the bank has acted the way they did.as opening accounts for other people to use for fraud is about as bad as it gets and there is no defence that doesn't make you look either too guilty to have an account or too vulnerable.

Thank you, I wish I could have knew but it’s too late now
My life Is ruined 😢.
Original post by Delph98
Thank you, I wish I could have knew but it’s too late now
My life Is ruined 😢.

It’s not ruined it’s only 6 years without a bank account or credit they can stop the locks but can’t stop the clocks
Girl you accepted 3k from a guy you met on snap 😂😂🤦🏾*♀️
Here’s some rules to stick by:
Don’t accept paypal/bank transfers/checks from strangers, I’d go so far to say even from friends and boyfriends
If someone you don’t know offers to give you money 🚩 then give them the cashapp tag that’s all they need nothing else
You don’t have to pay to receive money, I don’t care what the reason is if someone is asking you to send £10 for £1000 it’s a scam it sounds dumb but people really do fall for it
And if it isn’t obvious don’t give out your bank information to anyone not even your own family only you should know that
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
It’s not ruined it’s only 6 years without a bank account or credit they can stop the locks but can’t stop the clocks

Original post by skejrjoen
Girl you accepted 3k from a guy you met on snap 😂😂🤦🏾*♀️
Here’s some rules to stick by:
Don’t accept paypal/bank transfers/checks from strangers, I’d go so far to say even from friends and boyfriends
If someone you don’t know offers to give you money 🚩 then give them the cashapp tag that’s all they need nothing else
You don’t have to pay to receive money, I don’t care what the reason is if someone is asking you to send £10 for £1000 it’s a scam it sounds dumb but people really do fall for it
And if it isn’t obvious don’t give out your bank information to anyone not even your own family only you should know that

I know right😰 I thought I’m too intelligent to fall in this trap but look now I’m in it I so dumb stupid 😰😰. I feel ashamed of myself and I’m thinking too much now .
Omg I feel like I want to give up on everything man
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous

Thank you for this really needed 🙏🏾
Original post by Delph98
I know right😰 I thought I’m too intelligent to fall in this trap but look now I’m in it I so dumb stupid 😰😰. I feel ashamed of myself and I’m thinking too much now .
Omg I feel like I want to give up on everything man

No point painfully mulling over what can’t be changed, try and find an account provider outside CIFAS, inevitably your access to consumer finance will be restricted but ultimately you’ll end up just stuck with a **** provider for a few years, yes **** but its not the end of the world.

Latest

Trending

Trending